• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Seems like a pretty cool tool. I use the MantisX trainer. It works on multiple guns, dry or live fire. It is frustratingly picky but it has improved my pistol shooting for sure.....

I believe the iTarget looks like more fun and might be easier to keep you engaged and more willing to practice more often.....

https://mantisx.com/

I read about this and it looked interesting. It's just a motion sensor attached to the gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I am in the process of making my own laser target just picked some components should be able to have it made for under $50

I saw a video of a homemade laser target. Seems doable if you have some basic electronic skills. Plz post when you finish.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    question: how much is the app to download? i already have laser bullet so wondering if that is all i need.

The basic app that I show in my photo is free. They have two paid upgrades as well.

I've also since found 2 pc free programs that I've downloaded but not had a chance to test out yet.

Eng

CCW UT
    Jan 11, 2017
    Scaggsville, Ocean City
    i think this works by having the camera detect the laser or color. maybe camera takes picture on every detection and overlays them. probably just a programming trick, similar to how phone can measure stuff. pretty cool.

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    I saw a video of a homemade laser target. Seems doable if you have some basic electronic skills. Plz post when you finish.

When I get it all worked out I will post it up here and maybe do a diy with BOM schematics and arduino program

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I've continued to play around with the Laserlyte and have determined that while the iTarget app from post #12 is OK it's not really great for what I'm trying to do which is HighPower match practice. Three problems the target overlay does not scale properly to the NRA SR target and it's very sensitive to false hits. That may be something specific to the lighting in my setup. Finally I had scaled my target wrong in the example above the actual SR 200 yd target is 37" dia which scales to about 3.5" at 45ft. So the target was just too small on the screen to register accurate hits.

I did find try out a totally free opensource PC program called Shootoff. It seems to be very flexible and has some great features like using a video projector to create realistic practice scenes. Check out the site for more info. https://github.com/phrack/ShootOFF/wiki

Here is my test setup. Old laptop with a USB webcam. Setup about 5ft in front of the scaled target. You can then make a scoring template to match the actual target scoring rings. The software allows you to correct for camera perspective too. It seems like it may be a reasonably good training aid at least to develop some muscle memory and match timing.

1cba4b790c6fa3b515b3c8614dc90317.jpg

I would still like to call my shots and have instant feedback on where my shot landed so I'm going to either add a 15m usb extension cord or try to use some display app like slaptop or remote desktop to view remotely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom