Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 16th, 2018, 10:37 PM #1

When to Re-Blue A Barrel

While putting my long gun back in the safe I lightly bumped the barrel against the safe and and now the barrel has some very small silver looking scratches.

Do I need to have the barrel re-blued? Or will be keeping the gun wiped down with silicon cloth before putting it up be enough to protect from rust?

Thank you for your help.
JustPlinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 11:33 PM #2

No.

Probably . But if so inclined , you could use a dab of cold blue to touch up .
Biggfoot44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018, 11:50 PM #3
Glock, AR, Savage Junkie

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie

It’s a tool brother. It’s going to get scratches and dents. It you wanted a shrine, get a display case dedicated for it and you won’t have as much risk of scratching it.

There Is a period in every gun owners life where they fret over every blemish as if it truly matters. It’s understandable and I’m not trying to be cruel. But at some point you either outgrow this phase or it consumes you to the point you no longer use your gun.

Very few guns ever become valuable enough to worry about stuff like this and by the time it does become apparent, any signs of use really don’t detract much at all. Unless it’s a super rare firearm in the first place, your gun won’t lose value over normal wear. Not in any appreciable way. If you ever want a reality check on how little those scratches mean, take it to a gun shop and have them give you an estimate on what they’ll pay for it. They won’t notice the scratches and it’s worth waaaay less than you paid. Even a private buyer isn’t going to say “I was gonna give you a grand but see these two little scratches? I can only give you $500”.

Your gun is a tool. It’s BEGGING to be used. It doesn’t want to sit in a dark safe, all lonely and neglected. It wants to go to cool places and make cool memories. Sometimes those memories cause a scratch or a dent. And as long as you aren’t abusing it, those signs of honest use are endearing. Not a single one of my favorite guns is pristine. Many of the blemishes have a story, each one gives my life more value than the initial investment of the gun itself. Moreover, I’d go crazy if I worried over little scratches and stuff. The sooner you embrace this outlook the more fun you’ll have.

No matter what, refinishing almost always reduces the value of any firearm far more than scratches and wear. So there’s that.

If your roscoe ever gets too beat up you can refinish it, though I’d recommend cerakote or duracoat over bluing. They are more resistant to scratches and also provide much more corrosion resistance. But you are a long way from “needing” that. If you refinish it every time you get a new blemish, you’ll just be chasing blemishes instead of enjoying your gun. Good luck.

Selling An unfired Lyman Great Plains 54cal percussion

Buying Mossberg 500's. Old, new, sporting or tactical I'm interested
MDMOUNTAINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2018, 04:58 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
No.

Probably . But if so inclined , you could use a dab of cold blue to touch up .
This ....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old November 17th, 2018, 08:04 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMOUNTAINEER View Post
Itís a tool brother. Itís going to get scratches and dents. It you wanted a shrine, get a display case dedicated for it and you wonít have as much risk of scratching it.

There Is a period in every gun owners life where they fret over every blemish as if it truly matters. Itís understandable and Iím not trying to be cruel. But at some point you either outgrow this phase or it consumes you to the point you no longer use your gun.

Very few guns ever become valuable enough to worry about stuff like this and by the time it does become apparent, any signs of use really donít detract much at all. Unless itís a super rare firearm in the first place, your gun wonít lose value over normal wear. Not in any appreciable way. If you ever want a reality check on how little those scratches mean, take it to a gun shop and have them give you an estimate on what theyíll pay for it. They wonít notice the scratches and itís worth waaaay less than you paid. Even a private buyer isnít going to say ďI was gonna give you a grand but see these two little scratches? I can only give you $500Ē.

Your gun is a tool. Itís BEGGING to be used. It doesnít want to sit in a dark safe, all lonely and neglected. It wants to go to cool places and make cool memories. Sometimes those memories cause a scratch or a dent. And as long as you arenít abusing it, those signs of honest use are endearing. Not a single one of my favorite guns is pristine. Many of the blemishes have a story, each one gives my life more value than the initial investment of the gun itself. Moreover, Iíd go crazy if I worried over little scratches and stuff. The sooner you embrace this outlook the more fun youíll have.

No matter what, refinishing almost always reduces the value of any firearm far more than scratches and wear. So thereís that.

If your roscoe ever gets too beat up you can refinish it, though Iíd recommend cerakote or duracoat over bluing. They are more resistant to scratches and also provide much more corrosion resistance. But you are a long way from ďneedingĒ that. If you refinish it every time you get a new blemish, youíll just be chasing blemishes instead of enjoying your gun. Good luck.
Thank you for the thoughtful response and no offense taken, I love constructive criticism.

I was concerned about the gun rusting out or suffering some other sort of defect as a result of the blemishes more so than resale or keeping is pristine.

I do appreciate the reminder though that it is just a tool.
JustPlinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2018, 08:19 PM #6

What TSS said above . Just use usual care and precautions you would do anyway .
Biggfoot44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2018, 08:28 PM #7

Well, after rolling my ATV down a mountain trail this past bear season...with my Weatherby strapped to it, it might need a "touch up". Actually, it was pretty much destroyed. I bought a .30 bore straightness gauge to make sure the barrel didn't bend, but I haven't gotten the nerve yet to check it. My plan is to(if it's straight) recrown, parkerize, and restock with a synthetic stock. It's gonna cost more than the rifle did, but I can't just throw it away.
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2018, 08:46 PM #8
JMB fan club

JMB fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
Well, after rolling my ATV down a mountain trail this past bear season...with my Weatherby strapped to it, it might need a "touch up". Actually, it was pretty much destroyed. I bought a .30 bore straightness gauge to make sure the barrel didn't bend, but I haven't gotten the nerve yet to check it. My plan is to(if it's straight) recrown, parkerize, and restock with a synthetic stock. It's gonna cost more than the rifle did, but I can't just throw it away.
Damn! Pictures of the rifle?
engineerbrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2018, 08:46 PM #9

Guilty, I have guns that I have owned since the sixty's. They get used frequently and still look near new.
madmantrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2018, 08:47 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerbrian View Post
Damn! Pictures of the rifle?
Oh gyod, now I gotta look at again. Geez.

You shoulda seen me trying to roll down hill faster than my wheeler! It was uphill from where I landed and it was trying to kill me!
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing