• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Sig P239, great size for a female shooter and the metal frame will help control recoil.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    My Wife has the S&W M&P in 9mm and loves it. The snappier recoil mentioned earlier has never phased her while shooting. She LOVES Shooting it. She is only 125 pounds and about 5'4 so shes pretty tiny

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    My wife wanted a smaller semi auto (because they were cute) but found them snappy and difficult to rack (not to mention unreliable since she wasn't gripping properly). But she fell in love with/stole my 4" 686+ and that is now hers. I got her a 617 to practice with but she finds 38s so mild that she doesn't shoot it. The only gun she likes better - my 327 R8, because who doesn't love an extra round and moon clip reloads!

JosephIV

As others stated, rent guns at a range if you can. Women tend to think that revolvers are ugly, but that's the route that I would go. No tension on springs for those among us who don't think to unload magazines, no safety to fumble with in the dark, no question of what condition is it in when you pick it up. Just load 5-8 rounds, aim, squeeze trigger and hear the bang.

Ruger LCR gets my vote. Can shoot .38 Special +P and comes with built in laser sight. Beyond that any .357 Magnum revolver.

People who buy a semi-auto as a first time home self-defense gun puzzle me. They usually have zero experience in making a gun condition zero in the dark of night and I have no doubts that many wouldn't be able to work the gun in the dark with a huge rush of adrenaline. I'd rather someone being attacked not accidentally push the mag release before chambering a round or hit the safety when they thought they were making the weapon ready to fire.

Keep it simple stupid.

theneckie

Jun 7, 2013
    Queen Anne
    My wife tried tons of guns, and came down to a s&w bodyguard 38+p with a built in laser. The smaller frame fit her hand perfectly and she feels comfortable operating it. She felt that having to rack a semi auto in a Self defense situation we be to difficult compared to point and shoot with the revolver.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    My wife loves her Kahr 9mm (K9). It fits her hand really well and it shoots nicely. The only problem with it was that she had to shoot it a crap ton before it broke in enough that she can manipulate the slide (or maybe it was just the practice, either way it did take a while before she did not need assistance).

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    QUOTE=JosephIV;2942390]As others stated, rent guns at a range if you can. Women tend to think that revolvers are ugly, but that's the route that I would go. No tension on springs for those among us who don't think to unload magazines, no safety to fumble with in the dark, no question of what condition is it in when you pick it up. Just load 5-8 rounds, aim, squeeze trigger and hear the bang.

Ruger LCR gets my vote. Can shoot .38 Special +P and comes with built in laser sight. Beyond that any .357 Magnum revolver.

People who buy a semi-auto as a first time home self-defense gun puzzle me. They usually have zero experience in making a gun condition zero in the dark of night and I have no doubts that many wouldn't be able to work the gun in the dark with a huge rush of adrenaline. I'd rather someone being attacked not accidentally push the mag release before chambering a round or hit the safety when they thought they were making the weapon ready to fire.

Keep it simple stupid.[/QUOTE]

One thing often overlooked with women is whether they have the upper body strength to rack the slide in a pistol. So that's one thing to verify.

My wife liked the Springfield XD better than the xdm because the grip was smoother.

Your best bet would be to go to one of the indoor pistol ranges and rent several guns for her to try. Unless you know someone that has several you could try at the range.

Another gun my wife likes is my HK P30L.

If those are too big you'll need to look at a Sig P239. It's a single stack nine that should fit her hand.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I highlighted a couple reasons why I often suggest revolvers for women....or any noobie, really for that matter...And it's not just the racking issue. If you have a double action revolver and the gun fails to go bang, you can just pull the trigger again. The revolver I had that many women liked to shoot (my daughter talked me out of it!) was my Smith 19 (4" barrel). For those who don't know, it's a medium frame .357 that isn't bad for the full bore magnums, but is a pleasure for most to shoot with 38 special or even 38 +P. You also have the option after you have been shooting awhile and become more comfortable with the gun or stepping up to full bore magnums I never got why semi-autos became so much more popular except for round capacity and/or 'cool factor'. It's very rare than 5 or 6 rounds would not be sufficient (if that's not sufficient, I would suggest something other than a handgun for defense...say a shotgun or a semi-auto rifle). Furthermore, many compact semi-autos have little or no more case capacity than a revolver. My only thought against a medium framed revolver is that it is not as compact as some other guns you might want to carry.

HappyShooter

Alpha Alpha!
    Jun 3, 2013
    SOMD
    Lots of good info already posted. What I suggest is once your wife gets a feel for some of the guns she likes, try them at a range BEFORE you buy them. Recoil can change everything! :) Also, it depends on the desired purpose. For the most part, revolvers don't tend to make for fun plinking guns for women because they tend to have a heavier trigger. However....they are AWESOME for home defense.

As for target shooting/ practicing, the selection of semi-autos that now cater to smaller hands/ladies is impressive. I really like the M&Ps for the way their trigger is set, plus the interchangeable backstraps on those as well as the Glock Gen 4's and the Springfield XD's make them small hand friendly as well. Full Size guns tend to handle the recoil a lot more user friendly than some of the sub-compacts...again try before you buy because they all feel different once that primer is struck.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    Why isn't every single response here a revolver? OP stated that this is a gun to learn on and use for defense if needed. It's a defense gun the very first day it comes home without her ever taking it to the range.
    The possible need for home defense is every single day. The range days don't come everyday for learning.
    This pistol needs to be simple and effective from the nightstand to the bedroom door, first and foremost.
    It needs to be simple. Any quality 4"
    .357 revolver.

This and every other comment about a revolver. Just be sure that she selects one that fits her. And if the 357 has too much recoil 38s or +P loads are available. My wife shoots a Ruger LCR .38 +P that she picked out, very accurately.:)

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    My wife liked the S&W 686+1 .357 revolver with 4 inch barrel. She has shot .357 through it but really enjoys practice with .38s. She has shot my .40 P226 and likes it but she said in emergency her revolver would be a default gun due to simplicity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom