• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    WSJ Article

There was an interesting article in the WSJ today on how a significant percent of NICS check come back "denied" but that it comes back after the 3 day period they are allowed to make their decision. Then the ATF has to spend a lot of resources trying to retrieve the guns. Really seems like a piss poor allocation of resources. Taking care of the denials in a timely manner would save a lot of extra, dangerous, hours in the field trying to get those guns back.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the cop i saw interviewed on one of the new segments said it really wasn't their job (or at least priority) to reclaim guns when they found out the background check really wasn't passed.

then the news segment said the guy got the gun legally because he had that foid (??) card. thinking he lied to get that, and lied to get his carry permit, so nothing was done or purchased legally.

all this crap infringing our 2a rights, and no one cares enough to get back a gun that shouldn't be out there, and doesn't care enough to lock up someone who lied on their purchase paperwork (and also here, concealed carry paperwork)...

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

It does from the perspective that NICS itself is incomplete as in states are not mandated to provide 100% of pertinent info in a timely manner. I read an article a few years back saying all states are deficient in reporting information and that only a handful of states are providing 25% of the info needed while majority of the states are in the low teens and then you have states like MD that are in single digits since they run their own checks. All of which is great if people buying guns never leave the state but this system is responsible for national reporting of people that should not own guns.

I am sure many here will say NICS is unconstitutional or not needed but it is the system of record in place.

Odarlin1

Ultimate Member
    It does from the perspective that NICS itself is incomplete as in states are not mandated to provide 100% of pertinent info in a timely manner. I read an article a few years back saying all states are deficient in reporting information and that only a handful of states are providing 25% of the info needed while majority of the states are in the low teens and then you have states like MD that are in single digits since they run their own checks. All of which is great if people buying guns never leave the state but this system is responsible for national reporting of people that should not own guns.

I am sure many here will say NICS is unconstitutional or not needed but it is the system of record in place.

I hear you. And because we will never repeal these mandates, no matter how unconstitutional, it should be re evaluated and perfected?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I hear you. And because we will never repeal these mandates, no matter how unconstitutional, it should be re evaluated and perfected?

I am of the mindset all prohibited people should not be able to buy guns and the system is there to prevent that but as with all systems it is only as good as the weakest links, in this case its the states. IF you commited a violent crime in MD and it never gets into the system how can one be upset that a gunshop in PA sold him a gun. I feel all convictions should uploaded to NICS along with any updates due to appeals and re-trials.

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    That man should have been arrested as a felon in possession of a firearm. Also for lying on his 4473, FOID card application and CCW license form.

Big failure, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom