• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhartmac1

Jun 3, 2018
    VA-Front Royal
    Ok I have a duel residence but my DL is VA, I believe I can purchase a shotgun in MD right? Just a nics? or even transfer one here?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    can't really have "dual residence." Which state do you spend 183 days in? Thats the state that you pay taxes to, in which you should vote, and should have on your DL. That is also the state in which to purchase handguns.

jhartmac1

Jun 3, 2018
    VA-Front Royal
    can't really have "dual residence." Which state do you spend 183 days in? Thats the state that you pay taxes to, in which you should vote, and should have on your DL. That is also the state in which to purchase handguns.

You are correct, my DL and carry is VA, I work in MD and sometimes stay here in MD through the week (job). Sometimes its just easier for a xfer for me, Im down the road a piece in VA lol.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I won't restart the Dual Residency discussion here.

BUT , a straight up Va resident can indeed purchase shotguns, and Md compliant rifles from a Md located FFL with the usual process.

Va resident can NOT purchase directly from private person.

As noted , handguns must be purchased in Va .

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yes, you can for purposes of this question. Theoretically, you could have more than two states of residence for firearm purchasing purposes.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2010-6-state-residence/download

This ruling points to some of the residency guidance out there if you are interested.

Then what proof of “residency” would you have from, let’s say Pennsylvania, when you have a Maryland drivers license? Remember, must have name, photo, dob and address to be valid form. Cannot have Pennsylvania DL if you have Maryland.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Then what proof of “residency” would you have from, let’s say Pennsylvania, when you have a Maryland drivers license? Remember, must have name, photo, dob and address to be valid form. Cannot have Pennsylvania DL if you have Maryland.

All of the information need not be on one piece of government-issued documentation. You can supplement the photo ID with separate government-issued documentation in order to establish proof of residency.

All you need is (1) government-issued photo ID with certain information and (2) government-issued documentation of your residence address. This can be easily satisfied with a MD DL and PA tax bill, as explained in multiple Rulings and the 4473 instructions.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download

Instructions for 18a and 18b on page 5.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    To me the ATF description states it must have all that on it. Maybe I’m interpreting the meaning wrong but I don’t believe you can go to a FFL with tax bill because ATF states that “ownership of a home by itself does does not constitute residency”. If you can do it then great then I can go back to Pennsylvania to get my long guns. But why are talking about this? You live in a free state and have no restrictions like those of us in the Gulag of Marylinistan.

Attachments

• 241D090D-ADAA-4DC4-B8BE-9B4686359A0B.jpg
      241D090D-ADAA-4DC4-B8BE-9B4686359A0B.jpg
      178.3 KB · Views: 152

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    To me the ATF description states it must have all that on it. Maybe I’m interpreting the meaning wrong but I don’t believe you can go to a FFL with tax bill because ATF states that “ownership of a home by itself does does not constitute residency”. If you can do it then great then I can go back to Pennsylvania to get my long guns. But why are talking about this? You live in a free state and have no restrictions like those of us in the Gulag of Marylinistan.

The instructions on the 4473 are pretty clear, it gives the tax bill as the second piece of supporting documentation as an example. Correct, owning property alone is NOT residency. That goes back to the ruling I posted: residency is about intent of the person.

I would say CT is far worse than MD, that gave me a chuckle :).

ETA: the last sentence of your post says a combination of documents may be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom