• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe261

Jan 26, 2013
    Havre de grace
    My son told me and the wife tonight that he shot an AR today at the rage with my brother. Then asked why I don't own some of them? After he went home the wife said" why don't you buy some of them" you shoot every thing else. Looks like I need help on picking out my first AR. I'm thinking something in 556. Any idea on what to get, or what to stay away from? Joe

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    ARs are like the LEGO’s of guns. You can get a MD compliant HBAR version for as little as $500 or spend $2000+

You’ll need to decide what features you want and are important to you.

Trigger
    Grip
    Stock
    Handguards (length & free float)
    Irons
    Optics (red dot, scope etc)
    Finish
    Muzzle brake

I guess if you post an ideal picture of what you think an AR should look like we can point you in a direction as there’s millions of ways to configure one.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    You should definitely get something fully-semi-automatic with a shoulder thing that goes up. :D

I have had good luck with these brands:
    Colt, Del-ton, Matrix Arms and Bushmaster(albeit pre-freedom group), POF, and Spike's (although I have heard some horror stories about Spike's)

I have had bad experiences with:
    Mag tactical(not machined to spec-bolt catch), Radical arms(not machined to spec-bolt catch and mag release hole), H&K (they run ok, but expensive for meh functionality)

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Poking holes in paper to start. Price range is a good question, I want
    something we can shoot and not have to fix all time.

Punching holes in paper is always a good start. The question will be do you plan on eventually moving to shooting competitions like 3 gun or other action shooting events?

Price range is a good question but so is what range (distance) do you plan on shooting at?

These questions will help people point you in the right direction for choosing barrel length and other options.

A well built AR should not need to be fixed all the time. Well built does not mean expensive it just means assembled correctly. With parts that match up well and are within specs. I suggest buying a fairly basic AR to start with and as you figure out what about the rifle works for you and what doesn’t you can change out the part to customize it to your shooting style.
    The other option is to start asking people to shoot their rifle and get your list of what you like and have what you want built right from the start.

My first 2 were fairly basic rifles. After shooting quite a few I took my time and gathered up the parts to build the one with all of the stuff I wanted. It is the only one I always take to the range. It also cost more than the first two combined.

They can be addictive so don’t say you haven’t been warned.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Good place in Maryland that stocks them?

That can be a mistake. Shops will try to sell you something they have in stock or something their armorer or gunsmith put together. Lots of Armorers and Gunsmiths should NOT be left alone in a room with an AR.

Last edited:

joe261

Jan 26, 2013
    Havre de grace
    ok good information, never shot an AR, lots of 38,45,270,308,12ga. AR question was brought up tonight by son in front of the wife, she said go get one, you have every thing else. Trying to strike while the iron is hot. I have lots to learn now.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    ok good information, never shot an AR, lots of 38,45,270,308,12ga. AR question was brought up tonight by son in front of the wife, she said go get one, you have every thing else. Trying to strike while the iron is hot. I have lots to learn now.

If you want to build, get a good lower and then carefully select components.

SOLGW Lowers are fantastic. One of the best made right now.

Colt will hold value like no other.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    My son told me and the wife tonight that he shot an AR today at the rage with my brother. Then asked why I don't own some of them? After he went home the wife said" why don't you buy some of them" you shoot every thing else. Looks like I need help on picking out my first AR. I'm thinking something in 556. Any idea on what to get, or what to stay away from? Joe

Remember in Maryland it has to be an HBAR.

Clandestine is an Industry Partner located across the river in Cecil County. Here is his information.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=200002

Another Industry Partner located in Cecil County is Jlowe's Guns.
    Here is his information. (I see he has a Windham on sale for $759)
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=175956

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    In the interest of striking while the iron is hot, I would recommend buying a complete rifle rather than building it. You want it to work right, from the very beginning. You can certainly build one cheaper, and, especially under Clandestine's guidance, absolutely build a much better than factory one. That won't happen overnight though.

If you try to build one in a hurry, on the cheap, and uneducated, you might end up with something that doesn't work right. :o That could quickly lead to not having a good time, disapproval, and no more AR's. :sad20: I suggest spending a little extra on a complete rifle that should work well enough for everyone to have a good time. Then they'll want you to buy or build more;)

schnauzr

Bark Bark!
    Jun 6, 2016
    MoCo
    Remember in Maryland it has to be an HBAR.

Clandestine is an Industry Partner located across the river in Cecil County. Here is his information.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=200002

Another Industry Partner located in Cecil County is Jlowe's Guns.
    Here is his information. (I see he has a Windham on sale for $759)
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=175956
    Clandestine and Jlowe are great. But it looks like Jlowe's entire "MD Compliant AR" section is sold out of stock, at least according to his website.

This Windham HBAR model R16A4T is currently on sale for $619.99 with free shipping, probably the cheapest complete rifle of the 4 brands listed previously, and has been recommended numerous times here. If you go this route call them and make sure they can swap the 30 rounder for a 10 rounder for you.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom