• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Make sure you check your stands and use safety equipment. My buddy got complacent after years of hunting out of portable tree stands and fell 20 feet today. He broke his pelvis and had to crawl 90 yards to get to a point another hunter could hear him yell. He is scheduled for surgery in the morning. Prayers and well wishes appreciated.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    My pucker hole would tighten up and never release at 20 feet.

He is very fortunate that he's not dead.

Best wishes for your friend.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I always wear a harness now whenever I hunt from my climber or lock on. Harness saved me two years ago when my climber slipped and I almost fell off the side of it.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    we had an old man fall last year about 20 feet and he broke his collarbone and some other bs in his shoulder.

you can never be too careful.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    It amazes me that people wont wear harnesses in lock ons or climbers. I won't go up the tree 5 feet without one on. I would rather is ton the ground than climb without mine. I offered to give my hunting buddy a good HSS harness and he said no thanks....havent fallen yet is his excuse. I told him I wont be the one telling his family when he falls and breaks his neck.

Good luck to your friend, sorry he had to experience such a thing.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I hook up my safety harness before I ever step off the ground. It is easy to move the tie off rope up as I move my climber up the tree.

For those that know me you know I'm a big guy. So one more thing to keep track of, weight capacity of the stand and harness. My climber is rated to 400 lbs as is my harness. Don't forget to add in the weight of your gear. I recommend using a haul rope to pull your hunting weapon and other gear up once you are locked into position.

I have fallen once and was caught by my harness. Just a few bruises but my pride was hurt more then anything else.

USE A HARNESS!

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    An Army SGT buddy of mine fell out of a stand in MD years ago, paralyzed himself. I remember going to Richmond with another friend to see him in the VA there. Rough go of it. Young guy at the time with a climbing stand.

That has been almost 20yrs ago now. I have been in a ladder stand a few times since and just don't care for it. I make other methods work.

Yes, make sure you use the safety gear! Gets in the way and takes some time, but the option is not good.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    His surgery went well. He had broke his pelvis in 2 places and shattered his tailbone. They put 3 screws in his pelvis. They also found he chipped one of his vertebra. He is siting up now and eating dinner. The first responder on the scene was the cop that found the guy last year in that area who had fallen out of his stand and broke his neck. He was happy to find my buddy alive.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Also--Not all harnesses are created equally. Spend at least the cost of a few boxes of nice ammo on your harness. Get one that straps in each leg and shoulder separately, and doesn't have anything that could squeeze your guts.

I use this one and feel safe with it on. It probably adds a total of 2 more minutes to my climb time. I never climb more than 25 feet and I use it whether I'm in my climber or in a fixed ladder stand. I keep it tight enough that I can stand up in the tree and don't allow any more slack than that. That means I'll have about a 3-foot fall if the worst happens. That won't feel good. And gentlemen--make sure the cowboy is in the saddle. A 3-foot fall would be devastating if you're not careful about that part.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safety...=1450724232&sr=8-1&keywords=treestand+harness

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Remember, you are only as strong as your weakest link. Don't take chances, especially just for a deer.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My brother in law had a friend who died last year falling out of a tree stand on the eastern shore.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    His surgery went well but there has been some other issues. He might not make it home for Christmas. The doctors said they don't want him to walk for at least 2 months, they are giving him some sort of hospital chair he has to sit in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom