• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I'm thinking about an M1. What should I look for in getting a used one?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Shooter?

Collectable?

Original or Extra Crispy (Clone)?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Check carefully for an import mark. If there is one, make sure it's priced accordingly.

Most sellers are smoking crack on the pricing. The internet doesn't help with that. Everyone thinks their Carbine is worth stupid amounts of money. Go to gun shows in the middle of nowhere. I've come across a few deals that way.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Other then the obvious like bore, serial numbers, etc., is there anything peculiar to the M1 to be aware of? Ken, do most import marks reduce value?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Watch out for repros like Universal. Some used GI parts on cast recievers then redesigned parts then welded up GI parts then different operating systems (double recoil spring).
    The bores should all be decent (.30 Carbine mil spec ammo was all noncorrosive for the gas system) and some of the earlier models need the trigger group worked on to take the higher cap mags. Take a muzzle gauge or a .30 Carbine round to check how the muzzle is.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    The Inland Division of GM made the most and Rock-Ola the jukebox maker made the fewest. There are deals to be had, but I haven't seen any around here. I saw an Inland last year for $400 at a pawn shop in South Carolina; unfortunately someone else was filling out the 4473 for it. I enjoy the Rock-Ola my wife gave me for my 31st birthday many years ago.

I have heard many warnings over the years about older non-GI carbines that didn't function very well (Universal), but I don't have first hand experience with them.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Import marks reduce value by a bit. Some more than others. An example would be the Blue Sky marked ones from South Korea. They have a reputation for being in poor shape and sometimes with the import mark stamped so hard in there the barrel is out of round. Many were refinished by the importer because they were so rough. Many importerd put their marks on the barrel though, so they were often rebarreled to remove them.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Look at as many as you can and start understanding the components that make them. I work slightly different as I buy first and learn after but it has served me well for the most part.

Non import are more desirable but also become more common than non import marked carbines. Check for cracks in the obvious places on the stock and try to find a stock that has a cartouche. The CMP had a release a few months ago and they were offered at a good price and probably sold off for much higher. I would try to stay between $500-800 for a USGI shooter. If you are looking for them locally, pick up a gauge so that you can check the barrel, you want one that shoots but also hits the target.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Look at as many as you can and start understanding the components that make them. I work slightly different as I buy first and learn after but it has served me well for the most part.

Non import are more desirable but also become more common than non import marked carbines. Check for cracks in the obvious places on the stock and try to find a stock that has a cartouche. The CMP had a release a few months ago and they were offered at a good price and probably sold off for much higher. I would try to stay between $500-800 for a USGI shooter. If you are looking for them locally, pick up a gauge so that you can check the barrel, you want one that shoots but also hits the target.

Not gonna happen at that price. They are $850+ now for a decent shooter grade.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I know a bit about the M1 Carbine and would be happy to give you details about what to look for if you want to contact me at my mail address: goodguy176@gmail.com.

I currently own one from each of the ten prime manufacturers, have purchased two recently from Accurate Pawn in Elkridge and follow the rifle on GunBroker.

With a little work and patience, I think you can find a service grade Carbine, all USGI parts for around $850-950.

I saw my first M1 Carbine in Nha Trang in 1966 while flying deHavilland Beavers throughout rough, rugged II Corps. We put one on the rear seat on every flight that year. Regrettably, I don't have a single photo of it. My personal weapon was a S&W .38 special toted in a shoulder holster.

Lew--Ranger63
    Korea, Vietnam (2), Germany

sandeman

Jun 19, 2008
    Pasadena
    The idea of M1 carbine being one unit is ridiculous.Usually they go by the receiver..The rest of the gun is what ever parts were available

At the time. When the guns went to the armory or sold to other nation the parts were changed as required.If you have the opportunity,gauge

The barrel.The history is worth reading. The M1 carbine is truly an international rifle.Be prepared,for others to

question your choice. It is fun to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom