• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So I swore off Benchmade after their anti gun donations and gun destroying habits came to light. Problem is I'm a sucker for the axis lock. Like I own a bunch because it's all I like to carry. Anybody make a similar lock? The ball lock on the Spyderco interested me but I've owned a few spydercos before and find them too bulky for EDC with work clothes with that goofy giant hole. So I'm open to suggestions. Also looking for light and 3-4 inch blade.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Emerson or Kershaw with the wave feature.

I bought a Benchmade with the axis lock. I've carried it maybe 3 days in 2 years.

No comparison imo.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I'm a southpaw so Benchmade's axis lock works really well for me. I have 8 or 9 Benchmade knives as a result, maybe more. I like Spyderco knives a lot, but they often are slow to incorporate ambi handling features beyond the large hole, so I've cooled to them in recent years.

I would definitely look into some of the smaller ZT offerings like the 0450. I have one and really like it. SOG, Kershaw, Boker, and CRKT all make stuff that's decent for being inexpensive, but they aren't going to hold an edge as well as Benchmade knives , for the most part. And they mostly are not made in the U.S. .Anything that has a flipper is going to work well for quick opening, but the axis lock is just so easy to use that I miss it regardless of what other knives I carry. I know Benchmade's patent on the axis style lock expired in the past couple years, so hopefully some other manufacturers will use it soon.

If autos were more accepted/legal everywhere I would definitely recommend something like a Protech TR3.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Buy a used Benchmade, you get a knife you like and they don’t get a new sale out of it. You can still send it to them for sharpening, as well.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    I love my ZT 0450CF when I need something light. The framelock is fairly standard and easy to use. For casual wear, I carry a ZT 0920 or a PM2. The old SOG Trident has a axis-like lock as do a bunch of new knives recently reviewed on YT. Look up any of the YT knife reviewers like Nick Shabazz and you will see them. They will also complain frequently about how overrated Benchmade is due to their recent poor QC and knife quality.

I have a mini-Grip that never sees the light of day. I should sell it before it loses more value.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    As written above, check out ZT (Zero Tolerance). I love mine.

Looked at that carbon fiber 0450 and that is a real nice looking knife.

Light 3-4 inch blade, RAT 1. If you like BM just keep/use what you have. That's my plan.

Own a RAT. Great knife.

What do you use the knife for?

Eating lunch mostly lol. No real crazy hard use but normal stuff. I'm in an office most days.

Buy a used Benchmade, you get a knife you like and they don’t get a new sale out of it. You can still send it to them for sharpening, as well.

Never thought about that. Like the idea.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I'm a huge Buck fan. 5th generation, family owned business with a predominately US made product line.

Their Marksman has a ambi lock on it which may be worth a look for you.

I'll never buy another Benchmade either.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I'm a huge Buck fan. 5th generation, family owned business with a predominately US made product line.

Their Marksman has a ambi lock on it which may be worth a look for you.

I'll never buy another Benchmade either.

Never seen that one before. I like it. I've got some classic buck knives (110, etc) but never really seen their newer stuff. Looks good.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Closest locks are SOG's arc lock, and the Spyderco ball bearing lock, but depending on what it is about the axis that you like, there may be other locks that will work for you. I like the ability to quickly flip the blade closed with 1 hand, and without placing fingers in the blade path, so the spyderco compression lock has those benefits, although it isn't ambi, and does place a cutout on the spine side of the handle, but better detent, and no omega spring. Not sure what you think of as "bulky", most spydies are relatively thin, but can be wide when closed, although IMO not to the point they are uncomfortable or take up too much pocket space. Para 2/3, Sage5, Kapara and the Shaman are all good EDC comp-lock knives. I happen to love the spyderhole, easier to grip and flick open, with no studs to get caught in material you are cutting. Have several BMs, ZTs, and a few other quality brands, but most of the time I end up carrying some flavor of Spyderco comp-lock.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County

Attachments

• 20190515_213917.jpg
      20190515_213917.jpg
      19.1 KB · Views: 173
    • 20190515_213928.jpg
      20190515_213928.jpg
      19.8 KB · Views: 205

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    One of the IP's has a bunch of Benchmades in stock at cost to blow them out. So you would be helping the IP and not Benchmade.
    I have a bunch of them and really like them, but the only way I would buy would be used or a at cost blowout.....

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    One of the IP's has a bunch of Benchmades in stock at cost to blow them out. So you would be helping the IP and not Benchmade.
    I have a bunch of them and really like them, but the only way I would buy would be used or a at cost blowout.....

There are a lot of Benchmades there. I went yesterday and lightened their load by buying a Spiderco Endura and an Emerson wave Delica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom