Votes: 25 41.0%
    • Other

Votes: 8 13.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Interesting. Didn't realize there was a newer Walther 22. Aluminum slide. That's a step in the right direction.

Grandpower K22S should be a strong contender. It's on Eagle's website, but I don't see it anywhere or a price. I think very highly of their centerfire versions so I suspect the K22S will be a winner.

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    M&P 22 COMPACT. The compact is made by S&W right here in the good ol US of A and not outsourced to Walther. It's also the perfect size and the little thing is indestructible. Mine.

I second the S&W M&P Compact. I have one and have found to be very reliable and fun to shoot. A good trainer for the M&P line.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    If you like the feel of a 1911 you might consider the GSG 1911 22. Sig is the same one with their name on it. Very reliable fun shooter. Same weight and feel as a regular 1911 without the expense or recoil.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    SR22 hands down. I love that gun.

1) The gun is very accurate out of the box, surprisingly so. Sure that's a function of the shooter, but the SR22 barrel and sight picture help.
    2) Reliable. I've sent 1000 rounds down range so far...and only 2 failures to fire on the first strike...the follow up via DA sent the lead down range anyway. I've shot Aguila, CCI, and Remington Vipers. No feeding issues whatsoever.
    3) the trigger pull in SA in much lighter than any of my Glocks...the DA is only slightly heavier.
    4) The ergonomics are incredible.
    5) It's cheap. United has them via their online store for a great price.
    6) it's fun to shoot.
    7) It looks cool.
    8) Easy to strip and clean.
    9) My grandma loves hers too. It's very easy to operate. I kid you not, my grandmother let me try hers out at the range, and I thought so highly of it I bought one.
    10) My wife liked it more than the MP22.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I've shot all three, but own (for now) a regular size M&P22.

I found the P22 just felt cheap in my hand, and heard about some reliability problems. I didn't have any issues myself, but I was shooting CCI Mini-mags. The double action trigger was pretty rough, but single action was ok. I would avoid it.

The SR22 was pretty good. Felt too small in my hands honestly. Double action felt pretty heavy to me. It was accurate and reliable, but hard to manipulate given its size. Overall great gun though. It would be still be one to consider if I were in the market.

M&P22 felt more like a full sized pistol, because it is a full sized pistol. I wanted a 22 to augment shooting my full and compact Glocks, so wanted something that felt like my other guys. This was the closet one. The safety didn't bother me, and I understand it's pretty easy to remove. The stock sights were horrible and the trigger is nothing special either. 12 rd mags were nice, but expensive and hard to come by for a while.

In the end, I'm actually ditching all my semi-auto .22's. It's not a close enough analog to shooting 9mm for me, and I must be the only person in the world that doesn't find .22's fun. Already sold my M&P 15-22 rifle and listed the M&P22.
    Nothing is closer to your Glock than your Glock. I went with the Tactical Solutions conversion kit. It fits my G17's (I have two), my G22, and my G31. It works on Gen 1-4 Glocks. Feeds reliably with the right ammo. Fits all the same holsters. There is no better practice than practicing with your primary gun type. The Tactical Solutions kit uses a steel slide and weighs just a bit less than the factory Glock slide whereas the Advantage Arms kit is aluminum and noticeably lighter so it is less realistic for training. The AA kit also requires separate versions for Gen 1-3 & Gen 4 which limits your options somewhat if you have numerous Glocks. The AA kit is usually cheaper though.

My wife has the Ruger SR22. It is super reliable and feeds any ammo. Great shooter. Just a little too small for me to be useful and the DA/SA doesn't help me train since it is unlike any of my other guns.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    Nothing is closer to your Glock than your Glock. I went with the Tactical Solutions conversion kit. It fits my G17's (I have two), my G22, and my G31. It works on Gen 1-4 Glocks. Feeds reliably with the right ammo. Fits all the same holsters. There is no better practice than practicing with your primary gun type. The Tactical Solutions kit uses a steel slide and weighs just a bit less than the factory Glock slide whereas the Advantage Arms kit is aluminum and noticeably lighter so it is less realistic for training. The AA kit also requires separate versions for Gen 1-3 & Gen 4 which limits your options somewhat if you have numerous Glocks. The AA kit is usually cheaper though. My wife has the Ruger SR22. It is super reliable and feeds any ammo. Great shooter. Just a little too small for me to be useful and the DA/SA doesn't help me train since it is unlike any of my other guns.

I totally agree with you in theory, but I personally have had crappy luck with conversion kit reliability, including a TacSol G19/23 kit. And given how much they cost, it may make more sense for most people to buy a dedicated .22.

Last edited:

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Note, there are two Walthers with a similar name that are often confused and sometimes mislabeled by sellers. They are similarly priced.

There is the original P22 which looks similar to a PPQ and got terrible reviews. It comes in 4 and 5 inch versions with 10 rd mags.

There is the newer PPQ 22 which is a trainer for the PPQ M2 and has received great reviews. It comes in 4 and 5 inch versions with 10 rd or 12 rd mags.

Here's a review of the newer one ...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/08/jeremy-s/gun-review-walther-ppq-m2-22-lr/

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks again for turning me on to a new gun! I already own a Walter P22Q and have had no issues with it. However, after reading the reviews on the PPQ 22, I've put one (with threaded barrel) on order.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks again for turning me on to a new gun! I already own a Walter P22Q and have had no issues with it. However, after reading the reviews on the PPQ 22, I've put one (with threaded barrel) on order.
    Ha, I've been thinking of getting the 5-inch with the fiber optic front sight for rimfire competitions. But the list is big as I've only been doing this for a few years, so prioritizing is necessary. :)

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have owned all three and still have the SR22. It is accurate and incredibly reliable I have fired thousands of rounds and only experienced a handful of FTF/FTE's .

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Ha, I've been thinking of getting the 5-inch with the fiber optic front sight for rimfire competitions. But the list is big as I've only been doing this for a few years, so prioritizing is necessary. :)

Yeah, that fiber optic front sight almost got me (cause I love them), but I have a .22 suppressor so I really had to go with the 4" threaded barrel. Wish they made a 5" with a threaded barrel - maybe in the near future :)

BTW, my PPS M2 is still on backorder - hope it comes in soon!

dlrichnafsky

Apr 3, 2014
    I own the SR22, it's a precision piece. It's fun, smooth, and well made. Break-down (cleaning) is a bit tricky, but once you get used to it, no problem.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    My Sr22 is awesome. Very reliable and accurate for its size. I really enjoy shooting it. I hear the M&P 22 is a fantastic gun also, but I have no experience. The P22 I was not impressed with. My dad has one and it's a jam-o-matic. Another amazing option could be Rugers Mark series of .22 pistols. Legendary guns right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom