• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justemily

Dec 26, 2010
    Maryland
    Agreed about the metal I use it on my German daggers and swords but it has also been great for my WWII German leather bayonet frogs, hangers and recommended by a noted collector and author of militaria. It will help seal and prevent any additional deterioration.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Neatsfoot oil will soften leather, which you may or may not find desirable. Different articles will require different methods. Sometimes the best solution is to do nothing. Next best is to be sure that whatever you do is reversible, if possible.

There are a number of museums whose curators are deeply involved with these questions. Emailing a few experts might bring good results.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Okay ... not all leather is the same, and it can't all be treated correctly with the same products.

Old, dried-out leather needs to be reconditioned. You can slosh lots of different stuff onto it and make it soft, but you want something that will soften and conserve it. You don't want to put some oil onto it that's going to make it "mushy" over time, and that will help to degrade it over time.

Fairly new leather, that's still supple, just needs something to protect it and keep it supple. Stuff like Lexol is okay for this purpose, but Lexol (and many other leather conditioners) isn't good to put onto old, original leather that's dried out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom