• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Shooting Steel Targets

I went to range that had steel targets set up. Talk about serious fun wow!! It's nice to hear your shot hit, and have to shoot around obstructions.
    A family friend invited me to the IWLA Halloween fun shoot in PA, sure glad I went.
    here is some video of my first time shooting at steel targets, and some slow mo video of someone else at the bobbing for apples station (no sound due to slo mo)
    I wish I had gotten more video of some of the other stations.

http://youtu.be/KAxn37f9fPA

http://youtu.be/T82i84tHj4g

Last edited:

AMStrick

May 15, 2012
    Port Tobacco
    There is a down side of shooting steel targets.

Punching holes in paper is just not that exciting anymore.

Now working moving and shooting. That is a blast.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    There is a down side of shooting steel targets.

Punching holes in paper is just not that exciting anymore.

Now working moving and shooting. That is a blast.

Yeah another friend of mine won't ever come to the indoor range with me because of this you mention. He says it's too boring lol. Sure is nice and warm indoors though, at 8:00am it was around 30-40 degrees

One of the stations had a moving wheel target, wow is that tough. I found myself compensating for bullet drop and the target moving....super tough ugh

AMStrick

May 15, 2012
    Port Tobacco
    Next comes shooting a carbine or shot gun on a single point sling then transitioning to the side arm.

Do this on a moving target range while moving. Lots of fun.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    One of the stations had a moving wheel target, wow is that tough. I found myself compensating for bullet drop and the target moving....super tough ugh

The Texas Star, lots of fun.
    Start at the top and ambush the plates. Don't try to follow them around. When they get to the apex of the arc they are still for a split second.

Jambone

Sep 15, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    I'd love to build some steel targets. Any thoughts on where to get a fair price on some AR500 or 550 stock? I'd like to get some 10" or 12", 3/8" or 1/2". Maybe setting up a group buy of some steel would be a good idea, what do you all think?

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    The Texas Star, lots of fun.
    Start at the top and ambush the plates. Don't try to follow them around. When they get to the apex of the arc they are still for a split second.

Yep that's the one...I went through an entire 18 rd mag and only hit 2/5....learned the hard way on that one lol.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    Yep that's the one...I went through an entire 18 rd mag and only hit 2/5....learned the hard way on that one lol.
    It took me a year to be able to shoot one clean; my first try took 26 rounds!!! Also, if you think that's tough, check out the polish & irish plate racks.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I miss having a fenced in back yard where I could pop multiple cans with my airsoft pistol. That actually helped out with the bowling pin shoot I went to the next day.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Next comes shooting a carbine or shot gun on a single point sling then transitioning to the side arm.

Do this on a moving target range while moving. Lots of fun.

Can you suggest a place a beginner could get started with this?

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Try Peacemakers National Training Center in WV. It's just west of Charles Town WV. It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to drive from Central Md. They have bays you can shoot at all sorts of stuff. They also have more competitions than anyone in the country except CMP (or somewhere). In addition, they have long range shooting for anyone that wants to reach out and shoot targets to 1300 yards. It's a great place. I highly recommend it. Just do a search on Peacemakers in WV.

Good luck,
    Eric

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Try Peacemakers National Training Center in WV. It's just west of Charles Town WV. It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to drive from Central Md. They have bays you can shoot at all sorts of stuff. They also have more competitions than anyone in the country except CMP (or somewhere). In addition, they have long range shooting for anyone that wants to reach out and shoot targets to 1300 yards. It's a great place. I highly recommend it. Just do a search on Peacemakers in WV.

Good luck,
    Eric

:party29::party29:

Thanks Eric!!

AMStrick

May 15, 2012
    Port Tobacco
    Can you suggest a place a beginner could get started with this?

I go to Storm Mountain Training Center. Here is their web site.

http://www.stormmountain.com

They are located in Elk Garden, WV. This is about 30 minutes South of Cumberand,MD. It takes me 3 1/2 hours from Charles County.

I strarted over there in Hand Gun I with my wife and daughter a few years ago.

Great people and excellent training.

The owner is Rod Ryan, they are a family owned and operated faciltiy. The instructors teach from the been there done that point of view.

Regardless of where you go to train, find a place you like and keep training.

AMStrick

May 15, 2012
    Port Tobacco
    Yeah, I'm interested in the contact info but I have a question. Did you buy stock or pre-cut targets?

Here is the web site for JR Traget. They are based out of Leonardtown.

http://jrtargets.homestead.com

The targets I picked up are 12" X 18" with a 4"X4" welded on top, centered. It makes the shape of a human torso.

By now I've hit them with 1000 rounds from 4' back to 20 yards and no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom