• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Well not really but the round exploded and sent fragments into my face and not for my safety glasses the direct hit to my right eye could have been bad.

Attachments

• DSCN9271.jpg
      DSCN9271.jpg
      101 KB · Views: 744
    • DSCN9274.jpg
      DSCN9274.jpg
      38.8 KB · Views: 737
    • DSCN9282.jpg
      DSCN9282.jpg
      88.6 KB · Views: 728

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Wow! Glad you're OK and sorry to hear about the failure. Being new to rimfire, I'm wondering if this is the kind of thing one might consider reporting to Federal, or does one just accept that with something so mass-produced you're going to have these types of things happen?

I've had the occasional "stove-pipe" and FTF, but this seems a bit more serious.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Hard to tell from my iPod, but it looks like it fired out of battery. That correct?

Thanks for the reminder to wear my eye pro...

krucam

Ultimate Member
    I had similar FTE's and out of battery fires on my 15-22 just after purchhase. An extractor ejector (part on right side of bolt) was the culprit. What color is the spring? I ask because I sent mine back to S&W and it was returned with a blue powder coated spring on the bolt. It has worked fine since.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Thanks all....I'm not sure what happend.
    It's a early model with the original spring.(not blue) and yes the extractor ejector(is that whats it called?) on the bolt is now gone.
    Yes, I sent a email to Federal and to S&W (for a shipping label) and took it buy Gunrunners for Bob to look at.
    Always wear eye protection.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    i think its the ammo.

last time i was at the range i bought 100 rounds of federal and 100 rounds of cci standard velocity. i had 18 rounds of federal that were stove pipes i had no problems with the cci. i was using two different .22 hand guns. both guns had issues with the federal.

it was good you were wearing your safety glasses

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Yup, it definitely fired OOB. You'll probably never know exactly why it did it, but certain types of ammo are more prone to it, especially if the chamber is heavily fouled.

I've had the exact same KB with my Spikes ST22 when running Remmington Golden Bullets, which are known to be hard feeding in Ciener style bolts.

All I can say is if the ammo shows any signs of being problematic in this gun (i.e. light strikes, fail to fire) then change to something else, otherwise it's just a matter of time before it happens again.

As always, wearing safety glasses if you're on the firing line is highly recommended!

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Had that happen last year at the silencer shoot on my CMMG dedicated .22 upper. I thought it was a squib that got stuck in the barrel followed by a another round. Loud pop and some shrapnel. Luckily there was no overt damage and I was able to continue shooting. You are right about the eye pro. Would have been a bad seen without it.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    i think its the ammo.

last time i was at the range i bought 100 rounds of federal and 100 rounds of cci standard velocity. i had 18 rounds of federal that were stove pipes i had no problems with the cci. i was using two different .22 hand guns. both guns had issues with the federal.

it was good you were wearing your safety glasses

Over the years I have had the most problems with Federal ammo of all types handgun, rifle, shotgun. The crux of the problem is that the ones that do function seem to function the most reliably especially in .22 semi-autos - pre boating accident of course.:innocent0

As a matter of fact I have a case that looks like the same thing happened as yours except mine just has a buldge all the way around the case. The strange thing is that the firing pin indent was pushed back out in what looks to be an over pressure situation. Wierd.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    i've got a lot of rimfire downrange for practice over the last few years and OOB detonations have cost me extractors in most every semi auto rimfire i own, both pistol and rifle. this includes my ruger mk II, a walther p22, my high standard sport king and model A and my colt .22 AR conversion.

i have yet to have one with my SW 15-22 or my buckmark.

personally, i think a lot of bulk pack ammo has bulged rounds in there.

a great reason why safety glasses are not optional !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom