• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    My uncle gave/lent me one of his old compound bows. The draw he was telling me is like 90-110lbs and the length is 30". The length seems right when I measure from my grip to my natural hold is 30" so I'm ok with that, but the weight is just WAY too much. I can't pull it and even if I could (I'm getting close) it's not something I'd be able to practice with.

I'm going to swing by the bow proshop on Ritchie in Brooklyn tomorrow and see what they can do for me as far as adjusting these things I just want to know what accessories I should look into and whatever else I might need. Thoughts?

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    90-110 lbs sounds really high, and certainly higher than necessary. Most new compound bows run 60-70. there's also a bow shop in Severna Park, 'Bay Country Archery'. I've had him work on mine, nice guy and does good work, his shop is an apartment above his house and uses a seperate front door to the left of the houses front door.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    First of all. . . . I am NO archery expert.

However, unless you're going after a Mastodon, why would ANYONE need a 90-110 lb draw weight???

I know more weight is supposed to equal a faster arrow speed (theoretically).

I've been looking at new bows and reading a lot of my son's bow hunting magazines, etc., and I'm reading that 60-70 lb draw weight will 'take' anything on the North American Continent, and that 50 lbs is more than enough to 'do the job' for whitetail deer.

IF that bow has a 90 lb draw weight, you MAY be able to get it 'cranked down' to 60 lbs., or so.

Find a good archery shop and let them 'do their magic'.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Compound bows come in different draw length & draw weights...

The nameplate on the lower limb should tell you who made it & what size it was built to...

Compound bows need to be fitted to you like a suit or a shirt or a pair of pants or shoes...

You need to visit a good bow shop to determine your correct draw length & a weight that matches your overall strength & body type...

The wheels on the ends of the bow come in various diameters to produce the desired draw length...

Similarly the limbs on the bow come in different "strengths" to produce the desired draw weight...

Make sure that the bow you end up with fits you OR you may end up with a damaged rotator cuff...

Hope this is helpful...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Sgt Preston here...

Compound bows come in different draw length & draw weights...

The nameplate on the lower limb should tell you who made it & what size it was built to...

Compound bows need to be fitted to you like a suit or a shirt or a pair of pants or shoes...

You need to visit a good bow shop to determine your correct draw length & a weight that matches your overall strength & body type...

The wheels on the ends of the bow come in various diameters to produce the desired draw length...

Similarly the limbs on the bow come in different "strengths" to produce the desired draw weight...

Make sure that the bow you end up with fits you OR you may end up with a damaged rotator cuff...

Hope this is helpful...

:thumbsup: If you dont trust peoples word take it to a few bow shops and get a concensus...because I've had my share of problems due to so called bow shop experts...in the end each place will get it working...but you need to gain experience with your particular bow to know whats right or wrong. I am still learning and I got into bow hunting 3.5yrs ago...My first season was a disaster...second and third were good and I'm working on my fourth season...but have moved out of state. But I am still bow hunting.:D

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Your name doesn't indicate where you live...

In Harford County, I recommend Autumn Sky Outfitters on Route 1 in Street MD ...

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.autumnskyoutfitters.com/

Call ahead & ask for Trent, he'll fix you up...

They have an indoor range right there & will work with you...

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I popped into a bowshop with it. They said my draw length is 29.5" and the bow is set at 31.5". The cams on it allow less than an inch of adjustment so I'd need new cams. The string is 20 years old and fraying, so they suggested a new one of those and they said the draw was "about 70lbs". I called ********. I was screwing with a 70lb bow in the room and could draw it. The one on my uncles was significantly heavier.

I'm going to give it back to my uncle and save up to buy my own, fitted for me at a weight that is comfortable to shoot often and a lot. Also, the Emberverse series got me interested in trying my hand at making my own self bow...so I picked up some stave material and aim to try my hand at carving my first one tomorrow. Cross your fingers that I won't put my eye out lol.

And you're damn right, I really need to hit the gym. But I'm working on it :)

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    Sgt Preston here...

Your name doesn't indicate where you live...

In Harford County, I recommend Autumn Sky Outfitters on Route 1 in Street MD ...

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.autumnskyoutfitters.com/

Call ahead & ask for Trent, he'll fix you up...

They have an indoor range right there & will work with you...

+1 for Autumn Sky. I bought my Bowtech there and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Since it sounds like you are in the glenburnie area, there is a heavir set guy who works at Dickssporting goods that can also fix you up for very little money im sure if any. I forget the guys name but if you go in and ask who is the best with bows there, the others will tell you him.

Also im in Severn and could use some practice and fun with my bow, so if you want to come over and try my bow or practice sometime let me know.

I doubt its set as high as you were told, Most are about 70 max. I like mine between 50-60.
    Does your bow have a D-loop installed and are you using a release? If not that could help you draw it back a little easier.
    Also its hard to recommend what to add to the bow not seeing it or knowing what you already have installed sight-wise etc.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I popped into a bowshop with it. They said my draw length is 29.5" and the bow is set at 31.5". The cams on it allow less than an inch of adjustment so I'd need new cams. The string is 20 years old and fraying, so they suggested a new one of those and they said the draw was "about 70lbs". I called ********. I was screwing with a 70lb bow in the room and could draw it. The one on my uncles was significantly heavier.

I'm going to give it back to my uncle and save up to buy my own, fitted for me at a weight that is comfortable to shoot often and a lot. Also, the Emberverse series got me interested in trying my hand at making my own self bow...so I picked up some stave material and aim to try my hand at carving my first one tomorrow. Cross your fingers that I won't put my eye out lol.

And you're damn right, I really need to hit the gym. But I'm working on it :)

Ok missed this a min ago but, the pro shop in Brooklyn also told a member here that i bought a bow from that He needed a shorter draw and the bow was a 29 inch( which is what the limb said), when i got home and started messing with it i found it was set at 26-27 due to the cam that was on it. He was also told the cams were not readily available and should look for another bow. I found the cams on ebay for 20.00 a whole set. Ask yourself if the info was correct or just trying to push you to buy a bow.

If you want a nice used starter bow for under 200 with accessories , look for a martin Jaguar , If you want to try one, come on over and you can try my sons out before you start looking, but there is a few on ebay right now.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    When I first started bowhunting, my first bow was only 65# max draw weight. Perfect.

I'll probably be putting it up for sale since I'll be using my dad's bow.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    If you're just starting the Mission bows from Matthews offer a lot for the money. They have a large amount of adjustment from around 35#- 70# +. Cost around $400.

Do you know what brand your bow was? Some start out really heavy and get easier as you draw. Depends on the cams they have. Did you talk to the older guy Les or a younger guy at the bow shop. Les knows his stuff, but can be a Dick. For this reason alone, I use and will recomned Jefferson Archery outside of Frederick. A little drive, but really worth the service.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    I just got a steal of a deal on a decent compound myself. I was at a pawn shop it was sitting there said the string was broke i got it for $90 otd i got home and looked at it apparently it was not broke it looks as if someone removed it so i went cost me $10 to get it inspected and the string put back on so for $100 i have a nice 60lb bowtech razor bow.
    photo.jpg

I am pleased with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom