• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I've decided I should have another 1911 and want a less-than-full size model next. Before I go buying, though, I want to run a few mags through each of a Commander and Officer, each in .45 (I'm buying .45, because I want to), to get a feel for them side by side.

Any places like On Target or TMGN that folks know of with these to rent? If not I'll have to make friends with more 1911 collectors and find someone who can meet me for range day some time.

Brands are not important for comparing how the two frames feel, but I'll probably stick with steel frames because that mass is important for soaking up energy. Perceived recoil, doncha know.

Thanks!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Both frame sizes are great but a lot depends on your intended use. The Defender is lighter and more compact for carrying. The Commander, whether Lightweight or Combat Commander, has the full-size grip and the 3/4" shorter barrel and slide. For my purposes, I don't really see the point of the steel Combat Commander...you're still carrying nearly the same weight as a Government Model for only a slight weight savings.

When I was in law enforcement I carried a Lightweight Commander off-duty often. I still have that pistol and also have a couple of Defenders now. If I was still able to carry I would likely use one of those.

Still...when it comes to 1911 pistols...what's not to like?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I read a great article a few years back about springs and reliability in the officers model. I'll see if I can find it.

In a nutshell, the article said that your recoil spring will need to be changed more often than people realize. I think 500 rounds was the number?

Anyhoo, before I bought, I'd PM John Carduner (Trikshot) and pick his brain a bit. One thing I do know about the smaller 1911's is that everything has to be spot on in regards to timing or it'll fail.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Commander . And a "real " commander of 4.25 in .

Because that's as much as you can shrink a 1911 , and still function reasonably like a 1911 , you can't alter the laws of physics .

The differences are subtle, but :

Carried OWB underneath a shirt tail , that 0.75in does make a meaningful difference .

On a Combat Commander , the balance is different than a 1911 . The CC balances more like a modern " duty size " pistol , while the 1911 feels muzzle heavy to modern tastes . Not saying one is better , but they are different , and ( viable) choices are good .

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    Officer Quirks

I read a great article a few years back about springs and reliability in the officers model. I'll see if I can find it.

In a nutshell, the article said that your recoil spring will need to be changed more often than people realize. I think 500 rounds was the number?

Anyhoo, before I bought, I'd PM John Carduner (Trikshot) and pick his brain a bit. One thing I do know about the smaller 1911's is that everything has to be spot on in regards to timing or it'll fail.
    ============================================
    INKD is correct in stating that things happen much quicker in a 3~3-1/2 "Officer". Standard Barrel Bushings will crack in about 500~750 rds, due to the higher angle of elevation that a Barrel goes, to when going in"full battery" aka: springback. Therefore, always go "Bushingless". Recoil spring weight will be much heavier, in the 21 ~ 23# range for 230 ball ammo (tougher racking of the Slide). Recoil Spring life will also be reduced. Also, make sure that the pistol has an extended Ejector, in order to clear the Ejection Port sooner. Also, do not use a Recoil Buffer. If you do, when pulling the Slide back to "slingshot" or chamber a round, the Slide may not be able to be pulled back enough to clear the back of the Slide Stop from its engagement notch in the Slide. Finally, if you choose an aluminum frame, I strongly recommend that the Frame's feed ramp be either a steel or titanium type, as extended firing will start to groove the aluminum feed ramp, causing reliability problems. I can install these, if requested. BTW - I get these to run very well.

The above statements are just my general opinions, based upon builds of my own and work on customer's pistols.

Last edited:

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County

Because that's as much as you can shrink a 1911 , and still function reasonably like a 1911 , you can't alter the laws of physics .

Carried OWB underneath a shirt tail , that 0.75in does make a meaningful difference .

On a Combat Commander , the balance is different than a 1911 . The CC balances more like a modern " duty size " pistol , while the 1911 feels muzzle heavy to modern tastes . Not saying one is better , but they are different , and ( viable) choices are good .

I agree 100%.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I agree 100%.

Absolutely.

The ONE pistol that I regret selling, was my Colt Combat Commander.

PERFECT balance.

One of the most STOOPID things I've ever done, is selling that pistol.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    This is great information, extra thanks to trikshot and biggfoot!

I'm not so hot on the idea of replacing parts so often, and also (being in Maryland and not "special" enough for a WCP) won't be carrying anything anywhere. So the Defender/Officer size advantage really isn't one for me.

Must find me a couple of Commanders to shoot (lightweight and steel) and hopefully a little guy to compare, then start saving some spare change...

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    trikshot, great info.

OP, you may also consider what is known as a CCO size model. It is a Commander slide on an officer size frame. Just throwing that our there as another option to consider. I have considered that as build a couple times.

I haven’t shot an officer model but I can say the loss of the slide and barrel length on the commander produce size produces an inordinate increase on recoil. Nothing major or unmanageable... just a loss of the smoother 5” gun’s character. Good idea to shoot both first.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Another Sig 1911 C3 lover here.
    Commander slide on an Officer's Model height frame.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I carry a Commander some days, and honestly I don't think the barrel size is what makes the difference between it and my lighter carry guns, it's the weight. It's a nice thin gun but when you go from an LC9 all day to a 1911 you sure know it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Felt recoil is personal & subjective, etc, etc, but that wasn't my experience . Yeah, a light weight Commander kicks more than a steel 1911 , but not disporportionately, and still quite manageable . ( Implied theme - That's a Lightweight , with a CC , the difference will be much smaller .)

Added - Heck , I even used to own a Para P12 ( Ofc length ) , that actually was reliable with the loads I used while I had it . The recoil per se was managable enough . But didn't really fit my hand well , I knew that with inevitable laws of physics it would be ammo and grip sensitive , spring changeouts and tuning would be coming, and I had other pistols better fill the niche . So I gifted it .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Okaaaay .

Actually , I'm surprised the thread made it this far without 1911 bashing generally .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Damn , this thread is almost motivating me to break out my ( so-called ) Series 70 Combat Commander .

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Okaaaay .

Actually , I'm surprised the thread made it this far without 1911 bashing generally .

I know, it's the MDS way. You can start a thread on "should I get a yellow Corvette or a red one" and within twenty posts you'll have a full blown discussion obsessed with where you will get the best deal on a new F150.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Like what you like. Buy what whatever floats your boat. Shoot whatever caliber you want. Ask for the experience of others, but ignore any that start with "I've never owned...", "and "If I were you..." :rolleyes:

I heard a really good joke that sort of relates to this thread: .45 G.A.P. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom