• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Say I wanted to shoot for giggles at 200 yards with my bulk ammo, cci blazer, but wouldn't have much time to sight in on the 200 yard linr, but much more on a 50. With a 16" barreled mark ii fv-sr, what kind of hold-over would you say for that kind of drop? The scope happens to have mil-dot, if you can use that as a guide. I'll try and post pics of the results...

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    After googling ".22 lr trajectory," it looks like you'd have about 30 plus inches of drop from a 50 yard zero. Heavier bullets will be slower, and will thus drop more. i saw one chart where the drop was 55 inches.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    You also need to add in the barrel.
    A plain jane .22 barrel my not be constant enough to even get close to your target at that distance with bulk ammo.
    I have seen several people constantly hit a 6 inch steel target at 200yrds but they all were using heavy barreled .22s and match grade ammo

Good luck with your quest

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Say I wanted to shoot for giggles at 200 yards with my bulk ammo, cci blazer, but wouldn't have much time to sight in on the 200 yard linr, but much more on a 50. With a 16" barreled mark ii fv-sr, what kind of hold-over would you say for that kind of drop? The scope happens to have mil-dot, if you can use that as a guide. I'll try and post pics of the results...
    I use a 50 yard zero for my match grade 14" 10/22 (20" barrel -6" of suppressor guts) and shoot beyond 300 with it.

At 200 yards, drop with 40 grain sub-sonic (match grade ammo IS subsonic) is about 26 MOA.

26 MOA at 200 is about 55", so you would hold 4-1/2 feet above your desired impact point.

26 MOA is also about 7.4 mils. If you have a mildot scope with a normally configured mildot reticle, you only have 5 mils below your main crosshair intersection. This means you cannot directly hold for this amount of drop.

If you are zeroed for 50 and can only shoot at 50 and jump to 200, you can dial up the 26 minutes and see a change in impact point at the 50 yard target equivalent to about 13" or so.
    You also need to add in the barrel.
    A plain jane .22 barrel my not be constant enough to even get close to your target at that distance with bulk ammo.
    I have seen several people constantly hit a 6 inch steel target at 200yrds but they all were using heavy barreled .22s and match grade ammo...
    Very true. Most .22s will deliver good accuracy if they are properly fed, but unless the barrel has potential, long range results will be disappointing.

Match ammo is a necessity for long range accuracy with a .22. Don't be fooled by the high velocities and reduced drop advertised for the hi-speed and hyper velocity ammo, the trade off is precision. Without precision, drop is completely unimportant.

There are two issues with the high speed ammo when compared to good, accurate ammo:

1) it is loaded for velocity (energy and expansion), NOT accuracy.

2) .22 rimfire bullets are extremely sensitive to the turbulence associated with passing through the transonic velocity zone as they decelerate on the way to the target. Match ammo is held to sub-sonic levels, so it starts out below the speed of sound, stays there, and never experiences this turbulence.

As quickly as .22 rimfire bullets lose speed to drag, the higher speeds are often wasted. Another thing not obvious is that the lighter bullets have a reduced ballistic coefficient, so any initial gains usually equal out by the time the bullet has gone a couple hundred yards.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Alright, so probably not very reasonable to zero at 50 then. What would it be like if I zero'd at 100 yards then? And the barrel is heavy, if that helps. I dont plan to shoot for precision frequently, this is just something I'd like to try tomorrow if the range is dead, like it was last time I shot.

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I use a 50 yard zero for my match grade 14" 10/22 (20" barrel -6" of suppressor guts) and shoot beyond 300 with it.

At 200 yards, drop with 40 grain sub-sonic (match grade ammo IS subsonic) is about 26 MOA.

26 MOA at 200 is about 55", so you would hold 4-1/2 feet above your desired impact point.

26 MOA is also about 7.4 mils. If you have a mildot scope with a normally configured mildot reticle, you only have 5 mils below your main crosshair intersection. This means you cannot directly hold for this amount of drop.

If you are zeroed for 50 and can only shoot at 50 and jump to 200, you can dial up the 26 minutes and see a change in impact point at the 50 yard target equivalent to about 13" or so.
    Very true. Most .22s will deliver good accuracy if they are properly fed, but unless the barrel has potential, long range results will be disappointing.

Match ammo is a necessity for long range accuracy with a .22. Don't be fooled by the high velocities and reduced drop advertised for the hi-speed and hyper velocity ammo, the trade off is precision. Without precision, drop is completely unimportant.

There are two issues with the high speed ammo when compared to good, accurate ammo:

1) it is loaded for velocity (energy and expansion), NOT accuracy.

2) .22 rimfire bullets are extremely sensitive to the turbulence associated with passing through the transonic velocity zone as they decelerate on the way to the target. Match ammo is held to sub-sonic levels, so it starts out below the speed of sound, stays there, and never experiences this turbulence.

As quickly as .22 rimfire bullets lose speed to drag, the higher speeds are often wasted. Another thing not obvious is that the lighter bullets have a reduced ballistic coefficient, so any initial gains usually equal out by the time the bullet has gone a couple hundred yards.

Ed, I gotta start saving my pennies for your class!!! That was a good explanation.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Alright, so probably not very reasonable to zero at 50 then. What would it be like if I zero'd at 100 yards then? And the barrel is heavy, if that helps. I dont plan to shoot for precision frequently, this is just something I'd like to try tomorrow if the range is dead, like it was last time I shot.
    Zeroing in at 100 saves you some complications for the longer shots, but, if you're not careful, you can make the closer shots harder without solving the problem.

With the average scope-mounted .22 with subsonic ammo, distances in yards:

25 ~ 2.2" high (8.3 MOA / 2.4 mils)
    50 ~ 3.9" high (7.4 MOA / 2.1 mils)
    75 ~ 3.2" high (4.4 MOA / 1.3 mils)
    100 ~ ZERO
    150 ~ 14.3" low (9.1 MOA / 2.6 mils)
    200 ~ 39.9" low (19 MOA / 5.3 mils)

Depending on your exact setup (exit velocity/bullet style/scope-over-bore distance) and local atmospheric conditions, you may or may not be able to hold for 200 using a 100 yard zero. With the example above, the bullet will strike just below the top of your lower post.

5 mils at 200 yards is 35", so you're looking to get your drop under this figure if you want to be able to actually hold with your reticle.

The best solution is to dial this with target/tactical style turrets if your scope has the internal adjustment to do so. Many do not. I had to combine dialing my scope to it's upper limit, then use my mil reticle to hold over the remaining amount. I solved this problem by shimming the scope base to provide about a 30 MOA slope.

A sloped base gives one a "head start" on dialing elevation, so all adjustments are not from theoretical center. You actually have to dial down to zero at close range, but whatever you'd dial down is now an additional amount that you can dial up when needed for long shots.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I can't add much useful info beyond Ed's info, but when I was regularly shooting at 100 yards for the fun of it, I counted the number of clicks it took to move back to a 25-yard zero after zeroing at 100. I wrote this down and stuffed the note inside my scope cap (along with the ammo type so I wouldn't forget). At the end of day, I would re-zero at 25. So the next time out, if I wanted to shoot at 100, I'd just move the scope the pre-determined # of clicks and I'd be right there (more or less).

For me, this was a lot easier and more accurate than holding over by a certain amount, etc.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I can't add much useful info beyond Ed's info, but when I was regularly shooting at 100 yards for the fun of it, I counted the number of clicks it took to move back to a 25-yard zero after zeroing at 100. I wrote this down and stuffed the note inside my scope cap (along with the ammo type so I wouldn't forget). At the end of day, I would re-zero at 25. So the next time out, if I wanted to shoot at 100, I'd just move the scope the pre-determined # of clicks and I'd be right there (more or less).

For me, this was a lot easier and more accurate than holding over by a certain amount, etc.

That's a really good system, I should just keep a little note pad or something in my gun case.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    E. Shell

What is the name of your book?

You presented the technical information with such clarity I really need to enroll in one of your class.

Can I pay the tuition in brass shell casings?

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    I zero'd at 25 and it ended up being 110" of drop and I got them on paper at 200 yards using Federal bulk... to quote someone from that thread... "that isn't sharpshooting anymore, thats lobbing very small artillery!"

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Everything Ed just said.:thumbsup:

JoeBobOutfitters sells 20MOA bases for 10/22s.

I use Eley Match EPS for anything outside of 75yds. This ammo is the bee's knees and it's only their middle of the line offering at ~$14.00 per 50.

I haven't coughed up the $$$ for their really good stuff yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom