• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Colt AR-15 Sporter for $189.50 - circa nineteen sixty something - a little out of date!

"The AR-15 Sporter weighs only 6 pounds. Its .223 cal , 55 grain bullet has a velocity of 3,100 fps."

"Every AR-15 Sporter is factory targeted at 100 yards."

"If you're a hunter, camper, or collector, you'll want the AR-15 Sporter."

Wow - ain't that the truth! :D

Attachments

• colt-ad.jpg
      colt-ad.jpg
      62.4 KB · Views: 870

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Very nice!

In contrast, I received an e-flyer yesterday with a Colt CR6920 (much heavier than 6-lbs, btw!) available at $920 …

And, there is the thread on the occasional PSA blem (if I understand it correctly, actually likely FN South Carolina plant reject) complete lowers for $120 which coupled with DelTon complete uppers provide a basic Modern Sporting Rifle for only $440, say under $500 cuz it’ll need either iron sights or a dot, at a minimum.

Still, to think of how many of those Colt 6-lb SP-1 rifles for $189 I passed up back in the 70’s boggles my mind!

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    FYI - $189.50 in 1965 is $1,634.49 in 2021 dollars. So this would have been somewhat expensive. Probably could have bought a nice Winchester Model 70 and a nice scope for that price back then.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I kept a copy of Shotgun News from early 1986 with Colt M-16s and Colt AR-15s in the same ad being advertised for exactly the same price, the only difference in cost being the exorbitant tax stamp.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Hehe, even more interesting question: what does one of those SP-1’s fetch nowadays? Used, even?!

I'd guess the old barrels would be rusted out if not kept in a humidity controlled environment.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I kept a copy of Shotgun News from early 1986 with Colt M-16s and Colt AR-15s in the same ad being advertised for exactly the same price, the only difference in cost being the exorbitant tax stamp.

Goes to show the premium you pay for the latest and greatest technology. And I do think the AR-15 was ahead of it's time. The early criticism of the rifle was from left-wing propaganda and in-fighting within DoD, IMHO.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Goes to show the premium you pay for the latest and greatest technology. And I do think the AR-15 was ahead of it's time. The early criticism of the rifle was from left-wing propaganda and in-fighting within DoD, IMHO.
    Really goes to show what WAS happening before demand was artificially spiked by the FOPA '86 amendment making sales of new automatic rifles illegal.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

So that would be $470 today. That time period was probably the time to buy a lot of these guns.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    How were they getting those early guns so light ?? or better yet how accurate was the scale they used. I have one of those Proto models from Brownells, feels like a toy it is so light (shoots like dream) and even it is closer to the 7 pound mark.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    FYI - $189.50 in 1965 is $1,634.49 in 2021 dollars. So this would have been somewhat expensive. Probably could have bought a nice Winchester Model 70 and a nice scope for that price back then.

Yeah, people forget inflation.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I know a man who had a gun shop in Baltimore and purchased several pallets of M16's. He claimed it was his retirement fund. He ended up closing his shop after 2013 and retiring from his full time job a few years later. I never got the exact number of rifles purchased but the price quoted me was $163 per rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom