• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    What's the verdict on them? Are they more accurate than the rest? Etc., Etc., Etc...

I bought a box of 168 gr. ELD Match bullets to test out on my Rem 770 .308 Win but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    What's the verdict on them? Are they more accurate than the rest? Etc., Etc., Etc...

I bought a box of 168 gr. ELD Match bullets to test out on my Rem 770 .308 Win but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

The 770 isn't exactly known for its accuracy, no matter what you do. I ran some FGMM through one in 308 and couln't do anything better than 3 MOA ooff of a LeadSled. Mind you, this was after I put down a 4 MOA group off of sandbags.

It isn't worth trying to put lipstick on a used up pig.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    ELDs will retain more velocity down range, meaning less drop.

Also shorter time of flight, so less affect from wind.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The 770 isn't exactly known for its accuracy, no matter what you do. I ran some FGMM through one in 308 and couln't do anything better than 3 MOA ooff of a LeadSled. Mind you, this was after I put down a 4 MOA group off of sandbags.

It isn't worth trying to put lipstick on a used up pig.

Might've been you not the rifle.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I use 220gr ELD-X in my 300 win mag. Amazing performance on deer... and groundhogs.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ELD-M are designed to have a very good BC; shooting flat and resisting wind drift. I can only speak for 6.5CM, but past 500yds, they really set themselves apart from other projectiles.
    They are not designed for hunting; ELD-X are for that.

In my Blackout, the Xs(220gr) seem to shoot flatter than the Ms(208gr) @ 100yds. At 50 yds, there's little difference. The 220gr ELD-X is my most accurate sub load.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Might've been you not the rifle.
    Eh... that's a shot you may want to take back. On my worst days, I can maintain 1-1.5 MOA. Also maybe you missed the part about it being in a Lead Sled. Something that removes the human factor in shooting.

Believe me the 770 is a crappy rifle. I picked up my precision rifle right after shooting the 770 and was getting .75 MOA, till I stopped shooting it. It wasn't me, it was the rifle.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    147 ELD would blow up in my 7.5 twist creedmoor. Most would make it to the NRA 600 yard target, a few blew up.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    147 ELD would blow up in my 7.5 twist creedmoor. Most would make it to the NRA 600 yard target, a few blew up.

I remember the story of them blowing up for you. Crazy but to be fair, you were pushing them hard, 6.5x284 speeds.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Eh... that's a shot you may want to take back. On my worst days, I can maintain 1-1.5 MOA. Also maybe you missed the part about it being in a Lead Sled. Something that removes the human factor in shooting.

Believe me the 770 is a crappy rifle. I picked up my precision rifle right after shooting the 770 and was getting .75 MOA, till I stopped shooting it. It wasn't me, it was the rifle.

You don't want to use a Lead Sled when shooting for precision. You need the recoil for the rifle to perform at it's best.

Reviewers on YouTube have reported sub MOA on their 770s.

Could've been the scope, ammo, barrel on that particular rifle, primer etc, etc etc...

my 770 has scored multiple kills on Whitetail this season. Hit exactly where I aimed with my reloads. I'm not saying it's a precision bench rifle but it holds it's own as far as I'm concerned.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You don't want to use a Lead Sled when shooting for precision. You need the recoil for the rifle to perform at it's best.

Reviewers on YouTube have reported sub MOA on their 770s.

Could've been the scope, ammo, barrel on that particular rifle, primer etc, etc etc...

my 770 has scored multiple kills on Whitetail this season. Hit exactly where I aimed with my reloads. I'm not saying it's a precision bench rifle but it holds it's own as far as I'm concerned.

Using the Lead Sled was to see if it was me or the rifle, by removing me from the equation. Seeing a 3 MOA group with FGMM, on a Lead Sled, is atrocious by any standard for a rifle. Me shooting 4 MOA groups from sandbags is something I last did with a rifle when I was 10, and that was almost 2 decades ago, with the iron sights on a old Mini-30, using steel case 762x39. Bear in mind, I shot the same lot of FGMM in my other 308 bolt (bone stock 700 SPS Varmint) the next day with roughly the same environmental variables and was seeing sub-MOA groups the whole time with that rifle and lot of FGMM.

I was not using hand loads for the 770, I was using factory made Federal Gold Medal Match ammo that was known good.

I know that for precision shooting the Lead Sled is not the way to go, but I must repeat myself. I wanted to take me out of the equation for the rifle, to see if I was doing something wrong. I wasn't doing anything wrong. The rifle was just junk. As for the scope, it had a decent Leopold scope on it, that saw service on another rifle that was just a bench rifle. The optic was known good, because it was swapped out for another scope and the same results with FGMM still occurred.

As for YouTube reviews, I trust them about as much as I trust Hillary to tell the truth. My personal experience tells me everything I need to know about the accuracy of the rifle, how loose the bolt is in the receiver, how horrible it is while attempting to cycle the bolt, etc... I won't knock somebody for buying one if that is all they can get, but I will recommend they save their money for something better, like a Ruger American.

Don't even get me started on the fiasco of the 770 that I fired that was chambered in 30-06. It was worse than the one in 308.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have just started to play with the .30 cal 168gr eldm out of a rem 700. So far they show some promise launched at about 2700fps from a 20" 308. Currently get half moa out to 300yds which is right on par with the 168amax and 178gr bthp from the same rifle. If the claimed bc holds up they should shoot flatter for me out to 1k then my current 178gr bullets I run at that range. Could be a bit of a game changer for me if it pans out once i stretch them out if the groups and claimed BC holds up. Really would like to try the 212gr 30 cal out of my rum but have to hold off on playing with heavy recoiling rifles for the moment.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The 770 has a terrible reputation, but one thing I have had to accept that is that every rifle is an individual. Some examples of this economy model hunting rifle MIGHT do better, so lets give your particular specimen the benefit of the doubt and let's just say that it's nothing like the others. Let's just say...

I can tell you with certainty that EVERY Hornady match bullet that came to class shot as well as the rifle would let it, and they are my own choice for almost everything anymore. It would be a pretty solid assumption that the bullet in question will not be the limiting factor.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference in match bullet performance with a $3,000 custom rifle. Before worrying about the accuracy potential of any particular bullet and spending money for premium bullets, do one very simple test of your rifle's potential:

Buy one single box of Federal Gold Medal Match 168s. Shoot them and document some test groups.

If your particular 770 will not CONSISTENTLY put this ammo into 1/2 MOA or smaller groups, you would be wasting your time even wondering which match bullet is best.

Almost ANY bullet out there will shoot 'minute of deer', including my SKS's FMJs, so that standard is really quite nebulous. If your rifle won't run the FGMMs into less than 1/2 MOA, it becomes mental masturbation to select bullets for accuracy potential.

You will not be able to tell any difference in the bullet's accuracy potential, only its compatibility with your rifle, which you cannot find out on a forum.

My honest opinion runs toward the 'lipstick on a pig' thing too, but test it and find out so that you can replace opinion and speculation with actual facts, if facts are what you really want...

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Using the Lead Sled was to see if it was me or the rifle, by removing me from the equation. Seeing a 3 MOA group with FGMM, on a Lead Sled, is atrocious by any standard for a rifle. Me shooting 4 MOA groups from sandbags is something I last did with a rifle when I was 10, and that was almost 2 decades ago, with the iron sights on a old Mini-30, using steel case 762x39. Bear in mind, I shot the same lot of FGMM in my other 308 bolt (bone stock 700 SPS Varmint) the next day with roughly the same environmental variables and was seeing sub-MOA groups the whole time with that rifle and lot of FGMM.

I was not using hand loads for the 770, I was using factory made Federal Gold Medal Match ammo that was known good.

I know that for precision shooting the Lead Sled is not the way to go, but I must repeat myself. I wanted to take me out of the equation for the rifle, to see if I was doing something wrong. I wasn't doing anything wrong. The rifle was just junk. As for the scope, it had a decent Leopold scope on it, that saw service on another rifle that was just a bench rifle. The optic was known good, because it was swapped out for another scope and the same results with FGMM still occurred.

As for YouTube reviews, I trust them about as much as I trust Hillary to tell the truth. My personal experience tells me everything I need to know about the accuracy of the rifle, how loose the bolt is in the receiver, how horrible it is while attempting to cycle the bolt, etc... I won't knock somebody for buying one if that is all they can get, but I will recommend they save their money for something better, like a Ruger American.

Don't even get me started on the fiasco of the 770 that I fired that was chambered in 30-06. It was worse than the one in 308.

Who knows what might've been done to that rifle. I don't doubt that it shot inaccurately for you.

But that has nothing to do with my rifle.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The 770 has a terrible reputation, but one thing I have had to accept that is that every rifle is an individual. Some examples of this economy model hunting rifle MIGHT do better, so lets give your particular specimen the benefit of the doubt and let's just say that it's nothing like the others. Let's just say...

I can tell you with certainty that EVERY Hornady match bullet that came to class shot as well as the rifle would let it, and they are my own choice for almost everything anymore. It would be a pretty solid assumption that the bullet in question will not be the limiting factor.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference in match bullet performance with a $3,000 custom rifle. Before worrying about the accuracy potential of any particular bullet and spending money for premium bullets, do one very simple test of your rifle's potential:

Buy one single box of Federal Gold Medal Match 168s. Shoot them and document some test groups.

If your particular 770 will not CONSISTENTLY put this ammo into 1/2 MOA or smaller groups, you would be wasting your time even wondering which match bullet is best.

Almost ANY bullet out there will shoot 'minute of deer', including my SKS's FMJs, so that standard is really quite nebulous. If your rifle won't run the FGMMs into less than 1/2 MOA, it becomes mental masturbation to select bullets for accuracy potential.

You will not be able to tell any difference in the bullet's accuracy potential, only its compatibility with your rifle, which you cannot find out on a forum.

My honest opinion runs toward the 'lipstick on a pig' thing too, but test it and find out so that you can replace opinion and speculation with actual facts, if facts are what you really want...

Do you reload your own ammo?

I'd rather experiment with different ingredients to try to come up with my own load than pay the hefty prices they charge for their ammo.

Maybe it shoots really good in their test rifles but I want to know what I can come up with myself.

BTW- I'm not taking this really seriously. Hunting season is just about over here and I want to fool around with other "stuff".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom