• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    TopKatt...where does one go to get a trigger job on a Daisy 853? And is there some place besides the CMP site to get a good Daisy 853 or is that the best place to look?

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    TopKatt...where does one go to get a trigger job on a Daisy 853? And is there some place besides the CMP site to get a good Daisy 853 or is that the best place to look?

CMP might be the only place currently, not discounting other internet retailers with NOS. Daisy has discontinued the 853. But don't worry the ones CMP sells are refurbished and where I bought mine.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Definitely artillery hold.

Youtube it for a more thorough understanding but basically let the rifle float in your grip. Think how a howitzer moves in the carriage as it fires.

Spring guns have more vibration issues versus piston ones but it still makes a difference.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    To give you some perspective, the parts for the 853 are a stamped sear and (not sure of the manufacturing process) of the 'hammer'. When I got mine (before stoning) it felt like two pieces of course, okay maybe medium, grade sandpaper rubbing across each other. After stoning and the other modifications I had a really nice trigger. A definate improvement over the 'as issued' trigger.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    CMP purchase

BIGTINBOAT and TOPKATT and any other proponents of the Daisy 853...

I just printed out the order form from the CMP site to buy a Daisy 853 and it says that I need to provide the name and contact info for the representative from my organization that will handle the purchase and delivery of the air rifle. I assume that means that they are only selling to junior rifle clubs or something like that?

Any other ideas about how I would go acquiring a Daisy 853 preferably from the folks at the CMP but I'm open to other ideas as well.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Well I had forgotten you needed to be a member of a CMP associated club. If I find any other location that has any I will contact you. I am sorry to have gotten your hopes up. Perhaps a member will have one they would be willing to sell you.
    Best of luck!

BigTinBoat

Jan 12, 2016
    Eastern Baltimore County
    BIGTINBOAT and TOPKATT and any other proponents of the Daisy 853...

I just printed out the order form from the CMP site to buy a Daisy 853 and it says that I need to provide the name and contact info for the representative from my organization that will handle the purchase and delivery of the air rifle. I assume that means that they are only selling to junior rifle clubs or something like that?

Any other ideas about how I would go acquiring a Daisy 853 preferably from the folks at the CMP but I'm open to other ideas as well.

I would try and contact one of the organizations in your area to get them to order you one.

You can search here:
    https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Also there is the 753. I think it has slightly different sights and maybe slight stock difference. Amazon has these instock for $ 250 new.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    quality and accuracy wise, my best estimation would be they are similar. The reason the CMP rifles were so affordable is because they were refurbished. New, they were about the same price.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    $350 is tough. The go-to mid-range pistol is the Izh-46m. You won't get better until you get to the Steyrs, Morinis, etc.

My advice would be to go to the Target Talk BB and check the guns for sale. Also GunBroker.com. You can occasionally pick up something cheap.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Three-Position Air Rifle Shooting is the most popular and fastest growing form of shooting sports competition for youth of high school age or younger. Two different Three-Position Air Rifle events are available. Precision Air Rifle is modeled after Olympic-style shooting and allows the use of specialized target rifles and equipment. Sporter Air Rifle is designed for new competitors or those who desire to compete with a minimum of equipment and expense.
    http://thecmp.org/air/

If you want the kids to get involved with competitive three position Air Rifle the starting point is Sporter Air Rifle and only certain specific makes and models are approved, the 853 is one. The approved rifles must cost less than $600, can not exceed 600 FPS, be .177 caliber, and are tested for accuracy, there are also weight, sight and other restrictions and can not have major modifications. The rule book available on the CMP web site has all the details:
    See starting on page 6
    http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rules.pdf?ver=101818

The Precision Air Rifle is shot with high level rifles that cost in the $1,000 to $5,000 range and require Shooting coats, pants, shoes, etc which are not allowed in Sporter to keep the cost down.

Three position Air Rifle is shot at a range of ten meters (33 feet). The targets are the AR5 series and have a ten ring the size of the period at the end of this sentence.
    https://www.nationaltarget.com/inde...22_37?osCsid=e5aa664a7fe2d50212fe51c839c918a0

To buy a CMP refurbished rifle you must be involved with a CMP affiliated club, the two clubs I am involved with have purchased 50 or 60 for the kids and all have been excellent.

I highly recommend you get the kids involved with a CMP program in their area. Here is how to find a CMP affiliated club:
    https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch

The American Leigon, 4 - H Clubs, JROTC, Boy Scouts, and individual clubs have Three Position programs and can affiliate with the CMP.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I received the two rifles today from the CMP...Daisy 853...one regular stock and one Monte Carlo.. Now I need to attach the rear sites and do a trigger job.

I shouldered one and my first impression is that it felt a lot like an M1 Carbine...which is quite familiar to me. So I’ll have to decide just how much I want to lengthen the stock on the one I decide to use.

I also bought a really inexpensive Crossman air pistol and set up a tiny silhouette target in my bank yard. That’s a dream come true...to be able to step out my back door and shoot. I can already sense the coming addiction...

Question...how much do I worry about my neighbors? How far will pellets travel at, for example, 600 FPS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom