• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jasonmd08

May 9, 2019
    So I currently live in Northern VA and for me the gun laws are great especially coming from Massachusetts in the Boston area. So I’m not a stranger to tight laws but I have been told Maryland is much worse than my hometown of Boston. I would love to stay in Northern VA but my wife works in laurel and is tired of the commute. Will I really have that much trouble getting a carry permit and I have an AR15 and two pistols VP9 and PPS M2 I’m assuming the pistols are fine but my AR not ? I conceal carry for work so being denied would be shitty

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    The AR is a maybe. If it's an HBAR you can bring it and you don't have to register it.

If it's in a banned configuration, if you owned it prior to Oct 2013 you can bring it but you have to register it. If you got it after Oct 2013 you can't bring it.

If it is in a banned configuration, an easy solution is to change the upper to an HBAR upper then just bring it.

You'll have to register the handguns when you establish residency.

And yes you can pretty much forget getting a carry permit. If you have some special circumstances and are willing to fight for it you might eventually get one. They go exist but very hard to get.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I would try to explain all the major differences between living in Marylinistan and living in Virginia to my wife. Start with the infringements on your rights, taxes, sanctuary county’s, etc. requirement for a HQL unless exempt. Does she shoot at all? Get her interested if not. Explain that in free America you can basically purchase ANY firearm that strikes your fancy to include high capacity mags. In Marylinistan you are restricted to what is on the “approved handgun list” and cannot purchase, trade or receive high capacity mags while in the state. Good luck!

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for having the courtesy to introduce yourself.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Take a look at these helpful links – LOTS of amazing info!

FORUM RULES
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    Range Etiquette and Staying Safe

Admin News and Announcements

Gun Rights and Legislation

Industry Partners

MD Shooters Firearms Map

Acronym list[/FONT]

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I would not say Maryland is worse than Boston. It is, however, much worse than Virginia. People live here for the jobs...the instant they retire, they are out like a shot.

A carry permit is just barely possible, but hard. You can get a Virginia non-resident permit, though. That might be of interest.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Making the mistake of taking a job here is likely the largest one I have ever made in my life, and I have made some BIG ones prior to this. Would give a body part to get out of here tomorrow. Going to put it in my will that the children get nothing so long as they are in md. Makes my opinion clear I guess.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Go the other way...………..

Seriously Maryland is overtaxed, overregulated etc. That said there are really good people and nice places. Some awesome history too. Shame its become libby central. Virginia is next though.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ... I would love to stay in Northern VA but my wife works in laurel and is tired of the commute. Will I really have that much trouble ...?

Personally, I would leave no stone unturned in finding some way to avoid establishing residency in MD.

[Is there ANY way your wife can find a place to rent during the week?*
    Again, leave no stone unturned and time to do some real brainstorming outside the box. (Co-worker have a room or basement apartment to rent?)
    There has GOT TO BE some way that is not readily apparent.]

How ‘bout, MOVE CLOSER TO LAUREL BUT, STAY IN VA? (at ALL COSTS!)

*I ask as, My wife moved to N.C. and I stayed behind in MD and lived what can only be described as a very monastic and cloistered life the last 3 years of my career and we only saw each other the once-a-month oppty I got to go down to see her (or she came up) whenever I could. I would not recommend it for any but the strongest of marriages / friendships but, well, the return on the temporary investment is really quite priceless.

No offense but, from your question alone, I can’t help but sense y’all are not completely aware of how much is at stake here ... (how bad things are in MD, that is)

I loathed my commute every morning also but, “Suck It Up, Buttercup” became my mantra multiple times throughout every day and night for many years, just so I could keep my eye on the prize (getting the fvck outta Marylandstan)

(Not suggesting anyone ever tell their wife “SIU, B” but, THERE HAS GOT TO BE SOME ALTERNATIVE to any hard-working, law-abiding, tax contributing gun owner (or h*ll, just honest citizen) ever moving FROM Va TO Md !!!! :shocked4::shocked3::shocked:

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Making the mistake of taking a job here is likely the largest one I have ever made in my life, and I have made some BIG ones prior to this. Would give a body part to get out of here tomorrow. Going to put it in my will that the children get nothing so long as they are in md. Makes my opinion clear I guess.

Ditto

This state sucks

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    If it's a choice based job, I'll let others continue to chime in. If the decision is made for you and her, I'm in a similar situation; just moved here on military orders. The Service Members Civil Relief Act helps a ton with avoiding taxes and provides a few other, well, relieving features. Plus we have our housing allowance to cover that. So if that's what you have going on, let me know and I'll continue to share my experiences. Regardless, best of luck.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    You can find another wife far easier than you can find liberty in Maryland. Just say'in. :sarcasm:

Unless her job really, really pays well and has lots of benefits, I would tell her to find a new one.:innocent0

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Not only is Maryland bad it is rapidly getting worse in taxes (income and property), fees, and regulations. Before moving figure what your total taxes will be, that may change her mind. Then you should look at the proposed legislation we were just able to to avoid in this years legislative session, it will be back next year. If that legislation had passed you would have moved here and come October been wishing you were somewhere else. Have you got kids in school?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom