• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I was in Virginia today and stopped by Green Top and Bass Pro. Between both locations I was able to buy 500rds of 22LR. In Green Top I overheard talk of gun show in Doswell, VA at VA state fair grounds. My son and I went to check it out. I was amazed. The exact same CCI 22LR was double the price at best table and far worse at others. No bargains to be had. More like rip off prices on Ammo

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    At the HoCo show, I saw CCI SV for 95 a brick. Not unusual. Some folks have reported over 140 for a brick at Chantilly. I don't think those vendors were selling much 22.

Feb 28, 2013
    Bel Air Gun and Pawn has a couple boxes of Remington Thunderbolt on consignment for 7.00 a box.

They also had a few boxes of Remington .223 for 8.00 a box.

Stephen M

Jan 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Not having bought any in several decades, the last price I recall was < $10 for a big blue box of 550 rounds, loose pack, at Walmart IIRC. That price obviously isn't coming back, but what was it going for immediately before the panic? Trying to decide if picking up a 10/22 for "cheaper shooting" is a fool's errand.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Lately, "show prices" have been more along the lines of "what the market will bear" rather than real retail.

As with anything, as long as people are willing to pay for it (and not take a stand with dealers), the prices will stay up there.

Personally, I don't buy much ammo at shows, but when I do it's either already below retail, or I end up not paying the asking price.

Be a smart consumer, rather than just a buyer, would be my advice.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Lately, "show prices" have been more along the lines of "what the market will bear" rather than real retail.

As with anything, as long as people are willing to pay for it (and not take a stand with dealers), the prices will stay up there.

Personally, I don't buy much ammo at shows, but when I do it's either already below retail, or I end up not paying the asking price.

Be a smart consumer, rather than just a buyer, would be my advice.

Wow, a whole lot of confusion in that statement. "What the market will bear" is the consumer's direct way of deciding the value of the goods/services. The consumer votes with his dollar. That is free market at its finest. The retail price is the end price to the consumer;

www.financial-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Retail+Price

Regardless of what is paid by Joe Blow for a box a .22 ammo, that is his retail price. All the other terms thrown about are marketing terms designed to make people think there's some magical way to buy at 'less than retail'.

In a market with rising prices and/or uncertain supply, a smart consumer looks for the best deals and buys small amounts regularly over time, effectively using the principle of dollar cost averaging.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    out here in ky it is selling for 60.00+ a brick at pawn shops, 55.00 a brick at the shows, 50.00 a brick on facebook traders, and 40.00 at buds guns.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Somehow buds guns always keeps .22 in stock, I pick some up every time I go to lexington. 4 box limit on 50, 2 box limit on 100, and one box limit on 500. But I always bring the wife :)

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Another problem could be the people behind the counter at some of the retail stores. My father was at the Walmart in California, MD shopping for other things. He happened to go to the sports section and since the guy working there was busy with another customer asked if it was alright to go behind the counter a step to look at what ammo they had. The guy said yes and finished with the other customer. When he was done he asked my dad if he'd like any 22's. Dad asked how many and how much and dude went in back and brought out what he said was 'the last box'. 50 bucks (or so) for 1000 rnds. The guy working there then said "We've got to take care of our regular customers".

My father hardly ever goes in there and not for ammo. Dad said the way this guy was talking to him, he must have mistook him for someone else, and even though he was happy to get a good deal on 22's it pissed him off that they are apparently holding out stock and only offering to sell it to people they know...

I'm sure it happens everywhere, just kinda jacked up...

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    :innocent0
    Another problem could be the people behind the counter at some of the retail stores. My father was at the Walmart in California, MD shopping for other things. He happened to go to the sports section and since the guy working there was busy with another customer asked if it was alright to go behind the counter a step to look at what ammo they had. The guy said yes and finished with the other customer. When he was done he asked my dad if he'd like any 22's. Dad asked how many and how much and dude went in back and brought out what he said was 'the last box'. 50 bucks (or so) for 1000 rnds. The guy working there then said "We've got to take care of our regular customers".

My father hardly ever goes in there and not for ammo. Dad said the way this guy was talking to him, he must have mistook him for someone else, and even though he was happy to get a good deal on 22's it pissed him off that they are apparently holding out stock and only offering to sell it to people they know...

I'm sure it happens everywhere, just kinda jacked up...
    walmart doesnt do that, do they?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I actually had Somthing for sale in the classifieds not long ago for $50. A guy offered me a brick of .22 for it. I asked where the other $30 was going to come from. To me $50 a brick for .22 is insane. I for one will never pay that much for .22 ammo. I just can't bring myself to do it.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I actually had Somthing for sale in the classifieds not long ago for $50. A guy offered me a brick of .22 for it. I asked where the other $30 was going to come from. To me $50 a brick for .22 is insane. I for one will never pay that much for .22 ammo. I just can't bring myself to do it.

right now ts a sellers market. if you want it/ need it you will pay the price.
    you can wait for "normal" pricing, if and when that happens....:rolleyes:

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Bel Air Gun and Pawn has a couple boxes of Remington Thunderbolt on consignment for 7.00 a box.

They also had a few boxes of Remington .223 for 8.00 a box.

Consignment ammo....wtf

There is plenty of .22 on line if you want to pay .10 to .15 cents a rd. It should be about .03 cents a rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom