• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Soooo, wanted a quick release option for scope mounts (mostly to justify the back up irons, yeah I'm mall ninja like that)

However, the cost of good quick release scope mounts is a little nutty. And I already have several bolt on pic rail type mounts.

Came up with this:. Using high quality mountain bike axle quick releases, chopped and rethreaded. These particular ones are made by Hope Industries in the UK and have stainless rods, phosphor bronze bearing surfaces and are machined from billet 7075.

If they are tough enough to survive my 240lb ass jumping from rock to rock, I'm pretty sure they can survive the recoil of a . 308

The rods are 5mm which sits in the pic rail slots perfectly. And they seem to hold the mounts on rock solid, but come off with a pull of the two levers

Attachments

• KIMG1924.jpg
      KIMG1924.jpg
      71.5 KB · Views: 403
    • KIMG1922.jpg
      KIMG1922.jpg
      82.4 KB · Views: 370
    • KIMG1926.jpg
      KIMG1926.jpg
      73.5 KB · Views: 377

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Man, that's really using your noggin. I have a few old quick releases laying around doing nothing. New bikes are through axles and too large to fit though, so there should be a lots of old ones, like the ones you used, in bike shops junk boxes.

ETA:

The fat one in the pic is the new and more sturdy through axel and bottom skinnier one is the kind you must have used.

Attachments

• 1392416431992-ecxclyd8c6n5-1200-80.jpg
      1392416431992-ecxclyd8c6n5-1200-80.jpg
      86.6 KB · Views: 361
    Last edited:

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Man, that's really using your noggin. I have a few old quick releases laying around doing nothing. New bikes are through axles and too large to fit though, so there should be a lots of old ones, like the ones you used, in bike shops junk boxes.

ETA:

The fat one in the pic is the new and more sturdy through axel and bottom skinnier one is the kind you must have used.

Yeah, used an old 9mm QR instead of one of the new 15mm or 20mm thru axles. Have a few of them in a box.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Well, they work. Zero hold was spot on in bench and rapid fire.

Removed scopes (to sight in the back up irons) and they held zero when put back on.

Sure they aren't super high speed low drag bobro mounts, but then again, I'm not high speed anymore myself.

I'mma call this a win

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom