• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iconicflux

Mar 31, 2019
    I’ve never been turkey hunting before but I’d like to go with me and my kids. I live near gambrills Park and have been heading over to the watershed to look for them and I’ve heard a couple way off in the distance but haven’t managed to find any yet.

Anyone care to give me some ideas about where to scout on public lands around the Frederick area?

Thanks!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    They tend to roost in the trees along the Monocacy. Easy to see them during the winter when float hunting ducks and geese. You could potentially try the MNRA along the river and see what you can find. The farm fields on the other side are good for them in terms of food sources.

That said, hunting turkey on public land is a good reason to make sure your affairs are in order just to be on the safe side.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Seen a couple years ago up near Cat Rock while deer hunting. Should still be a population around unless the yotes have tore them up.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    How old are your kids? Can they stay rock-still when you call in turkeys?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Is it really as bad as that even if using a blind?

There's always a risk to consider when wearing full cammo and making the sound of the prey that everyone is after. It's even more of a risk when you don't know who is around your or what their judgement capabilities are.

I don't know about around here as much, but when I was a kid in WV, there'd be one or two accidents or deaths every spring turkey season. Just be careful and keep your head on a swivel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom