• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmike349

Jun 26, 2013
    1. Winchester 1892 Case Hardened Sporter in .45 LC
    2. Ruger new Vaquero 7.5 inch in .45 LC

Since I was a little kid I wanted a six gun and a pistol caliber carbine in matching calibers. When I finally got old enough and had enough disposable income to make a purchase I did some basic research and pulled the trigger, but looking back I wish I made a different decision to fulfill this need.

For those that hand load the .45 colt can be an amazing cartridge depending on the firearm you use. See the writings of John Linebaugh for more information that can ever fit here. My issue is there are essentially 3 tiers when hand loading within safe pressures depending on what gun you load it for. I purchased a Ruger new vaquero 7.5 and a Winchester 1892 Case Hardened Sporter (both in .45 LC) with the intent that I could hunt whitetails with ammo that would be safe to fire from both guns (as they did when these guns were popular, likely with a .44-40). unfortunately the Ruger new vaquero's frame size can only take tier 2 loads safely which does not meet the minimum muzzle energy for hunting within maryland. I could load for tier 3 with my Winchester, but the OAL would exceed maximum size which has a tendency to jam in 1892 without modification, in addition (after talking to Steve Young of Steve's gunz) the 1892 was designed for a bottle necked cartridge causing additional issues when firing a straight walled cartridge like the .45 colt, limiting the profile to a round nose, as opposed to more efficient and accurate designs like the LBT LFN-GC. the stuff you can get off the counter is typically tier 1 or tier 3 (+P) and both are very expensive. if you don't hand load and don't have money to burn it doesn't make sense to own a .45 LC firearm.

If I had a chance to do it over again I would have purchased a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in .44 Magnum and a Rossi 1892 case hardened sporter in .44 magnum as this is a more functional choice for what I had planned. both are now discontinued by Ruger and Rossi respectively.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    Only one. Glock 37.

I honestly got a relatively good deal ($450 for 5 mags, GTL-21, and a Glock 37 with less than 500 rounds through it) and it shoots flat as can be for a .45, but the unavailability of ammo outside the internet / the odd shop combined with the death of the round in general made me realize my mistake.

That said, I converted it to a 17 fairly simply and as such, don't COMPLETELY regret it.

Just mostly.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    1) Snub nose Ruger 44mag redhawk. It’s the only ruger double action revolver I have and I simply don’t like it. Bought a comparable S&W 629 and shoot it regularly.

2) Desert Eagle 1911 carry. Much prefer shooting my TRP so the DE basically is a safe queen.

Anyone interested in either can PM me!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    WITHOUT FAIL, THE ABSOLUTE BIGGEST PURCHASE REGRET I WILL *EVER* HAVE is …

- the house my father purchased, in a faraway, krazy *ss place called Maryland.

In the 50's, right before I was born!

barr321

Inaccurately accurate
    Sep 22, 2018
    When I first bought it, I loved my Tavor X95, but the more I fiddled around with it, the more I gree to dislike it. Some aspects of it were nice, but I just couldn’t get over the awful bolt catch positioning.

ADCOLE

Apr 29, 2014
    Upper Marlboro
    Really? What were the issue(s) you experienced?

It worked perfectly when I first got it until the forearm railing fell apart. I was using a Magpul angle grip to assist with the pump action. I sent it to Utas USA and they replaced the railing with an "upgraded part". I was told by Utas that the pump action was not designed to be used with this accessory however, they still covered the repair under warranty. While they were at it, the plastic trigger assembly was replaced with an aluminum assembly. The gun hasn't been right since.

provvv

Jan 29, 2017
    Baltimore County
    I had CZ Scorpion I tricked out. Honestly, I loved getting accessories for it but I wasn't inlove with the gun. It just wasn't practical. It was a great range gun but if shit hit the fan at home, I would never use it as self-defense. I would honestly look like a fanatic. I ended up getting rid of it. I sometimes question that choice, but I did what I did.

I'll tell you what gun I bought which I couldn't afford at the time because I had just bought one the week before and that's the rossi 92 in .357. I loveee a lever gun and I always dreamed of having one. Unfortunatley all the Winchesters are like $1k + and the Rossi's at the time were hard to find due to a factory overhaul and relocation, but somehow my LGS had a new Rossi in .357. I bought that faster than I have ever bought a gun before and I don't regret it for a second. It shoots like a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom