• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    MDShooters-

Shotgun newbie here, looking for some advice/lessons learned. I am looking to buy my first shotgun which will be multi-purpose. I anticipate the occasional skeet/clay target shooting, and most likely home defense.

I like the look of the tactical shotguns, but admittedly haven't shot one, so I don't know if it's practical. I definitely like the idea of it holding multiple rounds.

12ga or 20ga?

Recommended Length? (I'd assume long for target, shorter for HD, but what's the average if your looking to use it for both?)

Difference in ammo for target shooting vs home defense?

Guess I should add I own my own home, not in an apartment complex or anything with thin walls, so that's not necessarily a worry.

My price range is likely $500 or less

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Buy a Remington 870.
    It's that simple. You can swap barrels out between a longer field barrel for trap/skeet(26-28") and a shorter barrel for home defense(18-20"). You can pick up a new 870 Express and a second barrel in or close to your budget.

Oh and go with a 12ga.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Some ranges ban use of tactical shotguns for clays shooting (usually because of short barrels). Pump action non-tactical shotguns can usually hold from 5 - 6 rounds, tacticals can sometimes hold a few more.

Many of the inexpensive pump actions have a wide variety of tactical accessories (or tacticool....as some items have more 'cool factor' than tactical). The 870 SoMD mentioned is one, Mossberg 500 is another. Barrels are fairly cheap for each...especially if you can find a good clean used barrel. You can find good used barrels at gun shows, on Gunbroker, on various web sites for gun stores and even on Ebay. For hunting and clays, look for a shotgun with a smooth bore, preferably vent rib (better sighting plane and heat dispersion) 26" - 30" barrels. For home defense 18-1/2 - 20" smoothbore with either bead or rifle signts. Fixed choke on a short barrel is preferably cylinder or Improved Cylinder, but can usually be found with choke tubes especially if it is a new barrel. For clays/bird hunting, longer barrels tend to provide smoother swings for hitting fast moving targets or birds. Shorter barrels are a tad lighter and quicker to point on slow or non-moving targets. 26 - 28" is a good compromise for clays/hunting but 30" isn't bad either. Choke tubes provide extra flexibility, but for clays only, full is OK and modified is even better if you come across a fixed choke gun. An Imp Cylinder fixed choke ain't bad for skeet but is a little open for trap...but not too bad for 16 yd trap. I actually like shooting 16 yd trap with an an Imp Cyl marked tube (but it actually patterns Light Mod...FWIW) and I use 1-1/8 oz trap loads. If you're an average sized adult most production models will more or less fit you and recoil from 12 ga trap loads will not likely be a problem especially with lighter trap loads. FWIW, some people have this idea to get a 20 gauge for low-recoil. While the light 20 ga loads do have less energy than a light 12 load, many 20 ga guns are somewhat lighter which makes recoil feel sharper (a light gun accelerates more quickly due to recoil faster than a somewhat heavier gun). Furthermore you should usually get better patterns from a 12 ga with a given amount of shot as compared to a 20 ga that has the same amount....plus the smaller ga will 'string' the shot somewhat more. For example, most 12 gauges will give a more even pattern with shorter shot string in a 1 oz trap load than you would get in a 20 ga 1 oz trap load...and 1-1/8 oz is generally only available in 20 ga in the more expensive 3" mag shells, while you can buy 1-1/8 oz 12 ga trap loads. So I would concur that 12 is probably the best all round.

An Rem 870 or Mossy 500 is pretty easy to find other barrels for.

One more thought, recoil from semi-autos is usually perceived as less than pumps. Most semi-autos cost more than your budget, but you can often get a good used semi-auto for $500 or a bit less. Remington 1100s come to mind. There are often a number good, clean used Rem 1100s for $500 or slightly more and tactical accessories are availble for them although not nearly as much as for the Mossberg 500 and Rem 870.

Feb 28, 2013
    Remington 870 or Mossy 500 with extra barrels is your best way to go.

But beware. If you like clay shootin' and decide you wanna start doin' a whole bunch of it, you will have to upgrade you clay blaster.

Hatter

NEWB - Slack Appreciated!
    Mar 6, 2013
    Stewartstown, PA
    I recently made the same choice, and ended up with a Mossberg 930 (autoloader, not pump) combo with 2 barrels - a short one for home defense, and a longer barrel for target games.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_336/products_id/76743

The pump guns will cost less, but folks who shoot clays told me that an o/u or auto is a better choice for games. The pump will be more reliable in a home defense situation. As an interesting option, this same combo is offered for the Mossberg 500 (pump) as well.

So far, this has been an inexpensive and flexible first shotgun for me. I have yet to have a mis-feed, mis-fire, or jam, and the barrels can be switched out in just a couple of minutes. There are a lot of much nicer guns out there, but they tend to cost more. There is still a Benelli Montefeltro sitting in a nearby store that I REALLY like the feel of, but it costs $1000, and that is considered an inexpensive one.

If you have a place to shoot, ask some of the guys if you can try a few rounds out of their guns. Most of the folks I am around are always happy to someone who is seriously interested try their gun.

If you were closer, I would invite you to visit the public sporting clays shoot at the Hopewell Fish and Game Assn (I am a brand new member :D ) held on Saturdays. I plan to be there tomorrow, and would be happy to let you try a few rounds.

http://www.hopewellfg2.com/Events.html

I suspect there are folks in your area who will make a similar invitation. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Both great pump action and can be used for hunting or defense and ability to change barrels on both adds some flexibility. Google 870 vs 500 and you will a lot of opinions on both. In the end, both good basic inexpensive shotguns in price range you stated.

Feb 28, 2013
    The pump guns will cost less, but folks who shoot clays told me that an o/u or auto is a better choice for games.

The advantage of an O/U is for skeet and sporting clays, so you can run different chokes. But a semi will be a bit gentler on your shoulder.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    Thanks everyone for the great responses and advice. I think I lean towards a pump for the de facto "warning" in the home defense situations.

Selene

Nov 18, 2012
    Don't be fooled by Hollywood's shotgun racking. That sound is the sound of you unloading a perfectly good shell and throwing it on the ground.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    You could also consider 2 shotguns for not much more money: An inexpensive but reliable HD shotgun like the Pardner Pump or IAC Hawk, and a higher-end trap or hunting gun.

(Might as well start now. Sooner or later you'll give in to the urge to buy another anyway...)

Feb 28, 2013
    Don't be fooled by Hollywood's shotgun racking. That sound is the sound of you unloading a perfectly good shell and throwing it on the ground.

...Assuming you already had one chambered.:)

You could also consider 2 shotguns for not much more money: An inexpensive but reliable HD shotgun like the Pardner Pump or IAC Hawk, and a higher-end trap or hunting gun.

(Might as well start now. Sooner or later you'll give in to the urge to buy another anyway...)

That's true about the Pardner pump.:thumbsup:

Here's a review on 'em.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/12/ralph/gun-review-hr-1871-pardner-pump-protector-12-gauge/

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

This^^^^^

Plus, if it comes down to home defense, the intruder is getting no warning from me. The last thing I need is to "rack" a shell in a pump or autoloader and have the intruder start shooting toward the sound he just heard. First sound I want the intruder to hear is "BANG!!!!!".

OP - you can make that "pump" sound with an autoloader too. Slightly different sound, but the bolt closing from the buffer spring is just as loud as the slide of a pump gun.

crowmd

Mar 3, 2013
    My wife just come home with a Stevens 12 gauge pump from Dicks came with 100 rounds of buck shot for 200 bucks looks pretty good hope to try it out this week

mka2278

Nov 1, 2013
    Semi would be better for clay sports IMO.
    But if you want a utilitarian/cheap pump, look at the Mossberg Maverick 88.
    It is the "economy" Mossy 500. Great, cheap pump action and most of the Mosssy 500 parts fit it.
    Maverick 88 barrels are compatible with Mossberg 500A model barrels within gauge and capacity (magazine size). All Maverick 88 choke tubes are fully interchangeable with Mossberg Accu-Choke tubes. Good starter, and you can throw it around, and upgrade parts easilly (cheaply) if you want.
    Walmart carries them for just under $200 and I've seen some incredibly cheap Black Friday deals on them at the large outdoor stores like bass and cabellas.
    If you want versatillity, buy the one with the 28" field barrel for clay/upland and you can add a 18" defense barrel relatively cheap. Then buy a 28" sluggster barrel if you want to use for deer hunting...
    Never had a problem with mine and I've been less than kind to it...
    Good "pickup truck" shotgun.
    Good luck and have fun!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Nobody answered your ammunition question.

For clay games, you shoot smaller shot, 7 1/2 - 9 shot typiclaly. Larger number is smaller shot. Max size for most ranges is 7 1/2 shot. You can shoot various loadings. For lighter recoil witha 12 gauge, you can shoot 1 ounce (shot) loads, which is the same amount of shot as a standard 20 guage load.

For HD, you shoot buckshot or slugs. 00 buck is the typical buckshot used, but #1 buck gives you more pellets, but still with good penetration. #4 buck used to be recommended, but not so much now due to lack of penetration through heavy clothing. Slugs penetrate well.

And do not be fooled by Hollywood, at typical HD distances, the shot does not spread significantly. So you DO have to aim the shotgun.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    A semi automatic for lower recoil and quicker, easier follow up shots. I feel new shooters often handicap themselves by buying a pump to save a few bucks.
    A 12 gauge is most flexible, change up you ammo to shoot anything from dove to ducks to deer to intruders.
    A 26" barrel is a good length for clays and hunting. Yeah, HD barrels are shorter but how often to you really expect to engage in urban combat?
    I'm guessing you can find a new or like new Mossberg with a choke tubed barrel for around $500. I had an SA-20 and thought it was a great gun at a great price (<$500 new).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom