• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Well. You'll find most people here hate them. Retention isn't consistent, and they tend to be very tight when you first get them. I've heard of the little grommets that hold it together pull through and if someone tries to disarm you the holster will fall apart.

That being said, I carried a glock 17 in one the three or so years I worked at the gun shop. Prior to that, when I lived in PA, I carried a G23 (yes, I USED to own a .40) for a few years. This was of course before I knew better. But I never had any problems.

Without being funny, your hi-point is very bulky and heavy. I don't know how that would affect an inexpensive holster like a fobus. Save your receipt. Carry it around the house for awhile and if it isn't working out, return it. My .02

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I have the previous model HP-2 ...

Thinking about getting one of these. I like the look, and it seems to keep the pistol up high where I like it.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=XGHPP&=sourcegoogleps

Anyone have a Fobus that can offer a warts and all review?

I went cheap and bought the HP-2 on a closeout for $12.95 and free shipping.
    It wears well and is comfortable, but the fit on the Hi-Point 9c is tight, so you tend to pull it off your belt if you're not careful. The newer Evolution model has a retention spring/screw adjustment, so you can make it as tight or lose as you want.

If you're looking for a dual mag pouch, the Fobus model 4500 works. It's for single stack 45. The single-stack Hi-Point 9mm works, but it's a little lose.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    They are OK within their design parameters.

They work, as far as keeping the gun where it belongs and I still have a couple that I use on occasion.

I find the paddle very uncomfortable after a while and you have to cinch the belt pretty tight to ensure that the holster doesn't come out with the gun.

What I do use it for is when I'm working on the property and don't want to use my IWB holster. They also are convenient in situations where you may be putting it on and taking it off often.

That being said, now that I've used some good holsters, I find the Fobus to be less and less an option. The comfort of a better designed holster makes it worthwhile, but they are also more expensive.

For $20, it is what it is.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Well. You'll find most people here hate them. Retention isn't consistent, and they tend to be very tight when you first get them. I've heard of the little grommets that hold it together pull through and if someone tries to disarm you the holster will fall apart.

That being said, I carried a glock 17 in one the three or so years I worked at the gun shop. Prior to that, when I lived in PA, I carried a G23 (yes, I USED to own a .40) for a few years. This was of course before I knew better. But I never had any problems.

Without being funny, your hi-point is very bulky and heavy. I don't know how that would affect an inexpensive holster like a fobus. Save your receipt. Carry it around the house for awhile and if it isn't working out, return it. My .02

Thanks! The Gunmate nylon holster I got yesterday is not designed for such a heavy gun, and it was sagging a bit. I imagine this also had to do with my belt being kinda narrow and not too rigid.

There is a Fobus designed for the HP .45, but I don't know how it would work for long time carry.

I'm probably going to pick up another pistol at a gun show at the end of July, so I might just wait and see what I get then and carry a smaller, lighter pistol.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Thanks! The Gunmate nylon holster I got yesterday is not designed for such a heavy gun, and it was sagging a bit. I imagine this also had to do with my belt being kinda narrow and not too rigid.

The belt is the key, much more than I would have ever believed. Honestly, I'd be sure to invest in a good belt before starting the great holster hunt. You'll not have any means of evaluating the holster itself without a decent belt.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    They are OK within their design parameters.

They work, as far as keeping the gun where it belongs and I still have a couple that I use on occasion.

I find the paddle very uncomfortable after a while and you have to cinch the belt pretty tight to ensure that the holster doesn't come out with the gun.

What I do use it for is when I'm working on the property and don't want to use my IWB holster. They also are convenient in situations where you may be putting it on and taking it off often.

That being said, now that I've used some good holsters, I find the Fobus to be less and less an option. The comfort of a better designed holster makes it worthwhile, but they are also more expensive.

For $20, it is what it is.

I couldn't agree more. Once you get a nice holster, the fobus starts to show it's flaws. I do still occasionally use a fobus around the farm, but I've really come to appreciate a well made holster. For a high point though, I don't think I'd shell out $75 for a bianchi rig. No offense intended.

Bottom line, if I were you I'd buy one (and I think your mind is probably made up anyway). It's lightyears ahead of that nylon Uncle Mike's you have. Just save your receipt.

I would consider buying a new handgun for serious carry though. Something with a little more QC (especially with Hi-Point's magazine reputation). You'll find that a lighter design is more comfortable to carry on a regular basis. But you can do that as funds allow.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I couldn't agree more. Once you get a nice holster, the fobus starts to show it's flaws. I do still occasionally use a fobus around the farm, but I've really come to appreciate a well made holster. For a high point though, I don't think I'd shell out $75 for a bianchi rig. No offense intended.

Bottom line, if I were you I'd buy one (and I think your mind is probably made up anyway). It's lightyears ahead of that nylon Uncle Mike's you have. Just save your receipt.

I would consider buying a new handgun for serious carry though. Something with a little more QC (especially with Hi-Point's magazine reputation). You'll find that a lighter design is more comfortable to carry on a regular basis. But you can do that as funds allow.

You and I are definitely on the same wavelength here. Yesterday was kinda spontaneous. I'm not going to OC until I have something other than a giant hog leg strapped to my hip. It just isn't practical.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Yup

The belt is the key, much more than I would have ever believed. Honestly, I'd be sure to invest in a good belt before starting the great holster hunt. You'll not have any means of evaluating the holster itself without a decent belt.

Pure truth. I'm pretty sure that my standard belt is 2" wide. A "dress" belt isn't going to cut it.

I actually like my Uncle Mike's nylon belt holster. I've used it since October 2000 and it retains and conceals very well.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Joe, as others in the thread have said the belt is just as important as the holster when it comes to carry. What is your waist size? I have a supplier here in SoMD that will custom make belts to my specs. and they are not expensive. These belts are made using the same leather strapping used for horse harness. Extra thick and stiff to prevent the roll over caused by a heavy gun. Do you plan to carry on the right or left side? This will determine where the extra stitching/stiffening goes. What color do you prefer? You can get any color you want as long as it is black or brown. The commercial CCW belts are great but they cost way to much. I will be at their shop tomorrow if you want me to pick one up for you.

Oh and for the Fobus holster is concerned, I use one for IDPA when carrying my 1911. It works good for that purpose but I have recently purchased a BlackHawk CQB paddle that I like much better. It is more expensive but it should last. Mdeng

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's a cheap uncomfortable holster that is too bulky for CC, has poor retension for OC, but can be OK if you just want to practice holster draws at the range.

For carry, you don't need to spend hundreds on a full out custom rig, something decent from Desantis, Galco, Milt sparks, etc.. Figure $50-$75 for a decent, comfortable and secure holster. Better holsters get you better retension, more comfort, better durability, and better fit to you and the gun.

Norton brings up a good point about the belt, the belt must fit the paddle or loops, all too often a holster has loops larger than the belt someone uses with it and allows the holster to slip around. The belt must be rigid and strong enough to support the gun, and hold it steady.

Gino z32

that car guy
    May 17, 2011
    Bennsville, MD
    As everyone has said, they're decent in a bind, but there is better out there. I have a Fobus paddle for both my Beretta and USP. Personally I like them as a paddle holster. My experiences are only really with drop leg rigs, but decided to get a paddle for any SHTF situations. They are great for putting on/removing quickly and in a bind. Being a passive retention system has it's upsides as well as it's downs. At least with the newer evolution series, because of the design of the holster/retention system it is difficult (read: not impossible) for a third party to take the weapon from the holster. The draw has to be quick and upwards following the cant of the holster otherwise it will just jam up and end up either giving yourself a wedgie or pulling the entire holster out (if you do not have a decent belt). You figure if someone is trying to take your weapon, they will be pulling up and out not straight up and slightly rearward, so it's not like as soon as they touch the gun it will drop out. With the retention friction set properly (via the retention screw), it is enough that you can turn the holster with weapon upside down and shake and the weapon will not drop out. I definitely would not trust it rolling around on the ground the same as I trust a Safariland 6004, but for what it is and for the price, IMO they're decent holsters.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I actually like my Uncle Mike's nylon belt holster. I've used it since October 2000 and it retains and conceals very well.

Is it an IWB? I have an uncle mikes IWB holster that works well with just about all of my carry guns and is always on standby. The uncle mikes paddle and pancake holsters also do ok. But the one joe has is flimsy and has about 1" of purchase with the belt loop. A large and heavy hi-point would definitely max out the best holster design out there (belt holster anyway).

Uncle mikes makes serviceable stuff but I don't think his rig was right for his purpose. Not a bust on uncle mikes :D

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I did a weight comparison. The HP, unloaded, is 35 ounces. It has a 4.5 inch barrel. The Colt Python 6 incher is 38 ounces.

For now, the holster seems to be a good fit, but the belt is not. The holster fits the pistol just fine, and if it sat a little more steady on the belt, would be an easy draw.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    Joe, I bought a Fobus since I did something stupid and bought a pistol that just came out and they were the only one offering one that wasn't leather. The holster is OK, but it began to separate after about 2 years, and very little use.

And, Blaster, I love your avatar.

I guess I'm a bit of a holster elitist. I don't care for the fobus. OTOH - Joe's choices may be a bit limited by his firearm of choice. I haven't seen a lot of makers turning out holsters for the hi-point line. I'm not knocking hi-point at all it's just simple economics. You make what you expect to sell. While a bunch of people own hi-points there probably is not a big demand to carry them.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I guess I'm a bit of a holster elitist. I don't care for the fobus. OTOH - Joe's choices may be a bit limited by his firearm of choice. I haven't seen a lot of makers turning out holsters for the hi-point line. I'm not knocking hi-point at all it's just simple economics. You make what you expect to sell. While a bunch of people own hi-points there probably is not a big demand to carry them.

This is exactly what I am finding. Other than "custom made" holsters at the gun shows, I am finding limited choices. The ones at the shows cost as much as the flippin' gun cost.....:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom