• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    Great Optic for price I have two, but my damn astigmatism:tdown::tdown:, makes the red dot look like a bunch of grapes ugh...

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Great Optic for price I have two, but my damn astigmatism:tdown::tdown:, makes the red dot look like a bunch of grapes ugh...

It isn't you. I have recently checked 20/10 vision with no problems whatsoever. I haven't found a strikefire II that looks halfway decent. Just an Aimpoint knockoff. I'm keeping mine until I eventually get an Aimpoint. Right now it just sits in its box until I decide to put it on the M1A again.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Just got mine in. Looking thru my bifocals I see the grapes. But looking normally I see a nice crisp dot so I'm happy :-)

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    Troubleshooting when the dot is not a dot by Vortex

If the dot of your riflescope doesn't look perfectly round, the distortion may be caused by the way your eye perceives the dot—making the dot appear misshapen. This is called astigmatism. Most everyone has some degree of natural astigmatism. Here are a few ways to tell if the distortion you are seeing is caused by your eyes or is a problem with the scope:

Look through the scope with your other eye. If the dot changes shape from one eye to the other, the misshapen dot is likely caused by astigmatism.

Look through the scope and rotate the scope on its optical axis. If the irregular shape maintains its position, it's probably because of how your eyes are seeing the dot. If the irregular shape of the dot rotates with the scope, there may be a problem with the scope.

Try photographing the dot. Close the objective flip cover of the scope, place the lens of a digital camera up against the eyepiece of the scope, and take a photo of the dot. Compare the photo with what you are seeing through the scope. If the shape is the same as what you are seeing through the scope, the scope may be defective.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    If the dot of your riflescope doesn't look perfectly round, the distortion may be caused by the way your eye perceives the dot—making the dot appear misshapen. This is called astigmatism. Most everyone has some degree of natural astigmatism. Here are a few ways to tell if the distortion you are seeing is caused by your eyes or is a problem with the scope:

Look through the scope with your other eye. If the dot changes shape from one eye to the other, the misshapen dot is likely caused by astigmatism.

Look through the scope and rotate the scope on its optical axis. If the irregular shape maintains its position, it's probably because of how your eyes are seeing the dot. If the irregular shape of the dot rotates with the scope, there may be a problem with the scope.

Try photographing the dot. Close the objective flip cover of the scope, place the lens of a digital camera up against the eyepiece of the scope, and take a photo of the dot. Compare the photo with what you are seeing through the scope. If the shape is the same as what you are seeing through the scope, the scope may be defective.

Going to try these suggestions out.
    Thanks.

FWIW, my co-worker has an Aimpoint that he got (on sale) for about 4X what I got my StrikeFireII for, and looks the same exact way, to me...

I keep my on the lowest brightness setting, but turning it up, does indeed, make it worse, for me. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom