• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm looking to join one of the associated gun clubs but I've heard some are more friendly than others in regard to modern sporting rifles. I don't want a bunch of fudds looking down their noses at me or not giving 100% support to the 2A rights of people who own them. I have never filled out a CMP affidavit and although I have no real interest in the CMP I will if required. Are there any AGCs that are more black rifle "centric" in the central MD region?

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I'm looking to join one of the associated gun clubs but I've heard some are more friendly than others in regard to modern sporting rifles. I don't want a bunch of fudds looking down their noses at me or not giving 100% support to the 2A rights of people who own them. I have never filled out a CMP affidavit and although I have no real interest in the CMP I will if required. Are there any AGCs that are more black rifle "centric" in the central MD region?

Baltimore Rifle Club

Their motto is "talk less, shoot more". Never has the subject of black rifles come up in any negative connotation. I shot my ARs at a club event a few years ago, and was surrounded by others doing the same. :thumbsup:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Another vote for BRC. inexpensive, easy. Once you join you will find a lot of people shooting EBRs and no one really cares.

Well, unless your rifle is more cool than theirs, in which case, they might. Might care to shoot it, that is. If you oblige.

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    BRC is also a founding member, and one of the largest. 1 meeting per year, and that is primarily for renewals. Yeah they talk about stuff, but most people go just to re-up. Which you can do via snail mail if you want.

I go for the free donuts and coffee.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I gave up on the AGC this year. After 29 years, I'm done with the politics and the bold face lies being fed to the members.

Good luck to all. :outta her

bkuether

Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I gave up on the AGC this year. After 29 years, I'm done with the politics and the bold face lies being fed to the members.

Good luck to all. :outta her

It's 7 minutes away from my house. It would take a LOT OF BS to make me drive further.

I can take it, at least for now.

The RSOs are good now, they had a semi bad run last year. That had me a bit miffed but it was fixed.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The first club I joined at the AGC was Baltimore Rifle. They did absolutely nothing! No meeting, no events or shoots, didn't even hear from them when it was time to renew.I have heard that things are different now but, that type of club just wasn't for me. I joined Stemmers Run and in my first year, was introduced to highpower! I became addicted to the sport! I eventually became their V.P. Good people with similar interests and very helpful along the way. Later on, I joined Monumental, a very active club with some good people but, just wasn't my cup of tea. I must give Monumental kudos for their excellent junior program! I joined Chesapeake R&P because at the time, they were the dominant highpower club in the state. Became a member of their number one team and shot alongside the very best! I served as their trustee for 10 years. Eventually, the hardcore highpower guys from Chesapeake moved to Maryland Rifle Club. Since then, MRC has dominated highpower. When MRC's executive officer was diagnosed with cancer, his last request of me was that I take over his position as XO. I have served in that position since. If you are interested in highpower, Maryland Rifle Club is THE club! If you just want to join a club to be able to use the facilities, any club will do as all members have the same privileges to use the facilities.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To echo the above , there are no frills Clubs , Specialized Clubs , and all around Full Service Clubs .

All are represented in AGC .

No right or wrong answer , just be an informed prospective member and take your choice .

I will generally observe that Full Service Clubs are enriching and rewarding. But someone could be getting their gun related activity and comradarie elsewhere, and just need a path to additional shooting venue at AGC, YMMV .

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The first club I joined at the AGC was Baltimore Rifle. They did absolutely nothing! No meeting, no events or shoots, didn't even hear from them when it was time to renew.I have heard that things are different now but, that type of club just wasn't for me. I joined Stemmers Run and in my first year, was introduced to highpower! I became addicted to the sport! I eventually became their V.P. Good people with similar interests and very helpful along the way. Later on, I joined Monumental, a very active club with some good people but, just wasn't my cup of tea. I must give Monumental kudos for their excellent junior program! I joined Chesapeake R&P because at the time, they were the dominant highpower club in the state. Became a member of their number one team and shot alongside the very best! I served as their trustee for 10 years. Eventually, the hardcore highpower guys from Chesapeake moved to Maryland Rifle Club. Since then, MRC has dominated highpower. When MRC's executive officer was diagnosed with cancer, his last request of me was that I take over his position as XO. I have served in that position since. If you are interested in highpower, Maryland Rifle Club is THE club! If you just want to join a club to be able to use the facilities, any club will do as all members have the same privileges to use the facilities.

How long ago did you leave Chesapeake. That's been my club since I joined. Chesapeake lost a lot of it's good members and I guess I never took up any of the slack when that occurred. My beef is not with the individual clubs but with the BoD. I've talked about it here ad nauseam. Far too many dollars being spent without having them in the bank first.

But I won't bring this subject up again. Since I no longer belong to any club there, it's not my problem any longer. :wave:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    How long ago did you leave Chesapeake. That's been my club since I joined. Chesapeake lost a lot of it's good members and I guess I never took up any of the slack when that occurred. My beef is not with the individual clubs but with the BoD. I've talked about it here ad nauseam. Far too many dollars being spent without having them in the bank first.

But I won't bring this subject up again. Since I no longer belong to any club there, it's not my problem any longer. :wave:

I think it was around 2007- 2008 when I left. I still have the silver appreciation cup they gave me back in 2005 for serving as their trustee for 10 years. Those were the years when the AGC meetings would run until 1 or 2 in the morning!
    I shot on their main team with John Harrison, Bill Cooney and some others.
    The club president was Paul Moody. His wife Alice set a national 1000yd bench rest record. If you were there back then, we probably know each other.

I'm with you on what you say about the way the AGC is run!:sad20:

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    It's 7 minutes away from my house. It would take a LOT OF BS to make me drive further.

I can take it, at least for now.

The RSOs are good now, they had a semi bad run last year. That had me a bit miffed but it was fixed.

The RSO that always asks if you're going to be shooting sitting or standing always cracks me up. I might try a half squat one day just to see his reaction.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think it was around 2007- 2008 when I left. I still have the silver appreciation cup they gave me back in 2005 for serving as their trustee for 10 years. Those were the years when the AGC meetings would run until 1 or 2 in the morning!
    I shot on their main team with John Harrison, Bill Cooney and some others.
    The club president was Paul Moody. His wife Alice set a national 1000yd bench rest record. If you were there back then, we probably know each other.

I'm with you on what you say about the way the AGC is run!:sad20:

Yep, I was there for those years. I even won one of the meeting door prizes. John was a tremendous shooter. One of the best I've ever seen. Paul and Alice just about ran the entire club for many years. Those were the good old days. I stopped going to meetings after the AGC BoD played their little mortgage game with the property behind the range. I stopped buying a range badge when the lies continued. I finally gave up on the entire AGC because I don't agree how they financed things they didn't have the money to buy. I don't run my house that way, I'm not going to be part of it by my gun range.

Short term loans are one things, but to mortgage the entire range, just so we can have the pretty little things is wrong.

I tried for 6 months to find out where the money went from the lead reclamation project. I wish everyone luck and the club nothing but the best, but the lies year after year finally got to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom