Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 28th, 2020, 09:55 PM #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightyear68 View Post
A good discussion for the most part.

Here's an alternative view from a home defense instructor who makes a case against shotguns for home defense altogether. His view of wall penetration is sh*t happens.

I think he is one of the reasons why Clint said the biggest problem with the shotgun is that most people don't understand it.

While the instructor correctly points out that bird shot, like other rounds, will penetrate a wall, he does not make any distinction of the lethality after it penetrates the wall. Other rounds are capable of penetrating additional wall, while bird shot is not. This suggest bird shot is not likely to be lethal once it penetrates a wall, while other rounds are still likely to be lethal.

Shot (buck or bird) is not a precision round. If you want precision with a shotgun use a slug.

60 ft is farther than any house I have lived in. It is too far to reliably use bird shot, but it is also unclear if the results are valid. It looked like he may have shot the bird shot low and fired two shots to knock over the target.
jcutonilli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2020, 12:49 PM #102
Powered by natural gas

Powered by natural gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowPow View Post
I think it's important to remember what Paul actually said @11:54 (emphasis mine): "So, the bottom-line question - is bird shot a viable option in your home defense shotgun? And I would say again: If you use a fairly powerful bird shot load, absolutely yes it is".

He's not advocating that folks use bird shot over better options. He's simply saying that he believes a "fairly powerful bird shot load" is an option. I've got 00 Buck in mine. I don't think he would argue that AT ALL. I'm not an expert.
I never he said he was advocating birds shot, but testing against tissue simulations, and showing the bird shot appearing to cause substantial damage, can lead bird shot defenders to say, "See, it can be an effective defensive round at close ranges."

I just said there were only 2 situation where I might possibly use it.

The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener in a war."

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."
Sirex is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues