• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ukrainian might

Feb 26, 2021
    I know this is probably not a thing, but does anyone know of any documentation or instruction on how to zero a 5.56 ak? Does anyone have any experience on what they do? Do I just use the same technique as I would if it were 5.45?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Chrono it and punch the info into to a ballistic calculator, including the height over bore with whatever you’re using. Then, play with the zeroing distance in the calculator until you get your desired point blank range.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I know this is probably not a thing, but does anyone know of any documentation or instruction on how to zero a 5.56 ak? Does anyone have any experience on what they do? Do I just use the same technique as I would if it were 5.45?

What is a 5.45?

Better (more salient) question: what is twist rate and length of bbl?

Reason I ask is, if we establish a 50yd zero = 200yd for __ weight projectile out of a __ twist bbl of __ length, what is different (other than an “r” after the “a” as opposed to a “k”) when sighting-in either?

I don’t own any 556 ak’s but did I’d start w a 50yd zero and go from there …

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Per Arsenal's user manual on the SLR-106:

"Set a suitably large target 100 meter from the firing point. Set the rifles rear sight to the 100 meter setting. With the rifle carefully supported on a rest, such as a shooting bench, carefully fire 5 rounds. Unload the rifle, place it on "SAFE", and check the target. If the center of the group's point of impact coincides with your aiming point the rifle is zeroed. If the center of your shots' point of impact does not coincide with your aiming point you will need to adjust your front sight.

1. If the point of impact is below the aiming point, screw the front sight downward.
    2. If the point of impact is above the aiming point, screw the front sight upward.

A 1 millimeter lateral displacement of the front sight will move the point of impact 260mm (10.25 inches) at 100 meters (328 feet). One complete revolution of the front sight will move the point of impact 200mm (8 inches) at 100 meters (328 feet)."

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    What is a 5.45?

Better (more salient) question: what is twist rate and length of bbl?

Reason I ask is, if we establish a 50yd zero = 200yd for __ weight projectile out of a __ twist bbl of __ length, what is different (other than an “r” after the “a” as opposed to a “k”) when sighting-in either?

I don’t own any 556 ak’s but did I’d start w a 50yd zero and go from there …

5.45 refers to 5.45x39

The difference is height over bore if you have an optic. The difference with AK irons is not great and probably isn’t doesn’t make a difference.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If it's a real AK and using the correct rear sight assembly, you zero it the same way as any other AK. Your rear sight assembly will be calibrated, in theory, for 5.56 trajectories. (I am skeptical this is true on all 5.56 AKs, but perhaps I should be optimistic.) You will probably not be able to use the 25/100 trick that people do with 7.62x39 AKs, alas, and will need to spend a little more time walking it in. Remember that the commies loved their commie measurements, and AK sights are in meters, not yards.

Of course, on a Galil (aka, the bestest 5.56 AK), you just use the "3" aperture and zero it at 100m. Or, on a gen1 ACE, do a quick 25/300m zero and call it a day (as per the manual).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Initial googling shows that ( in same platforms , with same line of sight over bore center spacing , that the 5.45 and 5.56 have very similar trajectories . 200 yd zero being within an inch either way out to 400 .

So a 5.45 sight assembly should serve well for 5.56mm also .

Ukrainian might

Feb 26, 2021
    Initial googling shows that ( in same platforms , with same line of sight over bore center spacing , that the 5.45 and 5.56 have very similar trajectories . 200 yd zero being within an inch either way out to 400 .

So a 5.45 sight assembly should serve well for 5.56mm also .

Thanks! I couldn't seem to find anything like that myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom