• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    After a Strip-clean I'm unable to re-attach the Trigger-group. It drops in but I can not Hinge & Lock the Trigger Guard. This is a SA Model (Greek Return, Korean War Era Manufactured) with a SA Trigger Group but I replaced the Original Stock with a New Market Boyd. From what I see the Stock looks to be mortised correctly. What's the problem here? I shoot & clean but I'm not a Gunsmith nor an expert on the Garand!

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Try putting it in at different angles, that can make all the difference in the world with mine. Its usually a tight fit anyway. Don't forget to make sure the trigger guard is open all the way. Sounds like it might just be growing pains with the new stock.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'd say that this is almost a good sign. You have a tight fit in the stock which should contribute to accuracy.

I'm not a gunsmith either, but I do know that they tell you to store the gun with the trigger group "unlocked" to prevent the stock from getting compressed.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Try pulling back on the trigger guard by grabbing it with thumb anf forefinger on the end where it engages the receiver as you close it. If you have the forged type guard this has a hole drilled through it. I have closed/opened mine when fitting a stock by running a small loop of nylon cord through this hole for a better grip.

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I took a Trip up the Gun Shop for Powder & Caps and while there I had their Smith take a look-see. The problem was with the Stock. The Base Plate Area was slightly heavy. He put it on the Mill and removed a few thousands and now its back together, tightly I must say! He suggested Glass-bedding that area.
    Thanks all for your assistance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom