• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Our first match went really well, especially considering it was our first match. We had 11 shooters and everyone seemed to have a great time and understood the "spirit" of the match. So, the club is going to allow us to continue the good time and we have our next match scheduled for Saturday, July 22. As with last month it will immediately follow the CMP match which normally ends no later than 11:30. So, plan on showing up around 11:00 for registration. Hopefully, our numbers will continue to grow as the word gets out. Below are the details, in case you didn't join us last month.

The match will be held at Delta Peach Bottom Fish & Game in Southern PA. Registration will be at 11:00 and shooting will start at the completion of the CMP match. If we get a good turnout, we will continue to have matches on a monthly basis. The matches will be a very light competition with the emphasis being marksmanship, fun and few firearm regulations (other than safety), . All shooting will be done from the bench. No prone, or seated on the ground. This is designed for the average shooter, not the high power match competitor.

$10 entry fee, use your own ammo
    Only one gun per shooter.
    Military issued rifles up to and including 1960
    Smokeless powder cartridge only
    No sporterized stocks or barrels
    Rear peep sights are allowed even if they weren't an issued item, to help equalize the sighting improvements over the 100+ year time period.(also for those with poor vision)
    Aftermarket scopes ARE allowed even if scopes were not an issue item.
    There will be two simple classes. Optics (anything using glass, and irons with front globe sights) and Non-optics which is iron sights including peeps (but no front globe)
    The range will be at 100 yds
    The targets will be NRA SR-1 100 yd. slow fire
    Front rifle rest only. No sleds or rear bags.
    Round count will be 3 strings of 8 shots. 24 shots total. Total possible score is 240.
    There will be 5 to 7 shooters on the line at a time shooting one string of 8. After 2 minutes they will be rotated out, targets will be collected and the next 5 shooters will shoot their string.
    All shooting will be done from the bench. No prone, or seated on the ground.
    You can use a spotter. We may have some spotting scopes set up, but it's best to bring your own if you want to spot your shots.
    2 minute set-up time when you get to the bench. That includes setting up your spotting scope if you have one.
    No "sight-in" time. Make sure your are sighted in for 100 yards BEFORE you get to the range.

If you have any questions, post them here.

Last edited:

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    We never kept the results. We should probably do that though. All I know is, the guy with the Schmidt Rubin 1911 won ;)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    We never kept the results. We should probably do that though. All I know is, the guy with the Schmidt Rubin 1911 won ;)

The guy with the M-1 Carbine probably lost.:sad20: At least all shots hit paper, somewhere. Probably one of my better shooting days.:lol2: Gonna ask the boss if I can go to this one.:party29: Gotta check the sight-in on that A-4 Springfield & 10x Weaver scope. That'll show 'em.:D

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Glad you guys are continuing this, I should be able to make it this time. As long as 3 or 4 other things don't pop up on that day(like last month).

If anyone wants to carpool from AGC or Reisterstown area, pm me

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Glad you guys are continuing this, I should be able to make it this time. As long as 3 or 4 other things don't pop up on that day(like last month).

If anyone wants to carpool from AGC or Reisterstown area, pm me

Great. I hope you make it. We need to grow this match, so that it continues.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Sounds Like Fun wish I was in Md instead of Jax.Fl. How did the score come Out ...RESULTS?

June results

1st place swiss k1911
    2nd match garand (never fired)
    3rd M1A

All were within a couple points of one another. Notable entries were a sks, M1 carbine, and a 1903.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    June results

1st place swiss k1911
    2nd match garand (never fired)
    3rd M1A

All were within a couple points of one another. Notable entries were a sks, M1 carbine, and a 1903.

Crap? The match garand won without firing a shot? How bad was the 3rd place score?:lol2:

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I want to shoot a Krag school rifle would this be outside of the rules?

I don't think the school gun was ever issued to the Philippine military, so technically it would be outside of the rules. HOWEVER, bring it out so we can see it. If it's not just a sporterized Krag, then you can probably shoot it. Bring something else too, just in case it doesn't get the nod.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'm not 100% sure we're going to make this one. My dad is still in rehab for his knee, which is taking it's toll on him, and the heat is rough on him too. My wife wanted to go, but, honestly, working outside in this heat has really worn all of us down...so I just don't know.:sad20:

If we don't make it, best wishes to those who do. We'll definitely look forward to the next.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Sorry guys, I'm not gonna make it up today. Apparently, McDonald's was a very poor choice for breakfast this morning, and I've been somewhat debilitated.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    The match was hot, sweaty and a heck of a lot of fun. We had 12 participants and some different guns. This month was kind of Garand heavy, but to add some spice, there were also a couple of Mosins, a Mauser, a MAS 36 and an AK47. We're still working out some of the kinks with getting off to a smooth start as far as registration and target changing procedures, but it's coming along quite nicely. If you didn't make it this month, planning on coming for the next one.

Here are the results:

Attachments

• AxisAllies717.jpg
      AxisAllies717.jpg
      40.7 KB · Views: 138

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    I'm not 100% sure we're going to make this one. My dad is still in rehab for his knee, which is taking it's toll on him, and the heat is rough on him too. My wife wanted to go, but, honestly, working outside in this heat has really worn all of us down...so I just don't know.:sad20:

If we don't make it, best wishes to those who do. We'll definitely look forward to the next.

We made it, sort of a last minute "if you wanna go, I'll go too," sort of thing. I'm glad we did. Nice group, some interesting guns and conversations. Hotter than heck, though. Burnt my thumb on the Nagant's breech (who would have thought?), pounded my shoulder when the Limb-saver fell off, kept a number of rounds on the black, all on the target, got out-shot by my son & daughter-in-law (yes, they allow girls!), got carried to the air-conditioned club house for revival after getting really faint from heat exhaustion/dehydration (thankfully, after the match), felt like an old fool.:rolleyes:

All in all, it was a better than an average Saturday afternoon. I plan on doing it again....the match, that is.:innocent0

My sincere thanks to everybody who quickly helped with dousing, lugging the carcass to the clubhouse, the cold water & gatorade, and all the offers & help.:party29:

jabber6

Mar 16, 2013
    Forest Hill, Harford County
    We made it, sort of a last minute "if you wanna go, I'll go too," sort of thing. I'm glad we did. Nice group, some interesting guns and conversations. Hotter than heck, though. Burnt my thumb on the Nagant's breech (who would have thought?), pounded my shoulder when the Limb-saver fell off, kept a number of rounds on the black, all on the target, got out-shot by my son & daughter-in-law (yes, they allow girls!), got carried to the air-conditioned club house for revival after getting really faint from heat exhaustion/dehydration (thankfully, after the match), felt like an old fool.:rolleyes:

All in all, it was a better than an average Saturday afternoon. I plan on doing it again....the match, that is.:innocent0

My sincere thanks to everybody who quickly helped with dousing, lugging the carcass to the clubhouse, the cold water & gatorade, and all the offers & help.:party29:

Glad you are feeling better! That heat was pretty intense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom