• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhott25

Nov 17, 2018
    Does Maryland allow residents to purchases AR pistols from a FFL dealer or do you have to build a AR pistol? I do have a HQL and want to buy a BCM or Triarc System pistol configuration 300BLK or 5.56 and want to stay legal.
    I was looking at getting a CMMG Banshee 300blk or something on those lines.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The particular model AR pistol must be on the Md handgun roster and HQL is required.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Outrider58 is correct. Luckily, my recent 300 pistol from Sterling Arsenal is on the MD list and is sold through United Gun Shop as the FFL. Else, not worry and build your own . Make sure your lower us purchased as “other” unless it will stay a pistol. With “other”, you can put pistol on first then swap to rifle and back. Make sure you swap the stock in pistol mode to the brace. If you leave the stock on with the pistol barrel, you will have an SBR no bueno. Needs to be put as pistol first in order to swap back and forth. HQL not needed. Only needed if you purchase a complete pistol. I did get mine after a long while

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Does Maryland allow residents to purchases AR pistols from a FFL dealer or do you have to build a AR pistol? I do have a HQL and want to buy a BCM or Triarc System pistol configuration 300BLK or 5.56 and want to stay legal.
    I was looking at getting a CMMG Banshee 300blk or something on those lines.

Outrider was correct. Purchasing an AR pistol is legal in Maryland, but you must have your HQL (which you do) and the model of pistol you purchase must be on the handgun roster.

You can build your own pistol, in which case you don't need an HQL and the model of lower you buy does not have to be on the roster, or you can complete an 80% lower yourself and make that in to a pistol.

Make sure your lower us purchased as “other” unless it will stay a pistol.

How it is marked on the 4473 does not matter. ALL that matters is that the lower was a pistol before it was ever a rifle. As long as that's the case, you can swap back and forth all you want between pistol and rifle configurations.

This is laid out in the ATF Thompson/Center Letter.

A stripped lower *should* be transferred as an "other firearm" on the 4473, but all that legally matters is if it was made into a pistol before it was made into a rifle.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Do you have to register the pistol once complete if you build it from an 80%?

You do not.

Registration of pistols in Maryland happens only either 1) at time of sale if you buy the pistol while a MD resident, or 2) within 90 days of moving in to MD if you owned it before you moved here.

With an 80%, since neither of those two conditions apply, you don't have to register them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom