• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    With the flammable surcharge on powder and the weight of bullets it looks like its probably best to shop brick and mortar like Cabellas for those components.

Graf & Sons looks good for primers even with shipping.

Am I missing anything?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    With the flammable surcharge on powder and the weight of bullets it looks like its probably best to shop brick and mortar like Cabellas for those components.

Graf & Sons looks good for primers even with shipping.

Am I missing anything?

Primers and powders are both Hazmat items. They can typically be combined though.

If you're buying bulk, buying online can still make sense.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    As previously mentioned, for smaller quantities of primers and powder I go to a brick and mortar store. I drive past Cabellas in DE while traveling the I-95 corridor, and Top Gun and Jewelry in Fallston sells reloading components and is less than 15 minutes from my place. For bulk purchases, the volume discount on primers/powder may negate hazmat shipping charges.

Occasionally an online reseller may have a free shipping promotion that includes free hazmat shipping. I picked up 5k of primers from MidSouth Shooters on such a promotion about a year ago.

Bullets certain weigh a fair deal, but a lot of online resellers provide free shipping if you purchase a sufficient quantity of bullets. Even then, between no hazmat charges on bullets and flat rate shipping, S&H charges for bullets is minimal.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Bullet example: X-treme ship for $5.00. Last shipment I received 500 9mm, 500 40, and 500 45, $5.00; Fun to talk with mail man as he brings them to the door. Pound for size of package they are the heaviest thing he delivers, always good for a funny comment from him....

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Primers and powders are both Hazmat items. They can typically be combined though.

If you're buying bulk, buying online can still make sense.

Will they let you buy more than 5 lbs of powder at a time. I'm new to this and need to get powder and primers.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Will they let you buy more than 5 lbs of powder at a time. I'm new to this and need to get powder and primers.

That's a good question. I would think local MD dealers would point out that more than 5 lbs of powder would not be legal to keep in a house in MD. A trip across the border and they don't really care.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Online group buy? well coordinated that is.

Sure, can make all kinds of sense to folks individually. But once you get past a handful of people you know, and ideally know well and see all the time? Whoever is on point had better have a whole lot of time, a whole lot of trust, a whole lot of patience, and/or some really deep pockets.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    If ordering online, Powder Valley has the best prices I've found for primers and powder. Their bullets are much cheaper than BPS. If buying in bulk to offset hazmat fees helps. Perhaps several shooters sharing in an order and splitting shipping. For instance, at BPS 2 days ago, they wanted over $35 for a box of Hornady 30 cal 150 gr SST. PV was $27.

Ken

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Most online retailers will. In MD, they are not even supposed to sell more than 5lbs to an individual, so a LGS would likely be an issue if you are looking for more than 5lbs.

I agree with Powder Valley, they have great prices!

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I buy local for hazmat stuff. Bass Pro has a few different powders and primers. If you're concerned about a 5 pound limit, remember you don't have to buy it all at once.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I typically try to shop at powder valley for powder and primers. To keep cost down I try to buy at least 8 lbs of powder or 5-10k primers at a time so I can split up that hazmat as much as I can.

More bullet suppliers are shipping in flat rate boxes now. I shoot a lot of 9mm, and 3600 9mm ship in a flat rate box. Now I shoot for Blue Bullets, so that is all I buy. And a case of 9mm is $242 with free shipping. Using the code Ennis gets 5% off making it $230. Or just under $64/1000. No one in my area can beat that.

shovel1966

May 14, 2016
    Springfield, VA
    I have ordered a lot of Hazmat from Graf and Sons in the past before I let my C&R expire. My small group of friends would all go in on one order to make the Hazmat fee almost nothing. They would often charge a small handling/insurance fee but "free" shipping.

I found this to be much more economical than driving to/from the LGS, paying state sales tax, and picking from their limited on-hand stock.

I've also ordered powder and primers from Cabelas and they ran deals on shipping and reduced Hazmat fees. When ordering online I ONLY purchase in bulk.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do watch. Some online retailers want a hazmat fee PER PACKAGE. Others, it is per order.

Powder Valley, Midsouth, Grafs, and 3rd Generation are typically where I go.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I time going to my fathers in NJ to coincide with Cabelas primers & powder on sale :)

Next trip to NJ is early August so if anyone wants some product in August let me know and we can work out a deal (Frederick county here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom