• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    A Marine buddy of mine will be going on a deployment in a few months and I was thinking about getting him a Strider PT. Anyone have experience with this knife? I carry a Spyderco Delica 4 but I don't mind the cost of the Strider because the construction, materials, and lifetime warranty are worth it to me for an extreme duty knife.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I wouldn't recommend them. I'm a knife enthusiast and Strider has a reputation for being an overpriced lemon in a ziplock bag.

Consider a piece from the Kershaw ZT line... or, maybe get him a small fixed blade.

I always thought cheap/dependable and easily replaceable was the way to go with knives/tools for guys like that.

Good luck.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I wouldn't recommend them. I'm a knife enthusiast and Strider has a reputation for being an overpriced lemon in a ziplock bag.

Consider a piece from the Kershaw ZT line... or, maybe get him a small fixed blade.

I always thought cheap/dependable and easily replaceable was the way to go with knives/tools for guys like that.

Good luck.

That's a bold statement.
    Have you any personal experience with Strider knives?
    I have handled quite a few over the years and owned a couple. I have not seen anything but top notch quality from Strider.
    Some of the ZT knives are nice but they tend to be the ones designed by Strider.

Good luck.

I own a GB and know the guys who make them. I'm calling BS on your post. I also own a ZT, chris reeve, elishewitz, brend, russell, microtech, kershaw, spyderco, kabar, and benchmade.

A Marine buddy of mine will be going on a deployment in a few months and I was thinking about getting him a Strider PT. Anyone have experience with this knife? I carry a Spyderco Delica 4 but I don't mind the cost of the Strider because the construction, materials, and lifetime warranty are worth it to me for an extreme duty knife.

Strider is good kit. I own one. I ordered it in person at the shop...

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    That's a bold statement.
    Have you any personal experience with Strider knives?
    I have handled quite a few over the years and owned a couple. I have not seen anything but top notch quality from Strider.
    Some of the ZT knives are nice but they tend to be the ones designed by Strider.

Yes, owned an SnG. I've also handled many at shows and such.

I'll stick to what I said.

:thumbsup:

Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    Ravis, I'm interested in what you think makes them a overpriced lemon in a bag. Since you have been a owner what did you not like about it? The right type of knife differs depending on the person. Some guys will treat knives like crap and won't care if they break them or lose them because they get cheap knives. I'm trying to make an informed decision so I'd like to hear what everyone thinks.

Travisistheone, I was thinking PT since it was small. I think he is more likely to carry a small knife since I know he carries a SOG multitool and there is only so much you want to carry at once. Also, when he needs a bigger knife he has a bayonet.

In the past I have been issued a Applegate/Fairbairn folder and a Benchmade switchblade, I didn't like to carry either because with body armor and my other gear they were slightly too big. Plus the switchblade was illegal to carry anywhere once I was home.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Ravis, I'm interested in what you think makes them a overpriced lemon in a bag. Since you have been a owner what did you not like about it? The right type of knife differs depending on the person. Some guys will treat knives like crap and won't care if they break them or lose them because they get cheap knives. I'm trying to make an informed decision so I'd like to hear what everyone thinks.

Travisistheone, I was thinking PT since it was small. I think he is more likely to carry a small knife since I know he carries a SOG multitool and there is only so much you want to carry at once. Also, when he needs a bigger knife he has a bayonet.

In the past I have been issued a Applegate/Fairbairn folder and a Benchmade switchblade, I didn't like to carry either because with body armor and my other gear they were slightly too big. Plus the switchblade was illegal to carry anywhere once I was home.

The SnG is not much bigger, but it fills the hand. The PT is very usable, but can be tougher with gloves or any aggravating circumstance. While Striders are top notch, check out Emerson. They are cheaper and still made in the US, and hold nearly the same legendary reputation.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Emerson are good stuff, stainless and titanium liners, g10 scales, cm154 blades,and made in the US.
    I have 4-5 of them sitting around and have carried one daily for many years. That said they are not Striders.
    While a little harder to sharpen I thing s30v holds an edge better and overall is a superior steel. That on top of the size difference and I think the Strider will stand up to more abuse. Or as mentioned somewhere earlier in this post check out the Zero Tolerance 0300 which has many of the features of the Strider (as they had a hand in designing it) at about half the price.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    benchmade rift axis lock is unbeatable unless you have a crkt m21-14sf with the auto lawks which turns a folding knife into a fixed blade every time you open it. it is also very fast on the draw not so quick on the closing but who needs to close there knife fast lol.i bet strider is an amazing knife but i will never be able to justify paying 300$+ for a 3 1/2" knife blade ever, unless it is made of diamond lol you said you carry spyderco. get him a para just as good as the strider IMO. or a zt 0200.

my vote is m21-14sf might be to big but it is actually really slim yes aus 8 is no 154cm or s30v but it is great for a work knife which is what he needs it for so the m21 is a great military knife.

so many other knives that are on par or even better then strider that you can get for around the 150$ range and cheaper!!!!! so why pay double for nothing more?????? also all of these knife companies will replace there knives no questions asked.

but if paying 300$ + makes you feel good about the knife by all means go for it i wish i could pay that much.

but then again i would not buy a strider if i had that kind of money i would get a surefire!!!!!!!!!!!:D the delta is my dream knife

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom