• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I do this also with the bacon. It works great.
    However, I will say that grinding burger is my LEAST favorite part of processing deer meat. It is just a pain in the ass all around. (I use an old manual grinder, so that may be why it is such a PITA).

Cheap (fatty) bacon works best for me also. My family would prefer deer over beef. I guess if you butcher your own long enough you learn what works best.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I haven't tried all of the options already listed, but have something that seems to work really well.

I buy pure pork fat from a gourmet butcher shop or my friend's farm market. I then grind it 80/20 with pure (no white tissue) venison meat. I then run it through the grinder a second time to make sure there is a uniform mix. That's it. It's perfect after that for burgers, tacos, meat sauce, etc. I vacuum pack it into 1 lb. pouches to make it easy to defrost/use the meat.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    venison is closer to pork in texture and cooking time than beef. I use uncured pork belly I buy at the Korean market. 80/20 or 75/25 ratio works. Do not season or add anything to it other than fat until you are ready to use it. I use onion soup mix in my burgers and brown mustard and brown sugar in my meatloaf.

I totally repeat your post giving you credit for beating me to it! :party29:

The Latino/Hispanic markets usually carry porkbelly too.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    we don't add anything to deer burger. the whole point is that it is a nice lean meat so we keep it that way. most of our burger ends up in casseroles, meat loaf, etc.

Same here. Add two eggs and some bread crumbs to two pounds of ground for burgers. Never had a problem.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Don't worry about trimming every single teeny bit of fat out. I have eaten enough ground deer now to know the small bits of fat do not alter taste or texture. The deer are so fat here, its all around nearly every muscle section, and I spend enough damn time trimming fat and tendons as it is. Forget the fore shanks for grinding meat, but there are some muscles in the hind shanks worth the time to trim. Use abdominal muscle unless you gut shot or bullet plain made a mess. Trim neck meat, don't waste a good neck, esp all that lean meat of a swelled buck neck. Add eggs to the grind before making your patties so you can form them without falling apart. I don't add anything when I am making the grind, I too want that good lean meat. Montreal steak seasoning is wonderful. It makes roasts taste great as well. These young deer and does taste like filet mignon and just as tender. Thin sliced leftover served cold with horseradish is good too. Use olive oil to cook both burgers and roasts in. My dad and I love venison, so when I go hunting it's for both of us. I have also saved and ground beaver meat for chili in the past, but have had nowhere nearby to trap beaver in years.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Davsco has a point . If you are going for the high protein/ lowest fat , then strictly deer in the "deer burger " . If you mainly use it in casseroles, chilli, etc , your good to go . Cooking as literal burgers it is tricky not to burn and dry it out .

Most commercial processors will add beef fat unless customer declines . 1lb of cheap bacon per deer is the prefered .

Personally , I like to use default marginal cuts for jerky instead of burger .

I like the idea of using cheap bacon. I will try that.

I did buy some pork fat with some meat still attached to it and will try using just the fat and also with the meat and fat mixed to see what I like the best.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Don't worry about trimming every single teeny bit of fat out. I have eaten enough ground deer now to know the small bits of fat do not alter taste or texture. The deer are so fat here, its all around nearly every muscle section, and I spend enough damn time trimming fat and tendons as it is. Forget the fore shanks for grinding meat, but there are some muscles in the hind shanks worth the time to trim. Use abdominal muscle unless you gut shot or bullet plain made a mess. Trim neck meat, don't waste a good neck, esp all that lean meat of a swelled buck neck. Add eggs to the grind before making your patties so you can form them without falling apart. I don't add anything when I am making the grind, I too want that good lean meat. Montreal steak seasoning is wonderful. It makes roasts taste great as well. These young deer and does taste like filet mignon and just as tender. Thin sliced leftover served cold with horseradish is good too. Use olive oil to cook both burgers and roasts in. My dad and I love venison, so when I go hunting it's for both of us. I have also saved and ground beaver meat for chili in the past, but have had nowhere nearby to trap beaver in years.

We have loads of beaver in creeks near my town and all over western Iowa. It looks like no one traps them cause the beaver mounds are there year after year.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I watched Steve Rinella make deer hamburger and he said he sprays something on the grinder parts to hold down the friction when grinding the meat. I bought some olive oil spray tonight to try that with. I'm going to make a pound of hamburger in the next few days. I think I will do it in my garage where it will be colder.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    When making sausages I just cube the pork fat in 1" cubes and par-freeze for an hour and then grind. Depending on your grinder you could grind right to medium. If its a lower end one like mine I grind on course and then immediately regrind on medium or fine. The fat will lube the grinder.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Hand grinding sucks

Once we had a drive shaft hooked to a tractor to a reduction gear then to a #32 grinder, it was great till it ripped the shirt off my back, lol

Then we bought the meat section of an a and p that was closing, so now grinding is my favorite part

Are you serious? There is a way for it to be enjoyable? Is an electric grinder really worth the cost and make a difference?

I ground up over 15 lbs of meat this past weekend and was hating life.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I watched Steve Rinella make deer hamburger and he said he sprays something on the grinder parts to hold down the friction when grinding the meat. I bought some olive oil spray tonight to try that with. I'm going to make a pound of hamburger in the next few days. I think I will do it in my garage where it will be colder.

Food grade silicon spray is what he used I'd guess.

Keeping the meat cold makes all the difference in the world. If you are going to run it through the grinder 3 times, putting in the freezer between grinds helps.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Are you serious? There is a way for it to be enjoyable? Is an electric grinder really worth the cost and make a difference?

For 15 pounds,it will take more time to clean up than the grinding itself.Easy peasy

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

My LEM will chew up 15 pounds faster than you can stuff it in the tube. A good electric grinder is eye opening the first time you use it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    we don't add anything to deer burger. the whole point is that it is a nice lean meat so we keep it that way. most of our burger ends up in casseroles, meat loaf, etc.

Exactly! I remove all the fat that peels off when you skin it, then double grind. First grind with the coarse then stuff the game bags with a finer second grind. We dont have to use anything to bind it when cooking burgers. We just add salt and pepper and sometimes red pepper flakes to the burger when when cook and cook to done.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    venison is closer to pork in texture and cooking time than beef. I use uncured pork belly I buy at the Korean market. 80/20 or 75/25 ratio works. Do not season or add anything to it other than fat until you are ready to use it. I use onion soup mix in my burgers and brown mustard and brown sugar in my meatloaf.
    This sounds like a winning recipe.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo

My LEM will chew up 15 pounds faster than you can stuff it in the tube. A good electric grinder is eye opening the first time you use it.

Don’t cheap out on a grinder, it will lead to more frustration than it's worth. I used to use an Oster with a grinder attachment. It was an effort in futility. I now have a 1hp. Commercial grinder. It takes longer to prep the meat than grind it. One other thing I found works great is a foot pedal control for the grinder especially if filling game meat bags, or making snack sticks or sausage.
    If I’m grinding for chili (really love deer chili) or spaghetti, etc. I don’t add any fat. For patties, I’ve used bacon ends, or cheap ground beef. For burgers, I patty them and vacuum seal before freezing. That also seems to help keep them from coming apart when cooking vs. pattying when it’s time to cook.

I like the pattied burgers that are mixed with ground beef cooked in a slow cooler in brown gravy with sliced mushrooms and onions, Salisbury Steak style. Right along with mashed taters or fries, put the gravy on them!

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I cube 2 lbs of venison and 1 lb of bacon, grind with a coarse plate, hand mix and grind a 2nd time. Then I weigh out 5.5 oz of the mix for each patty and press it in a burger press. I partially freeze the patties before vacuum sealing to keep from squishing them. Probably not what a cardiologist would recommend but very very tasty.

Only wild game burgers I've found that I like better (so far) are oryx-bacon burgers using same 2:1 ratio.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    One thing I have not seen anyone mention yet is grinding backstraps. Only rare occasions such as extreme 3+ year old freezer finds, spine shot that shred it, or bloodshot roadkill have I done this. It is too tender and due to the lack of connective tissue and big muscles the texture is too soft and unpleasing to my families mouth. So i mix this 50/50 with normal grind meat.

+1 on big grinders, buy the biggest LEM you can afford. If you do a lot of deer this is more important than your rifle!

+1 20% bacon mix for burgers, "integrated bacon burgers" are the best. Tacos and everything else 100% venison. My local walmart gets a pallet of bacon ends every now and then and sells it for $2/lb and i buy a cart full.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    One thing I have not seen anyone mention yet is grinding backstraps. Only rare occasions such as extreme 3+ year old freezer finds, spine shot that shred it, or bloodshot roadkill have I done this. It is too tender and due to the lack of connective tissue and big muscles the texture is too soft and unpleasing to my families mouth. So i mix this 50/50 with normal grind meat.

+1 on big grinders, buy the biggest LEM you can afford. If you do a lot of deer this is more important than your rifle!

+1 20% bacon mix for burgers, "integrated bacon burgers" are the best. Tacos and everything else 100% venison. My local walmart gets a pallet of bacon ends every now and then and sells it for $2/lb and i buy a cart full.
    ;)
    sacrilege.jpg

Ive gotten grief over cutting backstraps into finger steaks and deep frying...:lol2:

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I use 2 pounds of beef fat for every ten pounds of deer meat. It's ground in a Kitchen Aid grinder attachment for a mixer. The speed setting is four add fat to your liking. Then use your seal a meal to package it. I do five pound bags or ten 3/4 pound pressed burgers.

Some guys use pork fat, I've tried it an the kids didn't like it. With pork fat I used one pound to ten pounds of deer meat.

The fat I buy comes from Hasting in DE (if I need any).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom