• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I searched the site but didn't find what I was looking for (but the fact that i may have just missed it is quite possible). Anyway I've decided to jump right in and build my first AR and was wondering about the billet receivers. Has anyone had any experience with them? Are they worth it or just a solution to a problem that doesn't exist? I like the different lines based on looks but the cost is considerably more. What about the uppers?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    They are only worth it if you appreciate the cool look. Functionally they aren't any different other than the built in trigger guard. Noveske has some new forged lowers with integrated trigger guards that are pretty cool also.

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    They are only worth it if you appreciate the cool look. Functionally they aren't any different other than the built in trigger guard. Noveske has some new forged lowers with integrated trigger guards that are pretty cool also.

Quoted for truth. :thumbsup:

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    not exactly, they will really lighten up your rifle! I have a Rainier Arms billet upper and lower and it is lighter than my other AR and the majority of my other rifles.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    not exactly, they will really lighten up your rifle! I have a Rainier Arms billet upper and lower and it is lighter than my other AR and the majority of my other rifles.

"really lighten"? I've got both and I cannot feel any difference in weight.

My research says Billet uppers and lowers both weight more, but again in my hands I cannot tell the difference.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    "really lighten"? I've got both and I cannot feel any difference in weight.

My research says Billet uppers and lowers both weight more, but again in my hands I cannot tell the difference.

Yeah you can read!!!! Lighten......which ones do you have? Alot of billet receivers have extra junk on it for cool looks, like Mega and Spikes. I have a plain receiver and with out all the extra cool features. oh and I have a billet upper and lower so the combo is lighter IMO!

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I believe you guys, not saying that they dont weigh the same or even more but alot of those trick ones have extras on them and adds weight.

Mine is just plain jane and seems lighter than my bushmaster AR.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Wayne,

You actually admit to spending time on AR15.COM....:sad20: You may want to go to M4Carbine.net, maybe you'll be less bored.

Q

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Based on your original post, have you held upper and lower receivers that are forged or billet aluminum (without the barrels attached). That would give you the weight difference. It would depend on what you want to do with the rifle. Besides the perceived weight savings on the upper and lower receiver, would that weight savings be negated by a barrel selection unless you were going with a lightweight barrel.

That would be my logic, outside of the look factor.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its for the kid who has everything and thats about it. I would rather have two standard lowers instead.

Heck I am still running a CAST Olympic lower and it has been just fine.

Its for the kid who has everything and thats about it. I would rather have two standard lowers instead.

Heck I am still running a CAST Olympic lower and it has been just fine.

You had to go and throw a CAST oly in here didn't you? :D

You are probably right on the lowers. I'm not sure we get much functionality out of the lowers. However, I have used the billet uppers on 2 long range builds for added flex resistance. They are dimensionally thicker in the walls.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    How can you have an opinion on whether or not something is lighter? It either is or isn't. Either way it's way to minimal to matter unless somewhere out there someone is making billet receivers specifically to be lighter and then at what sacrifice?

BTW in my post I was in no way trying to be a smart ass, but I had never heard of billet receiver being lighter. If indeed it is then I would be interested in knowing which manufacturer is making them.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    You had to go and throw a CAST oly in here didn't you? :D

You are probably right on the lowers. I'm not sure we get much functionality out of the lowers. However, I have used the billet uppers on 2 long range builds for added flex resistance. They are dimensionally thicker in the walls.

Ya I did, but I bought it in the 90s during the ban. Sat in my closet for a decade before being built. Currently have it on my A2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom