• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    My father purchased an sp89 back before they were banned and has been keeping it in his safe pretty much since that time.

Since it would be grandfathered and is pre-ban, is there a chance the 29" OAL wouldn't apply to this if i decided to SBR it? thanks

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    It does apply. In submitting the form 1, you are manufacturing a new firearm and it is subject to the 29" rule in the eyes of MSP and ATF.

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    Original sp89's are kinda rare. I would prefer to buy a current clone and sbr or pistol brace that one instead.

Actually you could brace the sp89

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Although, under MD Law an SBR is a PISTOL. And the copy cat law covers RIFLES.

So technically, the 29" limit does not apply to SBRs. But ATF will not approve it. And no one is willing to be the test case.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Although, under MD Law an SBR is a PISTOL. And the copy cat law covers RIFLES.

So technically, the 29" limit does not apply to SBRs. But ATF will not approve it. And no one is willing to be the test case.

I think it's because ATF considers SBRs to be rifles, there by falling under the copycat restrictions placed on rifles by Merryland.

That's my guess, anyway.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    As a SP 89 it's worth some coin , If were mine I would sell it or put back in the safe and leave it alone , Then buy one of the PTR pistols with a arm brace drive over to Va. and stock up on mags

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    Original sp89's are kinda rare. I would prefer to buy a current clone and sbr or pistol brace that one instead.

Actually you could brace the sp89

yeah i hear you on that. im definitely not planning on permanently modifying it even if i could SBR it. ill probably brace it. but would be cool to be able to put the mp5k grip on it :envy: oh well i suppose

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Wait, I didn't even realize there was a debate on that. I've been building everything to 29" and putting that on my Form 1s. But after making an SBR, one can (I thought, in the eyes of the ATF) temporarily change barrel length and OAL, but not in Maryland.

I was under the impression that even a temporarily-changed SBR had to be 29+" in MD. Is that not the case?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I was under the impression that even a temporarily-changed SBR had to be 29+" in MD. Is that not the case?

It is the case, because MSP has decided that. Their interpretation of the law is questionable, but that's their ruling.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    yeah i hear you on that. im definitely not planning on permanently modifying it even if i could SBR it. ill probably brace it. but would be cool to be able to put the mp5k grip on it :envy: oh well i suppose

AOW it to get the foregrip, then throw the brace on it.

You could also sell the SP89 out of state, buy an SP5K the next time imports come in, and pocket the difference. The SP89 still appeals to H&K collectors. They're functionally the same, but the SP5K will have the Navy ambi trigger group and the more modern F bolt group. The SP5K also already has the holes on the inside so you can drop in a paddle mag release.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    AOW it to get the foregrip, then throw the brace on it.

Actually (and it's been a long time since I handled an MP5K so I don't remember) if the OAL is over 26", you can attach a brace without the AOW stamp. So a K plus the right brace you might be able to run a foregrip on it as long as it's over 26".

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    Actually (and it's been a long time since I handled an MP5K so I don't remember) if the OAL is over 26", you can attach a brace without the AOW stamp. So a K plus the right brace you might be able to run a foregrip on it as long as it's over 26".
    23.75" with the Choate folder and 3-lug/threaded barrel. Hypothetically at least.

But that does mean with an extra 2.25" of brace, you could get it into "Firearm" territory and add a VFG that way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom