Notices

Old January 16th, 2018, 02:12 PM #1361
Huckleberry Dillinger

Huckleberry Dillinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtodave View Post
But how would you know?

There's nocturnal deer EVERYWHERE.
I'm not usually interested in Nocturnal deer, unless the DNR starts to allow night time hunting.

The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.
j_h_smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 06:48 PM #1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
This won't be popular but...

Using police and killing the deer after dark has two advantages. It allows the police to become more proficient at sniping during night time hours and it feeds, for the most part, Democratic voters.

The first part, I am strongly averse to. The second, well people gotta eat, I guess.
Yeah, but I doubt the officers are just volunteering their time. Seems like the kind of thing where they are getting overtime to reduce the Bambi herds. Iíd rather my tax dollars get spent on a single DNR officer managining a dozen or three bow or shotgun hunters. And some lottery hunts you pay for...so...

Then again, maybe it is more cost effective paying the officers overtime. Donít know the calculus on that one.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 07:28 PM #1363

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Yeah, but I doubt the officers are just volunteering their time. Seems like the kind of thing where they are getting overtime to reduce the Bambi herds. Iíd rather my tax dollars get spent on a single DNR officer managining a dozen or three bow or shotgun hunters. And some lottery hunts you pay for...so...

Then again, maybe it is more cost effective paying the officers overtime. Donít know the calculus on that one.
Want to add another variable to the calculus? How about charging a use fee for hunting in the parks. I am pretty sure some people would pay $100 a day to hunt in a state park. There are plenty of government places that use "user fees". Heck, the parks already use them if you want to use a pavilion. Think it is something like a couple hundred dollars to use a pavilion for a party. You want to shoot at PG Trap & Skeet, a government funded place, then you have to pay to use the facilities.

End of the day, I would prefer that there are more hunting opportunities for people.

Let's throw some more issues into the mix here. Parks are closed at night, so you will not have soccer moms crying that their kids cannot use the park during the day, you will not have mountain bikers crying that they cannot use the trails during the day, etc. So, by not having public hunts during the day, the "normal" users of the park will not be complaining that they cannot use the park. They will just be complaining that the got Lyme disease and the deer herd needs to be culled through birth control. lol

Without a written agreement between you and I, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 07:35 PM #1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I was earlier saying the deer around me are going nocturnal. I will correct myself.
I don't think the deer are nocturnal, they are just choosing where to go during the day.
With no leaves on the tree, they don't need to walk into a clearing for sunlight to warm up. Driving some back roads last weekend, I saw deer out in fields where I know there is zero hunting pressure. I also saw some off the road in the woods walking.
I don't know if there are still acorn on the ground or under the leaves but they have to be eating something during the day.
My feeder was set to 2hrs before sunset until last weekend where i set it to 7am. I am hoping they adjust and come out early as they have had no problem only coming out well after dark. If they don't eat my corn, the birds an squirrels will. I only have a few chances to hunt left this month. Hoping to see them on camera during hunting hours.
They do not need to eat anything during the day, they can be eating solely at night. With that said, on days before storms roll in, I have been seeing 20+ deer out in some fields. One that comes to mind is a field off of route 144 just east of Pfefferkorn (sp.)

As you mentioned, the deer are not stupid. Neither are the waterfowl. They will all move to spots where there is no hunting pressure.

Without a written agreement between you and I, there is no attorney/client relationship. Do NOT rely on what is posted by me or others on this chatboard as sound legal advice. Hire an attorney of your choosing, pay for the advice/research, and rely on that. I discuss topics of interest on this board, I do not provide legal advice for you to rely on.
fabsroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 01:49 PM #1365

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
No cameras, but will think about it now. I've never had nocturnal deer in that area. There's a small spring in that area that seems flow most winters. My guess is that with the warmer weather, it's flowing again and they are looking for a drink before they bed down for the night.

Just a guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
I'm not usually interested in Nocturnal deer, unless the DNR starts to allow night time hunting.
they still go nocturnal... thats why you prob dont see them till after hunting/rifle season.

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 02:01 PM #1366
Huckleberry Dillinger

Huckleberry Dillinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcam47 View Post
they still go nocturnal... thats why you prob dont see them till after hunting/rifle season.
I didn't see them all YEAR long. I mean the entire year.

The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had high hopes the genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.
j_h_smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:17 AM #1367

Over in patuxent today. Looking for turkey actually. Some reasonable fresh deer poop. Maybe today, could have been in the last couple. No tracks anywhere, even in the snow. Two turkeys on one set of tracks crossing the path near my car. Otherwise no sign of anything bigger then a fox/cat (saw a black cat all the way at the other end of the fields near brown’s Church. No collar, perk of having binocs with me, lol).

Fabs, I don’t know about $100 per day (personally), but if it was $100 for a slot for a few days, absolutely. Like if some parks were open for a week a year of bow hunting at $100, sure is probably pay that.

If no federal funding bill today, I might have plenty of extra time to hunt the end of the season (if they don’t get it down know, I can’t imagine they’ll kiss and make up in a day or two). Hopefully that isn’t the case. Pretty sure this time I’d just be SOL on the missed work/pay.

lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports