• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Finally bought my frist AR 15 and am torn over what to do to it. I am not sure what kinda of sights or optics to put on it. Im looking for something for a little distance but that is not very bulky. Any ideas?

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Since I wasn't sure what I wanted as my optic on my AR, I went with a cheap NC Star $79 3x9 scope. It mounted right on the carry handle in about 2 minutes.

And since I have a flat top AR, I can take the handle off and mount my red dot or some other optic directly to the top rail.

It's worked great.....much better than I expected for as inexpensive as it was. It's never had to be re-zeroed since I put it on two years ago.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Since I wasn't sure what I wanted as my optic on my AR, I went with a cheap NC Star $79 3x9 scope. It mounted right on the carry handle in about 2 minutes.

And since I have a flat top AR, I can take the handle off and mount my red dot or some other optic directly to the top rail.

It's worked great.....much better than I expected for as inexpensive as it was. It's never had to be re-zeroed since I put it on two years ago.

Just what i wanted to hear, a good optic but not too expensive. Where did you happen to pick it up from? I think imma go the cheaper way for now and save for an AimPoint and Magnifyer.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I got it at a local gunshow....I think it was the one in Westminster.

I can't remember the vendor's name, but he's at virtually all of the local shows and has a full 2 or 3 tables of low priced optics.

Again, I can't emphasize enough how pleased I've been with it. :thumbsup:

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I do just the opposite. The sights on the AR15 are good for any distance shot I'd take with it. I use an aimpoint for close stuff.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I wish I could. I have crappy eyesight and it's getting worse.

It's so bad now that I'm retraining myself to shoot left handed because I can barely see at all out of my right eye. :sad20:

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Optics selection depends on what type of shooting you plan on doing with your new AR. Also, do you have a flat-top or the traditonal upper? I just finished researching on a scope for my AR10A4, and I am like you- I would like to have flexibility for close in and out to 400 yards. Here are some mental notes that I made in my search:

*The NCstars seem to have a hit or miss quality- some are okay, some are junk in that they won't hold a zero.
    *Aimpoint, EOTech, and Trijicon Tri-Power are neat, but seem to be for close range shooting. Aimpoint has a 3x magnifer that you can quickly mount in between your eye and the scope. I feel that this option is kind of a pain since you will need to remove/install/store the magnifer as your shooting changes.
    *There are a couple of low-price red dot scopes available: Busnell, Ameriglo, Redhead (Bass Pro brand) that can be had for less then $100.00. Quality is not up to Aimpoint standards, but if you are just going to the range, they should be fine.
    *Leupold, US Optics, Schmidt & Bender, Horus-Vision and Nightforce make nice tactical scopes that are small and are variable 1-4x. Each has a different take on the "tactical" recticle. With a quality mount, you are looking to spend at least a $1,000.00.
    *If that's to rich, look at the Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell, etc... line of 1-4x shotgun scopes. Most have a circle with a crosshair- you can use the circle for close range/quick shooting, and then dial-up and use the inner cross hairs for more precision.
    *Leupold also has the CQT. It's a 1-3x14mm tacticle scope with a illuminated rectile. I like this scope but the 14mm lens makes me wonder how well it would work at dusk/night.
    *If you have the flat-top upper, you may want to get your scope mount in a quick release (ex: ARMS or LaRue) and have a folding back up iron sight (i.e. BUIS) in the event your scope gets damaged.

Right now, I am waiting on the tax refund to buy the Leupold Mark 4 MR/T in 1-4x.

Hope this helps!

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    I use a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x on the flat-top for the long stuff and a C-More mounted at 1:30 on the free-float tube for the up close and personal.

Attachments

• DSC01116.JPG
      DSC01116.JPG
      9.9 KB · Views: 199
    • DSC01117.JPG
      DSC01117.JPG
      6.6 KB · Views: 202

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    *Aimpoint, EOTech, and Trijicon Tri-Power are neat, but seem to be for close range shooting. Aimpoint has a 3x magnifer that you can quickly mount in between your eye and the scope. I feel that this option is kind of a pain since you will need to remove/install/store the magnifer as your shooting changes.

There's also a flip mount for the 3x magnifier. It sits off to one side and with a push of the button it flips back into place.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    The Leatherwood M-600 is recommended on the Bushmaster site and it is today's "tax-time bargain" for about $120 off the normal price.

Looks like a nice scope. Has the "camputer" system which automatically adjusts for distance. I picked one up this morning.

http://www.bushmaster.com/taxtime/snhmnbsr.asp

Description:
    “Leatherwood Camputer ART Riflescopes were developed during the Vietnam war as the M16 became the main battle rifle of the U.S. Forces. Today’s new M-600 Leatherwood ART Scope is much improved over the ART scopes on the original rifles and is in use at this time in Iraq. The main benefit in the “Camputer” design is that the shooter doesn’t have to be trained in range estimation or range correction – but needs only the skills to make well aimed shots.

By zooming the scope and framing a target of known size in the scope’s reticle pattern, the rifle is automatically set for the range to the target. Then the shooter just holds “dead-on”, and the automatic calibration built into the Leatherwood Camputer ART Scope does the work! The M-600 3-9 x40mm will “Auto-Range” from 200 to 600 meters.

It’s optics are bright and precise, the “Camputer” control zooms smoothly from 3 to 9 power, and flip-up dust covers (front & rear) offer lens protection when in carry mode or storage. The Leatherwood scopes feature heavy aircraft aluminum construction, highest quality optical glass, clearly marked increments on control knobs, and a matte black non reflective finish. Leatherwood Camputer Scopes include both rings and a clamp-on flat-top mounting system. ”

lw-40.jpg

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I bought a Leapers for 100$ off GunAccessories.com. 6x32 rubber coated, like it a lot. Only thing i had to do was loctite the screw for the flat top riser mount. After i put 200 rounds through it the screw wiggled loose. Since i have loctited them i have had no problems.

<---- cant get my attachents to work right, but thats what it is on my aviator pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom