Favorite Handgun/Pistol purchase of 2017?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    With 2017 coming to a close, what has been your favorite purchase to date?

I bought a Canik TP9SF Elite and could not be happier, kinda puts my Glock to shame (love my Gen4 very much regardless). I don't think there is a better option sub $400 at all (Just my opinion)

-Cerakote Slide
    -Warren tactical sights (fiberboard optic)
    -Nice metal mecgar mags
    -awesome trigger
    -nice big easy to access release
    -match grade barrel rated for over 50k rounds per Canik
    -Lifetime warranty (for the original owner)
    -Comes included with a OWB holster

To date and not to be challenged any time soon, a 1943 UNION SWITCH AND SIGNAL at $1,675 back in 2009 from Al R. at The Gun Rack, Burtonsville and subsequently a victum of Md SB 281
    in June 2014.

Switched out the target sights mounted on the original slide and with
    that upgrade and some appreciation I value it in the $4,000 arena.
    I was born in 1940, grew up within 50 miles of Swissvale, Pa where
    those pistols were made, and the 1911 was my tote weapon during 21 years of active duty in the Army, 1963-1984.

In 2017, I purchased some real neat ones:

1) Two WW1 Colt 1911s.
    2) Two Colt Woodsmans 1935 and 1971 vintage.
    3) A Colt Cobra.
    4) A fine S&W model 37 Airweight in nickel. Along with 2 other very
    decent blued ones.
    5) A bevy of S&W revolvers in .38 and .357.
    6) A wad of Ruger revolvers.
    7) Two Berettas.. a 84 and a 92.

I am a very sick puppy, and as a direct result of this
    uncurable disease, IPF, most of my firearms inventory
    is FOR SALE. My Pulmonologist feels that my exposure
    to Agent Orange on both tours in Vietnam is the most
    likely culprit...not the best news I ever received, but I
    remain strong and I deal with it.

I will have numerous semi pistols and revolvers on consignment
    at Tyler Firearms in Halethorpe, Md (410--921--6393) and at
    the Gooshevn Gun Shop and range complex in
    Warren, Pa. (412--419--4741).

Also for sale are several M1 Garands, two Colt USGI 1911s, two
    CZ "as new" rifles, two gorgeous Steyr Mannlicher rifles in .308
    and 7MM, a Sears Roebuck double barreled side by side 12 gauge
    and a few inexpensive revolvers.

Lew--Ranger63 & Good Guy 176
    US Army (Retired-1984)
    Korea...Vietnam...Vietnam II...Germany

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Right now I have two favorites that were purchased this year (both in 22LR.)

Colt Woodsman
    i-GPBPwp9-L.jpg

Ruger Mark IV
    i-kSSRwcR-L.jpg

I have probably triple the number of rounds through the Ruger, but the trigger and classic lines on the Colt give it a slight edge as my favorite handgun purchase this year.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Right now I have two favorites that were purchased this year (both in 22LR.)

Colt Woodsman
    i-GPBPwp9-L.jpg

Ruger Mark IV
    i-kSSRwcR-L.jpg

I have probably triple the number of rounds through the Ruger, but the trigger and classic lines on the Colt give it a slight edge as my favorite handgun purchase this year.

NIce. I need to get a takedown Ruger pistol. I have a 22/45 but I'm not brave enough to take it apart to clean.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I can’t say I have a favorite, but this year I have moved from compact/subcompact to full size. Having a lot more fun shooting a full size pistol. Next up for me is a G34.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    The Glock hate has been strong with the Gen5 with the frame not matching the slide up front, very slight bulge on the frame now with ambi release, cutout of the grip irritating some, rear sight not being aligned and still using polymer sights, new coating on slide wearing extremely fast for several..
    I think many like myself wanted to see a huge company like Glock innovate with their next gen and it has missed the mark badly. Even the most simple request by loyal Glock owners went unanswered .. Many wanted a truely improved trigger much like the PPQ/Caniks/CZ p10c etc, iron sights as a standard, front serrations, trigger guard being slighly more undercut, improved grip texture and ergo, maybe some small styling details, possibly a larger/easier to use slide release.
    It was a real black eye when Glock lost the military contract, I think their bid was quite a bit more than Sig which was likely why.. beyond the modularity of the sig being able to swap trigger/actual gun component in another frame seemlessly..
    The poly handgun market has been extremely competitive the last 2yrs.. I see a lot of Glock loyalist diverting their attention to other models now like the CZ P10c/P07, Various Sigs mainly P320, HK VP9, Walther PPQ etc
    Really? Perhaps you can provide a list of names of these Glock loyalists. Perhaps you can also tell us how you formed such strong opinions on a gun you can't legally purchase in the state of Maryland at this point. Internet reviews generally aren't reliable sources. Even the reliable ones are largely individual opinions not statements of fact.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Had to get a new vehicle this year so the only gun I've purchased is an LCP II and I don't even have it yet. Just finished the paperwork yesterday.

Regular black or one of the recently released Cerakote models? I went with the cerakoted grey, seems to be a regular issue for those that carry regularly having slight rust issues just keep it nice and oiled up

Really? Perhaps you can provide a list of names of these Glock loyalists. Perhaps you can also tell us how you formed such strong opinions on a gun you can't legally purchase in the state of Maryland at this point. Internet reviews generally aren't reliable sources. Even the reliable ones are largely individual opinions not statements of fact.

Hopefully you have Facebook and Youbtube accessible to yourself.. The Glock community in general is not exactly thrilled about this being the gun of the next 6-7-8yrs
    I don't own one but will as soon as it's on roster, held several and I am one of the few who prefer the finger grooves..the cutout near the magwell would likely irritate me after a box of ammo (I'll know once I own one rather quickly), the frame not matching the slide up front doesn't bother me too much just not sure how that one slipped thru design..
    Perhaps you can step out of Maryland hold one for yourself

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    With buying a new house and the money going into making it what we want, I've only bought one gun this year. I bought a second Sig P224 when I found out that they had been discontinued.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Regular black or one of the recently released Cerakote models? I went with the cerakoted grey, seems to be a regular issue for those that carry regularly having slight rust issues just keep it nice and oiled up

Hopefully you have Facebook and Youbtube accessible to yourself.. The Glock community in general is not exactly thrilled about this being the gun of the next 6-7-8yrs
    I don't own one but will as soon as it's on roster, held several and I am one of the few who prefer the finger grooves..the cutout near the magwell would likely irritate me after a box of ammo (I'll know once I own one rather quickly), the frame not matching the slide up front doesn't bother me too much just not sure how that one slipped thru design..
    Perhaps you can step out of Maryland hold one for yourself
    Facebook and YouTube? You must be kidding me. That's your "information source"? You have to do better than that.

I already have held them and purchased one of each (19 & 17). Just waiting for them to clear the roster.

Not quite sure how you expect the end of the slide to match up with the end of the frame when the design change is to bevel the slide for easy of re-holstering. The frame needs to remain the same width for the accessory rail. It makes perfect sense to those that understand.

Don't own many guns do you?

I own over 20 Glocks.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Facebook and YouTube? You must be kidding me. That's your "information source"? You have to do better than that.

I already have held them and purchased one of each (19 & 17). Just waiting for them to clear the roster.

Not quite sure how you expect the end of the slide to match up with the end of the frame when the design change is to bevel the slide for easy of re-holstering. The frame needs to remain the same width for the accessory rail. It makes perfect sense to those that understand.

Don't own many guns do you?

I own over 20 Glocks.

I actually do own several handguns :)

Over 20 Glocks? Say no more I think I know why you answered the way you did lol

Jul 1, 2012
    Year isn't over yet guys. Keep buying , might find a new favorite :)

I'm not giving up yet on my purchases.

so true...

posted this elsewhere but probably favorite so far is the Kimball (and the bittersweet Lou45).
    Can't shoot the Kimball but it's still damn cool (at least I think it is).

Attachments

• JK-5ns.jpg
      JK-5ns.jpg
      96.6 KB · Views: 341

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County

I got the regular black LCP II. Bet the cerakoted grey looks great (any pics?). I will take your advice and keep mine well lubed.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I actually do own several handguns :)

Over 20 Glocks? Say no more I think I know why you answered the way you did lol
    I answered the way I did because my information is based on personal experience and knowledge not videos of some internet poser trying to generate clicks on YouTube or Facebook.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I am a very sick puppy, and as a direct result of this
    uncurable disease, IPF, most of my firearms inventory
    is FOR SALE. My Pulmonologist feels that my exposure
    to Agent Orange on both tours in Vietnam is the most
    likely culprit...not the best news I ever received, but I
    remain strong and I deal with it.

Lew--Ranger63 & Good Guy 176
    US Army (Retired-1984)
    Korea...Vietnam...Vietnam II...Germany

It sucks that you have to part with such a great collection of firearms you've acquired over the years, Lew. Thank you for your service and for remaining strong.

I'm actually more intrigued by Gen 5 than a lot of things out there right now. Glock has been overdue for some improvements in their out of box trigger quality and it has been reported that they've addressed this issue among other notable things. I'm looking forward to your range report.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    A plasma glue gun in the 80 watt range.

Attachments

• 20171018_012919[1].jpg
      20171018_012919[1].jpg
      51.1 KB · Views: 330

Users who are viewing this thread