• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    They guns start here: https://alexcooper.hibid.com/catalog/51179/gallery-auction--december-6-and-7--2014?tab=0&cpage=2

3 M1 carbines, 3 or '03s a similar number of S&W's a Ruger Mk-2, a luger and few C&R rifles. Not a large number of items, but if you are close. Only a few pics have been posted so far. AC is usually pretty good about getting pics up.

All the usual gripes about buyers premium, sales tax O'Malley etc.

mdonzi

mdonzi
    Feb 26, 2010
    pasadena
    last time they had guns there I left bids on the net and there bid provider canceled all the bids on line the day off sale. so if you bidding go there or call to make a left bid . I missed a nice browning a5 left bid off 650.00 it went for 450.00 feel bad for the consigner off that sale.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Just In: This auction has been cancelled.

I just got the brochure in the mail yesterday. I'm not seeing cancelled on the link I posted. Where do you see that it is canceled

Buyers premium is exactly what it sounds like. I don't see a surcharge for credit cards, but I seem to remember one from a previous auction. Do not expect to pay minimal shipping charges for any auction purchase, anywhere.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    last time they had guns there I left bids on the net and there bid provider canceled all the bids on line the day off sale.

Me too. I was disappointed. Really wanted the Blackhawk I bid on. It took forever to register, enter credit card info to have on file, etc., only to have the bid cancelled. Total waste of time. F 'EM. Ain't got time for games.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I went to the last big gun auction they had.

People were bidding like they were trying to win the last bottle of water on the planet.

And most of the guns were common beaters.

Set your max bid ahead of time and stop when you reach it.

Too may folks get caught up in the emotion.

senetor24

Mar 4, 2013
    The buyers premium is WAY too high. I was there last time and when you factor in the premium the prices full retail+ for used goods.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I went to the last big gun auction they had.

People were bidding like they were trying to win the last bottle of water on the planet.

And most of the guns were common beaters.

Set your max bid ahead of time and stop when you reach it.

Too may folks get caught up in the emotion.

Their auction is expensive, you get people there with stupid money..... and some those are just a little stupid. We went off and on for years to their antique auctions but it was never my favorite, I just didn't care for the one guy. The Mrs. loves that auction though. They do get some really nice items. Some things sell for much more than they are worth but others fall through the cracks. Thats the stuff we usually bought. I can honestly say that I don't think we ever lost money or anything we bought there and resold. Gotta be smart and stick to the prices you set. Remember its 20% BP with 6% tax..... unless you have a Tax ID that is

Just figure 25%.
    $100 bid will cost you $125
    $1,000 will cost ya $1,250

So if you know an item is worth $500 than bidding anything over $400 isn't too bright. Better off finding someone that has one and may need a little Xmas money.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Did anyone get anything from this auction? I signed up it but I never did get over there to look at them. I was going to toss up a couple bids but I really do like to see stuff before I leave bids.

mdonzi

mdonzi
    Feb 26, 2010
    pasadena
    place is a joke. I left bids on there web sight and they did not go thru to actioner. left some on some guns and two rings I wanted for my wife the rings sold for 200.00 each and I left bids off 300.00 and 400.00 they said the sold in house and my bids did not show up what a joke will never deal with them and the consigner looses to

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    place is a joke. I left bids on there web sight and they did not go thru to actioner. left some on some guns and two rings I wanted for my wife the rings sold for 200.00 each and I left bids off 300.00 and 400.00 they said the sold in house and my bids did not show up what a joke will never deal with them and the consigner looses to

I have no problem believing that. I have never left bids at that auction, although I have at many others. We've only bid on stuff when we actually were at the auction. I believe I said it above, its not one of my favorite auctions.

Shame Laurel Auction doesn't deal in firearms. Dale is a top notch auctioneer and probably the most honest one I know. I've been to a couple hundred of his auctions and we've sold there a couple dozens times. quiet guy but considered one of the most honest in MD. That sentiment comes from hundreds of other dealers.... on both sides of the block.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    After my one and only experience with Alex Cooper Auctions I'm not in a hurry to attend any more of their auctions featuring firearms. Their expertise is with rugs not Trapdoors and it shows. I've thought that guns are an afterthought with them, something unpleasant bundled in an estate that they're forced to handle. If I'm going to pay a 20 point premium it'll be with a house that has quality items and knows which end of the muzzle the bullet comes out of.

bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    After my one and only experience with Alex Cooper Auctions I'm not in a hurry to attend any more of their auctions featuring firearms. Their expertise is with rugs not Trapdoors and it shows. I've thought that guns are an afterthought with them, something unpleasant bundled in an estate that they're forced to handle. If I'm going to pay a 20 point premium it'll be with a house that has quality items and knows which end of the muzzle the bullet comes out of.

FYI, Wehrly's has their yearly Gun Auction coming up Jan 1st. I've been to their auction 2 or 3 times but never their Gun Auction.... I remember buying a large set of leather books from them but thats about it. Seemed like an OK house from what I remember. We went to Stoners a lot which is in the same general area.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Wehrly's I've attended on a couple of occasions but went away empty handed. They seem to handle more sporting arms than the military C&R that I look for. Also, stuff for the advanced collectors tends to find its way to other auction houses like Redding and Conestoga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom