• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    My wife suffers from depression. I keep the guns locked to protect her and ME. I'm serious about that. She's tried a couple times to quit the meds, with her doctors help. Totally different personality...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    MSP said that if guns in the house are secure (in a safe) and not accessible by the person who shouldn't have access then they should not be confiscated. This includes felons and persons restricted because of mental illness. This is from the HB618 task force meetings. I heard this live and in person from two high ranking folks at MSP. Of course, what occurs in practice is different.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    OP, AA County will work with you a lot better than most departments about getting the guns back. What they're probably going to want is reassurance that your future wife isn't going to use one of the guns on herself when they hand them back. Believe it or not the police really don't enjoy hours of paperwork involved in storing someone's guns. But when they sign off on the return of those guns to you they are going to own that decision forever in a liability sense. Even if you are the actual owner, she still will have possession of them too from the sounds of it. And, I have to say, when someone makes a statement to the world they are going to kill themselves, it is serious. Threats to kill one's self should always be taken seriously. Call the Firearms Control Officer at AA County Headquarters on Monday and see what he needs to return the guns. There is no covert agenda there to keep your guns from you. Normally I'm the first one to say get a lawyer but in this case I think you'd just be wasting money to be told the same things about what you need to do.

Yep, I know a guy that hung himself this summer. He talked about killing himself on FB. Then one day he posted . Yep, I'm going to do it. and he did.

JR9390

Jan 2, 2012
    Talk to the people first at AA pd and see what they tell you before you go spending hundreds of dollars on a lawyer.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Your not going want to hear what Im about to tell you but its the only logical choice. However much you think you live your fiance or want to be with her you need to walk away now and not look back. Her depression will rule both of your lives for as long your together.Its a ridiculously impossible thing to deal with. Most medications prescribed are just a guess by the doctor. No matter how much research has been done nobody really understands what makes the brain tick or why certain people have certain issues. Get a lawyer to be safe and then get your guns back. Get a gun safe and lock them up. If shes openly talking about suicide she needs to be evaluated and or possibly committed. Suicidal thoughts dont take long to progress into actions. I can seriously relate to your situation aside from the gun issue. If you have no connection to her other than emotions walk away before there are kids involved or a name change on her end.

bcbg

Nov 21, 2012
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Thank you for all the comments, I apologize if I started any debates.

My question was more in regards to what can be done to speed up the process. I don't believe her to be a danger to herself, and the medical staff at the hospital have concluded the same. They are releasing her tomorrow. I appreciate all of the suggestions and information.

To those suggesting I leave her, she is one of the strongest people I have ever met. I love the woman. I've been with her for over 5 years, and I know her very well. We are talking about someone who was intentionally abused most of her life in an attempt to turn her into a submissive pay check. She grew up being told she was worthless, friends were forbidden, and basic necessities such as a mattress to sleep on were denied. She was even raped at one point. Despite all of this it took several months of 14 hour work days in a very toxic work environment to drive her to the point of making the statement she did (she made it from her cell phone from work). I can't say that I would hold up as well under those circumstances. I am requiring her to go see a therapist for awhile to help her cope better with stress.

As for the firearms, the rifles were visible, the hand guns were not. I turned over the handguns because I was concerned for her safety and I wanted to be compliant. At the time I was not fully aware of exactly what had been said/done on facebook or that she was going to be detained and evaluated. The question was not about the legality of them being taken, it was about what I can do to help the process along now that I am no longer concerned about her hurting herself. For example, would having the original paperwork from when I purchased the firearm help? Would picking up a gun safe help in alleviating the AA police departments concerns?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The question was not about the legality of them being taken, it was about what I can do to help the process along now that I am no longer concerned about her hurting herself. For example, would having the original paperwork from when I purchased the firearm help? Would picking up a gun safe help in alleviating the AA police departments concerns?

These are questions that can only be answered by the officer handling the case at AA County PD. Every case is different and there's no set answer. The good news is they do have a relatively efficient process and the officer who handles these cases does his best to be helpful. A lot of departments you'd have your case buried under months of backlog and bureaucracy.

damionkarp

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 9, 2012
    Just looking for some advice, being fairly new to Maryland I'm not too familiar with the laws. Any constructive comments are welcome.

My future wife suffers from depression and takes antidepressants. Most of the time she is ok, but a few days ago she had a particularly bad day and posted on facebook that she was going to kill herself. This resulted in the police looking for her, not being able to get a hold of her and breaking down our front door. When we got home they confiscated my 4 firearms and put her under a psych hold at a local hospital.

I'm dealing with the psych hold, but does anyone have any advice on getting my firearms returned to me. The AA police are suggesting it could be longer than a month to go through the process. All were legally purchased, two in Florida before I moved to MD and two locally. They included a Savage Arms .22 Rifle, Glock 23, Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, and a Colt Carbine I had just picked up the night before the "raid".

We were planning to go to Florida for the Holidays in a few weeks to get married, and the bachelor party was supposed to revolve around the gun range so this is a big disappointment. Any advice on how to expedite the process would be appreciated.

A couple of questions. You said the police were looking for her because she threatend to kill herself on Facebook. You said the police couldn't get a hold of her so they broke the front door down looking for her. You and your fiancé arrive at the house and discover the police there. Your firearms are confiscated.

Here are my questions.
    1. Did friends or family try to contact you before they called the cops?
    2. Did the police try to contact you?
    3. At what point did you discover your firearms were confiscated?
    4. Did the police tell you they took your guns?
    5. How long were the police in your house?
    6. Did the police tell you how you can get your guns back?
    7. Are you going to marry her now knowing she might off herself?
    8. Why does she want to kill herself?

Just trying to fill in some holes, no pun intended!

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    My guess is, they originally took your guns because they kicked in the door and your firearms were not locked in a safe. They can not leave your firearms in a unsafe manner, so they confiscated them. Now you will have to prove that they will be kept in a safe manner where your future wife can not get to them. You will have to wait out out some time to get them back as they will have to enter them into the system. They will have to run them and make sure they are in fact yours and registered them.

I hope your fiancée gets better. Prayers to you and your fiancée.

Yeow, feel for you. You have a lot on your plate to consider and reconsider, this could be your future............ :sad20:
    This right here. Can't leave guns lying around for children or the unstable to hurt themselves.
    One thing I probably wouldn't do is get married at this point, she obviously needs help.
    Sorry to say but probably right. We all think we can fix messed up but it rarely ever happens.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    GNLaFrance, it all depends on what she exactly said on Facebook and the amount of exigency the police beloved existed. Suicide isn't seen as "legal" and the police have the expectation to stop you from killing yourself. Most people are just crying for help.
    This.....

These are questions that can only be answered by the officer handling the case at AA County PD. Every case is different and there's no set answer. The good news is they do have a relatively efficient process and the officer who handles these cases does his best to be helpful. A lot of departments you'd have your case buried under months of backlog and bureaucracy.
    Agree....

To the OP, but not to be this thorn but there is more to this than a FB posting alone. If what was said happened then the corresponding agency should be able to walk you through the process as to what happens next. Also do your homework, call MSP explain the situation and perhaps they can feed you documentation to help you.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Op, good luck to you. I would first contact AAPD. If you do not get satisfaction with this phone call, contact an attorney. I know you love this woman, and will not take advice concerning staying with her or not. That said, I would think long and hard before marrying her. With her past as you descibed, she may be broken beyond repair. Good luck.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    You have been, through no direct action or request of your own, thrust into an interaction with a government agency. These are staffed by people, good and bad, competent, incompetent, and everywhere in between.
    Like it or not, you need the services of someone who will know what to do, as well as what not to do, and will act as an agent for you, for you only, and is a professional in these matters. Hire a lawyer. It would be great if you could drive down main street, have a chat with Andy and Barney, and everything is given back with apologies for the misunderstanding. That is just not going to happen. Have all contact go through the lawyer. Remember ANYTHING you speak or write, or sign in agreement cannot be undone. One mistake on your part based on a suggestion by an incompetent, no matter how helpful the intent, suggestion can be your downfall in this or any future government interaction. Per your first post, it sounds like you will have more of that kind of activity in your near term future. You will not have to guess and wonder, you will KNOW that the correct course of action is being pursued, that the correct forms are filled the correct way, and that the government is responding as it should.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Believe it or not police legally take and legally return firearms all the time.

The department has a process...contact them and start the process. If you are unhappy with the time it takes or if you get the run around THEN get an attorney.

It's easy for everyone to tell you to piss money away and hire an attorney....it's not needed unless you get the run around or fail to get your firearms returned.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Just looking for some advice, being fairly new to Maryland I'm not too familiar with the laws. Any constructive comments are welcome.

My future wife suffers from depression and takes antidepressants. Most of the time she is ok, but a few days ago she had a particularly bad day and posted on facebook that she was going to kill herself. This resulted in the police looking for her, not being able to get a hold of her and breaking down our front door. When we got home they confiscated my 4 firearms and put her under a psych hold at a local hospital.

I'm dealing with the psych hold, but does anyone have any advice on getting my firearms returned to me. The AA police are suggesting it could be longer than a month to go through the process. All were legally purchased, two in Florida before I moved to MD and two locally. They included a Savage Arms .22 Rifle, Glock 23, Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, and a Colt Carbine I had just picked up the night before the "raid".

We were planning to go to Florida for the Holidays in a few weeks to get married, and the bachelor party was supposed to revolve around the gun range so this is a big disappointment. Any advice on how to expedite the process would be appreciated.

How did what your wife post on Facebook come to the attention of the police?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

I'm sure the AA LEO's do not sit on Facebook so they can watch your wife's posting. Most likely they were called by one of her friends or maybe a family member to report her mental state because they were concerned about her.

What I do not understand is how is it these friends or family members that were concerned about your wife know your wife well enough to tell the police where you live, but not enough to know how to contact you where it had to turn into a case of the LEO's going to your home and knocking down your door to look for your wife?

Also, after the LEO's did go into your home to look for your wife and did not find her because she was with you, how did this search for your wife turn into looking around for firearms? We can assume they were there in your home to look for your wife that was not answering the door or phone. We can farther deduce they went in just in case the reason your wife was not not answering the door was because she may have harmed herself and needed medical attention.

But after they could see that your wife is not in any of the rooms through your house, How did it turn into a search for guns? Did the LEO's take all of the prescription drugs out of the house as well as any sharp objects like steak knives or razor blades your wife could use to harm herself with?

I must be missing something.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    My guess is, they originally took your guns because they kicked in the door and your firearms were not locked in a safe. They can not leave your firearms in a unsafe manner, so they confiscated them. Now you will have to prove that they will be kept in a safe manner where your future wife can not get to them. You will have to wait out out some time to get them back as they will have to enter them into the system. They will have to run them and make sure they are in fact yours and registered them.

I hope your fiancée gets better. Prayers to you and your fiancée.

Well that only makes sense if the guns were just laying out in plain sight. How did the search for his wife (and after not finding her) turn into a search for guns in closets, draws, under beds, or wherever people keep guns in their home?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Well that only makes sense if the guns were just laying out in plain sight. How did the search for his wife (and after not finding her) turn into a search for guns in closets, draws, under beds, or wherever people keep guns in their home?

We are assuming they even had to search.

It's kind of more likely the gal said she was going to kill herself with one of his firearms. They get there...force entry...no one there...they arrive...police ask about guns based off of face book post...he says he has guns and willingly turns them over.

He never contested an "illegal search" of the firearms.....kind of telling me he gave them over due to the situation.

But hey...I could be wrong....my tin foil hat might not be tight this ready in the morning.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    We are assuming they even had to search.

It's kind of more likely the gal said she was going to kill herself with one of his firearms. They get there...force entry...no one there...they arrive...police ask about guns based off of face book post...he says he has guns and willingly turns them over.

He never contested an "illegal search" of the firearms.....kind of telling me he gave them over due to the situation.

But hey...I could be wrong....my tin foil hat might not be tight this ready in the morning.

OK, I read the OP more closely where he said when they got home the guns were taken. You would hope the LEO's would give the gun owner the option of relocating the guns the next day.

strapped

Aug 27, 2012
    Carroll County
    OK, I read the OP more closely where he said when they got home the guns were taken. You would hope the LEO's would gun the gun owner the option of relocating the guns the next day.

bcbg; said:
    As for the firearms, the rifles were visible, the hand guns were not. I turned over the handguns because I was concerned for her safety and I wanted to be compliant. At the time I was not fully aware of exactly what had been said/done on facebook or that she was going to be detained and evaluated. The question was not about the legality of them being taken, it was about what I can do to help the process along now that I am no longer concerned about her hurting herself. For example, would having the original paperwork from when I purchased the firearm help? Would picking up a gun safe help in alleviating the AA police departments concerns?
    His second post says that he voluntarily turned them over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom