• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    So far I'm very happy with my purchase and the barrel seems to breaking in just fine. I shot this five round group at 100 yards this morning between wind gusts using CCI SV. Bought some Eley Tenex to try out but will wait for a less windy day.

Good shooting. The rifle, ammo and shooter play well together.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    Getting ammo together to test lol missing a few brands still lol

Attachments

• IMG-3607.JPG
      IMG-3607.JPG
      148.2 KB · Views: 419

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Getting ammo together to test lol missing a few brands still lol

When you do your ammo tests consider posting pictures of the targets to illustrate the point that in .22's ammo type can change group size and point of impact even though everything else is the same. It would be a public service to the new shooters out there.:thumbsup:

Here is a link to some ammo testing, lots of ammo several rifles at various ranges, click on the rifle and range in the first post to see the targets:
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8711043/m/7531057281

Last edited:

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    When you do your ammo tests consider posting pictures of the targets to illustrate the point that in .22's ammo type can change group size and point of impact even though everything else is the same. It would be a public service to the new shooters out there.:thumbsup:

I plan on also providing Chronograph data for each type. But 18mph winds in the morning this will have to wait to next weekend.

timkz

Oct 14, 2013
    I was thinking this

Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 AO Riflescope w/ Dead-Hold BDC Ret.

Can't go wrong with anything made by Vortex. Just don't forget that you will be mounting this on a 30 moa scope rail and that you will need enough internal scope adjustment if you want to be able zero at close range (25 or 50 yards). I have an Athlon 6-24x50 FFP with side focus and it works very well. It has 62 MOA total internal adjustment and a very nice reticle. Also, Athlon has a lifetime no questions asked warranty just like Vortex.

https://www.amazon.com/Athlon-Optic...&sr=8-1&keywords=athlon+argos+btr+6-24x50+moa

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    Can't go wrong with anything made by Vortex. Just don't forget that you will be mounting this on a 30 moa scope rail and that you will need enough internal scope adjustment if you want to be able zero at close range (25 or 50 yards). I have an Athlon 6-24x50 FFP with side focus and it works very well. It has 62 MOA total internal adjustment and a very nice reticle. Also, Athlon has a lifetime no questions asked warranty just like Vortex.

https://www.amazon.com/Athlon-Optic...&sr=8-1&keywords=athlon+argos+btr+6-24x50+moa

I went with this had it laying around the safe.

Attachments

• IMG-3616.JPG
      IMG-3616.JPG
      55 KB · Views: 310
    • IMG-3617.JPG
      IMG-3617.JPG
      54.3 KB · Views: 321
    • IMG-3618.JPG
      IMG-3618.JPG
      48.7 KB · Views: 319

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    Well, I went and shot today was getting a little upset at the group sizes until I got down to the Federal Target this is the load I zeroed the gun with. The Federal HV also showed promise but I ran short on time to continue testing. This yellow target with all the 1inch dots (100yards) are 10rnd shot groups fired at about the same pace and a short break between every 3 to load the next 3 mags. The Top left target I had to shoot 10rnds again I had to aim at the dot below to even get them onto the paper so that's a good 6inch height increase. This is a real target, not an expert shooter but this is my honest target only reshot the one group to get it onto the paper. The Federal Target, Federal Target HV, and Automatch are the best 3 that I had IMO.

The wind was blowing from left to right if you couldn't tell and was gusting at a few points. From Image left to Image Right or from the 9 O'clock to 3'Oclock.

The Dots at 150 and 200 are 2inches in Diameter.
    The next three pictures.
    1. (10rnds) Federal Target again 100yards with chronograph data and Weather Data
    2. (15rnds) Federal Target 150yards
    3. (15rnds) Federal Target 200 yards ( I pulled the Topmost shot)

Attachments

• 22lr Overall 100yard Target.JPG
      22lr Overall 100yard Target.JPG
      63.6 KB · Views: 295
    • Target 100m Federal Target.JPG
      Target 100m Federal Target.JPG
      107.3 KB · Views: 310
    • Federal Target 150yards.JPG
      Federal Target 150yards.JPG
      98.5 KB · Views: 298
    • Federal Target 200yards.JPG
      Federal Target 200yards.JPG
      57.4 KB · Views: 287

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Excellent! A good example of why ammo testing is important because it make a difference in both group spread and position.:thumbsup:

timkz

Oct 14, 2013
    Still impressed!

Last Sunday I shot 6 (5 shot) groups at 200 yards using the 42 grain, subsonic Eley Contact ammo. This was the best of the 6 groups. The first three shots were on the center low right and I should have stopped then because It would have been a 1/2 moa group :) Instead, I ended up with about a 1 moa group. Still, not too bad for a $400 rifle ;)

Attachments

• RPR_200yards.jpg
      RPR_200yards.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 376

Thwack22

Aug 8, 2012
    NoVa
    After finding quality ammo and establishing a good zero, my friend shoots one hole groups with his RPR .22. He recently made the jump to precision matches and even though shooting from a variety of positions/scenarios is a bigger challenge than slow fire from a bench, he still does well with this rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom