• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    I am an at noob. armalite has the wylde chamber, with 1 in 8 twist. comments or concerns about an armalite?

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Based on your title, this oldMan believes you are trolling.
    Definitely not trolling, I just know that asking "what type of gun should I buy" is almost as controversial as politics or religion.

I appreciate all the answers and suggestions that have been given. I will probably stop by and see Dan at BBP since I bought a pistol from him a couple weeks ago.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It not even the broad catagory if "which gun should I buy for (blank)? " . They are specifically " what starter AR- 15 should I buy ? " and " What's the best-est pistol for CCW ? ' . They alternate for top spot, both are unanswerable , and quicklt devolve into other unanswerable debates .

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I am looking into possibly buying my first AR15 style gun sometime in the near future. However, even with MD being restricted to heavy barrel only, there are only about a gazillion options out there. I am looking for a simple, basic, AR. A starter type gun to get my feet wet in this arena. Since I am just getting into this, obviously price will be a major point of concern. I don't want to over-buy, but I also don't want a piece of junk. Can anyone out there recommend a good beginner's AR or some good material to help me make my decision? I see magazines out there but with MD's restrictions, I am guessing that a lot, if not most, of what I see in there is not available to me. Thanks in advance and sorry if this opens up a can of worms.

Go to the vendor section of this forum and look for John Lowe. he has a Windham rifle on sale now. You can't go wrong.

Good Luck!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When you see a AR advertised from an established manufacturer for about a 599 price tag is that generally with or without iron sights or is that for a plain flat top with a clean barrel? I might look in to getting one instead of the obsolete stuff I mess around with now. I only own one and its a twenty inch target model with a fixed butt stock and heavy barrel. Thinking about 6.8 cal with a fixed butt-stock a shorter barrel and a flat top.

DoCo, I think in most cases it will be a 16" carbine with a front sight/gas block and no rear sight or carry handle (flat top). You would need to buy a rear sight, of which there are hundreds of designs. I recommend buying one.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    The Ruger and Armalite both come with flip up rear sights so not an issue. I did an 80% lower ($70), PSA carbine rifle kit ($375) with HBAR swap barrel ($75), a Daniel Defense stock kit ($125) and cheapie Chinese rear sight ($20) so just buy the dang prebuilt one for $550 and be done with it. Go to High Rock and you'll even come home with your first 30 round mag included in the price of the rifle.

The other rifle in the pic is my sons, a 80% lower, PSA free floating upper, Vortec sight and some flavor of rifle gas system HBAR. His was @ $750 with Magpul furniture.

DSC03620.jpg

Both worked excellent out of the box and were very repeatable in spite of the military spec trigger.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Definitely not trolling, I just know that asking "what type of gun should I buy" is almost as controversial as politics or religion.

I appreciate all the answers and suggestions that have been given. I will probably stop by and see Dan at BBP since I bought a pistol from him a couple weeks ago.

I bought my Colt 6721 from Baltimore's Best Pawn in Finksburg. Great service and people. A little cheaper, is the Windham HB rifle, can't remember the model number, but they carry a lifetime warranty, and are supposed to have good customer service and quality control.

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    thanks for feedback, went to buy 2day, preshopped Saturday, had places that I to drop kids off to, so did not buy Saturday. armalite went from 559 to 659, ruger 599 to 699, delton 659 to 799. did not buy after shocking price increases from Saturday until Monday. i'll be trekking to gym ratz or jlowes.
    had they warned me on Saturday I would have paid then and done the paperwork later

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    Just buy a nice Daniel Defense or similar. You will be happier with it in a decade.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You could always build the rifle you want, instead of buying one off the shelf from the MFG parts list, then spending even more money to put the parts on it, that you really wanted.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Wow wow wow now. Don’t forget, OP almost certainly doesn’t have a pre-ban lower sitting around. That means that upper is no good. Has to be a heavy barreled/HBAR upper.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017

Wow wow wow now. Don’t forget, OP almost certainly doesn’t have a pre-ban lower sitting around. That means that upper is no good. Has to be a heavy barreled/HBAR upper.

Are Marylanders allowed to own post ban non heavy barrel ? Just not buy/sell/trade/use in state ? Or are they a no no all the way around ?

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Are Marylanders allowed to own post ban non heavy barrel ? Just not buy/sell/trade/use in state ? Or are they a no no all the way around ?

Note: Clarifying the question and answering:

Upper Receivers are legal to purchase by a Maryland Resident in an non heavy barrel configuration. The catch comes from what are you attaching it to? If the lower that you will be fixing it to was owned prior to FSA2013, you are fine. Other than that, once you attach it, you are building a banned rifle.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Note: Clarifying the question and answering:

Upper Receivers are legal to purchase by a Maryland Resident in an non heavy barrel configuration. The catch comes from what are you attaching it to? If the lower that you will be fixing it to was owned prior to FSA2013, you are fine. Other than that, once you attach it, you are building a banned rifle.

(Not if it is assembled and used out of state.)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I was just at John Lowes today. He has a few more Windhams with 6 more coming in soon. For $599, you're not going to find a better rifle. While I was there he had someone picking up a Windham and 2 other people called to set appointments for later today to pick up 2 more Windhams.

Look on the internet. Some people are still selling them for $800 and more.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And must be disassembled if brought back into state.

yea yea yea... :D

Here’s the thing, if you own NO pre-ban lowers I would NOT have one in maryland. Unlikely, but even if you never assemble it or only put it together out of state, you could get hit with constructive intent.

If you don’t have a pre-ban lower, my suggestion is do not own or have one in the state of Maryland. Full stop. Even a really nicer upper at a cheap price isn’t worth facing a large felony charge if MD happen to be dicks and you get pulled over driving out of state or back in to the state or something with it and a dissassembled lower in your vehicle.

HBAR uppers aren’t rare and they are often on sale for a good price.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Here’s the thing, if you own NO pre-ban lowers I would NOT have one in maryland. Unlikely, but even if you never assemble it or only put it together out of state, you could get hit with constructive intent.

If you don’t have a pre-ban lower, my suggestion is do not own or have one in the state of Maryland. Full stop. Even a really nicer upper at a cheap price isn’t worth facing a large felony charge if MD happen to be dicks and you get pulled over driving out of state or back in to the state or something with it and a dissassembled lower in your vehicle.

HBAR uppers aren’t rare and they are often on sale for a good price.

BGOS. An upper in any state is not a firearm. An incomplete 80% lower is not one either. I bought a PSA rifle kit with standard barrel and swapped the barrel for a $75 HBAR before mating it to a completed lower. Nothing illegal about any point in that sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom