• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    I went over the rules listed on their website prior to visiting Select Fire in Glen Burnie this afternoon and was surprised to see a rule on the front door and the door inside (exiting) the range. This was the rule that all firearms must be in a case.
    I think it would be helpful to have this rule listed on the website and on the rules listed at the counter where it is missing.

The second thing is the guy who helped me at the counter said that it was against the law to transport a rifle that was not in a case. He was not able to assist me in finding this law, but was "sure" it existed.
    If I go on select fire's website to this page: http://www.selectfire.com/information/laws.html it says "During transportation to and from the above places, the handgun must be unloaded, and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster." Handguns - NOT rifles. Was this employee misleading me about this law or is their website wrong?

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    search select fire on this site. you'll find loads of information about the people and business. Then you can make your own decision pretty easily :innocent0

**FWIW this is the first time ive heard of it being against the law to transport a gun unless its in a case.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    So you think it's cool to walk into any business with a firearm not in a case?

The fact that you came here and posted this tells me there is an agenda here... Sorry but it seems to me that a ton of low post count members seem to be on a kick where they are bashing every gun range in the Harford , Baltimore County , AA County AREA ...except one. :innocent0 I'm no fan of Select Fire but I wouldn't bash them on the internet for this. :tdown:

This thread needs to go in a " Endless Bitching and Whining " section.

I tell you what....walk into any Gun shop or Range and see if someone doesn't at least draw a gun and tell you to put the gun down.

COMMON SENSE GOES A LONG WAY

The fact that you came here and posted this tells me there is an agenda here... Sorry but it seems to me that a ton of low post count members seem to be on a kick where they are bashing every gun range in the Harford , Baltimore County , AA County AREA ...except one. :innocent0 I'm no fan of Select Fire but I wouldn't bash them on the internet for this. :tdown:

I tell you what....walk into any Gun shop or Range and see if someone doesn't at least draw a gun and tell you to put the gun down.

T

I'm with you. 1 thing to note is that, whether it's cool or not there is no "law" that I'm aware of. I always transport in a case because I don't want my stuff getting mussed rattling around in the back of my vehicle.

I think it's the "law" part that needs clarification.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    T

I think it's the "law" part that needs clarification.

yeah that was my point

As i reread his post it doesn't say if he actually brought a rifle into select fire. Any uncased gun going into any business is going to be met with hostility.

Ive taken guns to the range wrapped in a towel in my trunk:innocent0

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    I read this all the time in this Forum....sorta like the Loaded Mags thing that gets beat to death.

It starts as it's their policy to some guy said it's against the law and leads to let's Burn the place down because they lie to customers and make shit up. Does it really need to go there when common sense tells me that I probably shouldn't walk into a Gun shop/ shooting range with a rifle out of the case where the employees are armed and deal with all walks of life on a daily basis doing unsafe things with guns.

I don't mean to jump on the OP but are they that bad for telling you to case up a gun?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Even the Attorney General of Maryland agrees with the OP.

Nothing wrong or illegal with carrying an unloaded uncased long gun in a non-threatening manner. Especially in a legal activity.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I read this all the time in this Forum....sorta like the Loaded Mags thing that gets beat to death.

It starts as it's their policy to some guy said it's against the law and leads to let's Burn the place down because they lie to customers and make shit up. Does it really need to go there when common sense tells me that I probably shouldn't walk into a Gun shop/ shooting range with a rifle out of the case where the employees are armed and deal with all walks of life on a daily basis doing unsafe things with guns.

I don't mean to jump on the OP but are they that bad for telling you to case up a gun?

BGOS?

aberforth

Lurker
    May 5, 2011
    Red Lion, PA
    Quite Possibly a Local Law

I don't know about AA County (or GB), but I know Baltimore City does have a local ordinance that bans the uncased transportation of long guns, unless they are in a secure rack. Something to look into anyway. I know there's a thread kicking on here that has a bunch of local ordinances listed, maybe give it a check?

And before anyone says "preemption" if the law was in force before 1/1/1985, the State of Maryland does not preempt.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    yeah that was my point

As i reread his post it doesn't say if he actually brought a rifle into select fire. Any uncased gun going into any business is going to be met with hostility.

Ive taken guns to the range wrapped in a towel in my trunk:innocent0

I think, at least for me, the point is "is it law", and FWIW, we are talking about a Gun Range, not Walmart.

I have no opinion of SF, as I have no experience there, but I hold the places where I do business to know what they are talking about.

That said... I'm interested in whether this is indeed a law on the books or not.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I don't know about AA County (or GB), but I know Baltimore City does have a local ordinance that bans the uncased transportation of long guns, unless they are in a secure rack. Something to look into anyway. I know there's a thread kicking on here that has a bunch of local ordinances listed, maybe give it a check?

And before anyone says "preemption" if the law was in force before 1/1/1985, the State of Maryland does not preempt.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=59964

;)

aberforth

Lurker
    May 5, 2011
    Red Lion, PA
    Thanks Inigoes, I was too lazy too look it up for the link. Page 3 has a post with the AAco stuff, nothing making it specifically illegal that I see, but I'd bet SelectFire would get a lot of leeway under § 9-1-601(e), which could make any violation of their policy also a violation of the law.

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    Huh? I didn't have a problem with the rule or following it, just that it was missing from their posted rules on their website and those posted at the counter. A gun range is hardly just any business.

I didn't think I had an agenda - If you mean that I registered and posted 40 or so times just to bash gun ranges that's just silly

I really wanted info on the idea that transporting a pistol caliber unregulated carbine was illegal unless it was in a nylon or plastic case?

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County

What the hell is your problem, Tim? Seriously, this isn't Arfcom. The guy asked a legit question, and thanks to others he received a legit answer. That is why this forum exists.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    Huh? I didn't have a problem with the rule or following it, just that it was missing from their posted rules on their website and those posted at the counter. A gun range is hardly just any business.

I didn't think I had an agenda - If you mean that I registered and posted 40 or so times just to bash gun ranges that's just silly

I really wanted info on the idea that transporting a pistol caliber unregulated carbine was illegal unless it was in a nylon or plastic case?

def not illegal mike:thumbsup:

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    I guess common sense should kick in at some point... Sticking a Fork in your eye is not illegal either but I won't do it if it was or wasn't.

The Forum Lawyers will jump in and quote law as it's written but personally I try to avoid hearing the word " GUN " yelled and having someone pull a loaded firearm on me because they missed that day in MD Law class where the teacher specifically stated that It's not illegal to carry a un cased rifle in public.

I guess if you needed others opinions on the subject then you got a bunch of them. Stay Safe

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    I did bring one there. I saw the sign on the door and went inside first with no guns to get clarification and see if I could buy a case (which I did) I had gone to Dicks sporting goods the other day, but I didn't think their cases would fit with the red dot scope.
    I see your point about the uncased gun since they wouldn't know if it was loaded.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The Forum Lawyers will jump in and quote law as it's written but personally I try to avoid hearing the word " GUN " yelled and having someone pull a loaded firearm on me because they missed that day in MD Law class where the teacher specifically stated that It's not illegal to carry a un cased rifle in public.

Never been shot yet.

Seems there's a postal worker at a local post office, who is scared snotless when it comes to guns. She always manages to yell at her supervisor (who is across the room and down a hallway) with some sort of question using that word.

Worst thing that's happened, all the other customers look at me funny. :o

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    I went over the rules listed on their website prior to visiting Select Fire in Glen Burnie this afternoon and was surprised to see a rule on the front door and the door inside (exiting) the range. This was the rule that all firearms must be in a case.
    I think it would be helpful to have this rule listed on the website and on the rules listed at the counter where it is missing.

The second thing is the guy who helped me at the counter said that it was against the law to transport a rifle that was not in a case. He was not able to assist me in finding this law, but was "sure" it existed.
    If I go on select fire's website to this page: http://www.selectfire.com/information/laws.html it says "During transportation to and from the above places, the handgun must be unloaded, and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster." Handguns - NOT rifles. Was this employee misleading me about this law or is their website wrong?

:sarcasm: Where is the BS flag when you need it?:mad54:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom