• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    What do you all know about the "other" Automags that are in .22WMR or .30 carbine? Those are affordable enough to actually shoot and still have a little bit of bling.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I know little of the one in .22 WMR. Anything made by AMT can be problematic...they had a reputation for spotty quality control depending on when any particular example was made and under what ownership...unfortunately not unusual in the gun world. The AMT clones of the Ruger .22 pistol and 10-22 rifle are examples of that...many report perfect operating examples and some report nothing but problems with them.

A friend has an Automag in .30 Carbine...he really likes it. He says the blast and fireball are a real thrill. I wouldn't mind owning one if the right one comes along...there are several available right now but I have my eyes on a AMT Hardballer Long Slide in 10mm and an original Bren Ten with two magazines!

So many guns...so little time!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If you run across any in great shape, that may not be at your price point, or you get enough of them, let me know.

I only want one. :D

I'll forward to you where the others are available...auctions and the prices right now aren't hateful but you never know what the hammer price will be.

I really only want one...but these damn things tend to reproduce in the dark when I'm not looking.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Didn’t the originals have trouble with the frame or the barrel extension cracking?
    SOF magazine did an article back in the late 1970’s on them and had a picture of one made into a short barreled rifle with a scope that I thought was the coolest thing ever.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Didn’t the originals have trouble with the frame or the barrel extension cracking?
    SOF magazine did an article back in the late 1970’s on them and had a picture of one made into a short barreled rifle with a scope that I thought was the coolest thing ever.

That's possible as there were metallurgical and some other manufacturing changes made in very early examples before production smoothed out...much like new models from any manufacturer. Early on the ammunition wasn't fully sorted out either from what I've learned. Early loads may have been overloaded for the early guns. Many hand loaders using cut down .308 casings could well have produced overloaded ammunition as well which could harm most any gun.

chriskat

Nov 1, 2009
    Bought three years ago, two in .44 AMP and on in .357; plus reloading and case making dies. Some ammo and a bunch of empty brass. Only wanted one .44 so I sold all of the rest to help pay for the one. Hardly ever shoot it as it's really too big for my hands but always wanted on since reading "The Executioner" book series when I was a kid.

chriskat

Nov 1, 2009
    By the way, I think I got a really good deal on the three since not many people wanted to pony up that kind of money.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I know little of the one in .22 WMR. Anything made by AMT can be problematic...they had a reputation for spotty quality control depending on when any particular example was made and under what ownership...unfortunately not unusual in the gun world. The AMT clones of the Ruger .22 pistol and 10-22 rifle are examples of that...many report perfect operating examples and some report nothing but problems with them.

I have a stainless steel version of the 10/22 made by AMT, and it is completely reliable. It has several features that aftermarket companies sold as upgrades to the Ruger 10/22 like an extended magazine release. I let my daughter shoot it when she was in junior high school and liked shooting it, but eventually lost interest. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Just picked up a second AutoMag...the 349th example built while my other one is later in the initial production run. I wasn't looking for another but this became available at slightly over half what I paid for the first one...just as nice condition but without the original case and paperwork plus my first example also came with several hundred rounds of original ammunition. This one came without all that but did actually come with a set of RCBS reloading dies for it...so a bonus of sorts.

Auto-Mag-reload-dies.jpg

Both of them...
    Auto-Mags-with-dies.jpg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Just picked up a second AutoMag...the 349th example built while my other one is later in the initial production run. I wasn't looking for another but this became available at slightly over half what I paid for the first one...just as nice condition but without the original case and paperwork plus my first example also came with several hundred rounds of original ammunition. This one came without all that but did actually come with a set of RCBS reloading dies for it...so a bonus of sorts.

Auto-Mag-reload-dies.jpg

Both of them...
    Auto-Mags-with-dies.jpg

I love those.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Auto-Mag-reload-dies.jpg

Both of them...
    Auto-Mags-with-dies.jpg

Those things are just badass looking guns

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads