• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    When you buy a gun under this MD law, is it a requirement for the FFL to make a copy of your driver's license? Or is it just something they do on their own?

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Thanks for the link to the Brady thing, but all I saw there was that a license is legit ID, not that the FFL dealer should copy it. I have bought a few guns since this MD thing went into effect and I don't recall anyone actually taking my license and making a copy of it, and keeping the copy. Is that actually part of the Brady Bill?

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    We do it for a couple reasons. The first being when we go to book items out and we cannot read the customers hand writing. The second being that if anything happens and down the road we receive an ATF trace request, we want definitive proof that this was the person and this was the ID they presented.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Yeah, it's really not enough to fill out a 4473 and then 20 more forms with my SSN, DOB, driver's license number, town I was born in, my occupation, tons of other irrelevant personal information, and then buy a cruddy and useless lock. I also want the FFL to add in their own frigging laws, and make even more demands for personal information from me, because obviously the state of MD hasn't logged enough repetitive details about me into their records.

What really burns my ass about this crap is that they already have you doing so many ungodly, moronic dunce tasks that you just tend to assume all the other idiotic hoops the FFL wants to invent for you is part of the same legal rigamarole and you just turn your license over to the jackinapes without thinking about it. Guess that was on me this time.

As far as helping a person get his gun, no matter how many mix-ups MSP might have, I'll still get my gun. Because it is mine. On the other hand, I know this policy will definitely change where a person decides to buy his firearms.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As far as helping a person get his gun, no matter how many mix-ups MSP might have, I'll still get my gun. Because it is mine. On the other hand, I know this policy will definitely change where a person decides to buy his firearms.

It's not just MD...

I've made purchases in other states, they make copies also.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I don't think so. I've bought 2 pistols this year from 2 different FFL's ...NO They didn't copy our drivers licensce.. Wife bought one and I bought one. 2 long guns in last 2 years from different FFL's and NO they did not.
    Brady Law...Show me!!

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    I've bought from two other places even in communist MD where my license wasn't copied. I've certainly never had it copied in WV or PA. So there's no need for me to open my own store when I can simply go to one that doesn't heap brand new indignities of its own upon the ones the wretched refuse of Annapolis have already piled upon me.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I've bought from two other places even in communist MD where my license wasn't copied. I've certainly never had it copied in WV or PA. So there's no need for me to open my own store when I can simply go to one that doesn't heap brand new indignities of its own upon the ones the wretched refuse of Annapolis have already piled upon me.

Yes, in PA they make copies.

The only difference between a copy, and the information recorded on the 4473 is your picture.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    It's been a couple of years since I worked for a FFL selling guns but in 2003 it was not required.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Don't be pissed at your FFL. Be pissed at the people who have forced their hand. Your FFL is just trying to do the best they can in a legal quagmire. There are plenty of other business they could go into where they could make the same or more money with substantially less headache.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You have to ask for an ID that is "generally accepted in business transactions" or something like that whether you are an FFL01, FFL03 or whatever from an unlicensed person. If the ATF comes and wants you to prove that you did, then what?

Last edited:

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    If you have problems with the law don't blame the FFL. They're good people trying to run a law-abiding business.

Scream at your political representatives.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    Don't be pissed at your FFL. Be pissed at the people who have forced their hand. Your FFL is just trying to do the best they can in a legal quagmire. There are plenty of other business they could go into where they could make the same or more money with substantially less headache.

+1

I'm surprised anyone would get their panties in a bunch over this, especially at the FFL. EVERY single FFL I've used are usually run by guys like me that thing half of the laws and rules are crap, but do their best to CTA/CYA while also trying to respect my personal rights.

It isn't like a copy of my DL contains any information that isn't easily found online. Nor would ANY FFL I know use that information other than in a responsible manor.

If a grocery store, or some other business wanted a copy of my DL I might have an issue. As for my local FFL, I support them covering their ass since they support the same things I am interested in and put up with the BS laws that make their job harder to do enjoyably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom