Taurus Handgun recall/settlement almost over?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gmalone3

Sep 12, 2017
    Salisbury
    I tried to search but could only find 1 thread talking about this and it was from a few years back and only 2 posts.

https://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/

It looks as though this lawsuit is about to be over. I actually own one of these pistols its a .40 24/7 It was my first and only pistol I own! (For Now)

Not sure whether to keep it and take the risk or send it back and get the measly $200. Anyone else own one of the models subjected to this settlement? What are you going to do with yours? Thanks in advance!

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Look at the text of the settlement:
    "Settlement Payment Option – Settlement Class Members may elect to return their Class Pistol to the Taurus Companies and receive a payment of up to $200 per Class Pistol.
    Enhanced Warranty – The Taurus Companies agree to modify their existing warranty for all Class Pistols to allow any owner to submit a warranty claim at any time.
    The Class Pistol will be inspected by the Taurus Companies at no cost and repaired or replaced with no requirement that you prove the pistol is defective.
    The Taurus Companies will pay all costs associated with this enhanced warranty, including but not limited to the cost of shipping to and from the Taurus Companies and the cost to inspect the Class Pistol.
    You should anticipate a minimum three week turn-around if returning a Class Pistol for it to be repaired or replaced.
    No repair for the alleged safety defects is currently available, so pistols returned under this option will be replaced with a comparable Taurus G2 (or similar) model pistol at this time. You can receive a replacement pistol only if applicable law permits the shipping of a replacement pistol to your state and municipality.
    If Taurus develops a repair, it can repair rather than replace Class Pistols."
    If I were you, I'd return the pistol for a warranty repair versus getting up to $200 (big emphasis on "up to" because you might not get $200 if I'm reading it right) because what you'll get back is going to be a replacement piece (a G2, which has been getting decent reviews) because according to the settlement document, there is no repair available.

Gmalone3

Sep 12, 2017
    Salisbury
    Look at the text of the settlement:
    "Settlement Payment Option – Settlement Class Members may elect to return their Class Pistol to the Taurus Companies and receive a payment of up to $200 per Class Pistol.
    Enhanced Warranty – The Taurus Companies agree to modify their existing warranty for all Class Pistols to allow any owner to submit a warranty claim at any time.
    The Class Pistol will be inspected by the Taurus Companies at no cost and repaired or replaced with no requirement that you prove the pistol is defective.
    The Taurus Companies will pay all costs associated with this enhanced warranty, including but not limited to the cost of shipping to and from the Taurus Companies and the cost to inspect the Class Pistol.
    You should anticipate a minimum three week turn-around if returning a Class Pistol for it to be repaired or replaced.
    No repair for the alleged safety defects is currently available, so pistols returned under this option will be replaced with a comparable Taurus G2 (or similar) model pistol at this time. You can receive a replacement pistol only if applicable law permits the shipping of a replacement pistol to your state and municipality.
    If Taurus develops a repair, it can repair rather than replace Class Pistols."
    If I were you, I'd return the pistol for a warranty repair versus getting up to $200 (big emphasis on "up to" because you might not get $200 if I'm reading it right) because what you'll get back is going to be a replacement piece (a G2, which has been getting decent reviews) because according to the settlement document, there is no repair available.
    I think you are right. Typically in these types of settlements they set a maximum dollar amount not to exceed and depending on how many owners return the pistol they would receive up to $200 per pistol. If it of people return the pistol that amount could be lower.

I also think you are right that I send it back and let them do whatever warranty repair they feel is necessary. It may be dumb to some but it was my first and is still my only pistol so it has some sort of value to me.

Before I send it back, I will need to get something else to keep around the house. Makes me sleep better at night! Thanks again!

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Before I send it back, I will need to get something else to keep around the house. Makes me sleep better at night! Thanks again!

That sounds like a great excuse to get a new gun. One of our IPs, Tyler Firearms, is selling Taurus PT-809s for $299. I have a PT-809. It's a great piece. I put some fiber optic sights on it to make it even better to shoot. I just took it to the range on Tuesday and I was consistently making 25 yard head shots with it.

Gmalone3

Sep 12, 2017
    Salisbury
    Thank you for that information. I have not seen that gun yet. I was leaning towards a Sig. But honestly because of brand recognition. Have shot a few of them and really liked the feel in my hand.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    That's very important. That's one reason I like the PT-809. I'm not a fan of Sigs because they feel too blocky in my hand. I'm not saying they're bad, they're just not right for me. The same thing with FN. Great guns, just not for me.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    ... I'm not saying they're bad, they're just not right for me. The same thing with FN. Great guns, just not for me.

I wish everyone looked at it that way. Everyone has preferences or there'd only be one brand and model of everything.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I wish everyone looked at it that way. Everyone has preferences or there'd only be one brand and model of everything.

Fan boys annoy me. I teach handgun classes twice a month and I am often asked, "what is the best gun?" I tell my students there is no such thing. There are four categories of guns: 1) bad guns, 2) good guns, 3) better guns, and 4) the gun that's best for you. Bad guns are unreliable, inaccurate, and poorly supported. Good guns are reliable, accurate, and supported, but lack any outstanding features. Better guns are extremely reliable, very accurate, well supported, and feature rich. The best gun for you is a good or better gun that you can shoot well, like the feel of, enjoy shooting, maintain well , afford, and customize if you wish.

Gmalone3

Sep 12, 2017
    Salisbury
    Fan boys annoy me. I teach handgun classes twice a month and I am often asked, "what is the best gun?" I tell my students there is no such thing. There are four categories of guns: 1) bad guns, 2) good guns, 3) better guns, and 4) the gun that's best for you. Bad guns are unreliable, inaccurate, and poorly supported. Good guns are reliable, accurate, and supported, but lack any outstanding features. Better guns are extremely reliable, very accurate, well supported, and feature rich. The best gun for you is a good or better gun that you can shoot well, like the feel of, enjoy shooting, maintain well , afford, and customize if you wish.

I like the way you put that! I run a auto dealership and the 1 - 4 can usually apply in my line of work. But people don't usually ask whats the best car, they want to know whats the best deal! lol

Thanks for all the advice!

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I have a PT111 and have discussed it with Taurus. They do claim to have a fix so anyone sending one in just on the hope of receiving a G2 is going to be disappointed. Also right now Taurus warranty work is taking 8+months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom