• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    My wife is interested in finding a pistol that is comfortable for her to shoot and learn with. The ultimate goal would be to find her a pistol she would feel comfortable in handling and shooting in case she ever needed to for home defense. She is a smaller woman with small hands and doesn't like rifles or shotguns. She's shot my .40 and she is a little scared of it. She has also shot a few .22 rifles/handguns but that's not real smart if home defense is the final goal.

What should I have her try out? Small framed 9mm? 38 revolver?

All comments and thoughts are appreciated.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    Full size 9mm with an adjustable grip like an M&P or a Glock 17 gen4.

Well I have a gen4 22, so if the frames are similar to that of a 17, that'd be a no go. Even with the back straps off, she has a hard time keeping a firm grip and reaching the trigger.

CyberBat

Feb 18, 2013
    Leonardtown
    I own a Glock 17 gen4. The best advice that I received about choosing a gun was to handle as many as possible. It definitely worked out that way for me. My husband took me to a couple of gun shows which gave the maximum guns to look at and pick up. What I thought I wanted based on pictures was definitely not what I wanted when I actually held the gun. And what my husband thought I wanted was also not what I liked. In the end, the Glock 17 gen4 was what I decided was best for me.

I would also encourage her to find a Women on Target course. The people are extremely helpful and she should have an opportunity to become more familiar with the guns. They also should have opinions and recommendations on models to look at.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    More important would be have her selectwhat she is comfortable with, provide her with a selection of various models and calibers. I offered 1911 for it's narrow grip. Also look at a revolver in 38/357.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Well I have a gen4 22, so if the frames are similar to that of a 17, that'd be a no go. Even with the back straps off, she has a hard time keeping a firm grip and reaching the trigger.

The issue with 9mm compacts/sub compacts is the snappier recoil. Maybe rent a Glock 19 somewhere.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    My wife was in a similar situation.

She enjoyed shooting my m&p22 and hated the G26 and my 229 in .40. From the home defense perspective- a 22 isn't the best option.

I let her try my fullsize 9mm 1911 and apparently... It's now "her" gun. It's also my favorite gun to shoot.

JCarlton81

Oct 13, 2012
    Severn
    I 2nd the Full size 9mm. My wife has an M&P and a SIG P229 and loves both of them for different reasons. The M&P points more naturally for her and is easier to shoot, but the SIG is DA/SA so it can sit loaded in the nightstand and she doesn't have to remember to chamber a round in the middle of the night should she need to.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    I own a Glock 17 gen4. The best advice that I received about choosing a gun was to handle as many as possible. It definitely worked out that way for me. My husband took me to a couple of gun shows which gave the maximum guns to look at and pick up. What I thought I wanted based on pictures was definitely not what I wanted when I actually held the gun. And what my husband thought I wanted was also not what I liked. In the end, the Glock 17 gen4 was what I decided was best for me.

I would also encourage her to find a Women on Target course. The people are extremely helpful and she should have an opportunity to become more familiar with the guns. They also should have opinions and recommendations on models to look at.

Thanks Cyberbat....the idea of a Gun Show is a really good idea. It will let her out her hands on quite a few different models. I think we are already planning on hitting up the next Women on Target class at Sanners Lake.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    When my wife was shopping we went to several gun shows so she could handle a lot, from there she took note of what felt good in her hand then we attempted to find ranges close by where we could rent some of the ones she liked. In the end she went with a Sig P238.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    I 2nd the Full size 9mm. My wife has an M&P and a SIG P229 and loves both of them for different reasons. The M&P points more naturally for her and is easier to shoot, but the SIG is DA/SA so it can sit loaded in the nightstand and she doesn't have to remember to chamber a round in the middle of the night should she need to.

Sorry for the ignorance but what does DA/SA stand for?

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    One thing often overlooked with women is whether they have the upper body strength to rack the slide in a pistol. So that's one thing to verify.

My wife liked the Springfield XD better than the xdm because the grip was smoother.

Your best bet would be to go to one of the indoor pistol ranges and rent several guns for her to try. Unless you know someone that has several you could try at the range.

Another gun my wife likes is my HK P30L.

If those are too big you'll need to look at a Sig P239. It's a single stack nine that should fit her hand.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    Herself went with a HK P30. Not just adjustable backstrap, but also adjustable side panels in the grips. With the smallest of everything it fits her very well. Also, she can rack the slide.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Get a revolver.
    Its simple and full proof. No buttons or levers or racking or clearing of jams. Reach in the safe, grab it, and pull the trigger.
    A .38 +p jhp is a suitable home defense round.

CyberBat

Feb 18, 2013
    Leonardtown
    Thanks Cyberbat....the idea of a Gun Show is a really good idea. It will let her out her hands on quite a few different models. I think we are already planning on hitting up the next Women on Target class at Sanners Lake.

Both my daughter and I took WoT classes at Sanners Lake. Great facility and really nice people working the WoT classes. I should be helping out soon - pending grad school classes. My husband and I just joined SLSC this year and are looking forward to spending some quality time there. Just completely my RSO training today. ;)

Good luck to your wife. Finding the right gun is very important and such an individual pursuit.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    My wife did not like the 40 either. She ended up going the other direction to a full size 45. The round has a lot less kick and the gun has a lot more mass. And of course her having a bigger gun than mine was important for some reason only a wife could understand.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom